trying to buy tin for an alloy

  • gregsfoundry
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 6, 2012
      Hi hobbicast I am wondering if you can help me in my seemingly endless search for tin. I live in Australia and am searching for some tin to make an alloy for some bells. I have searched hi and low for just small quantities of tin but alas no luck after much effort. My problem is I dont need a lot and this stops any interest from bigger companies. If anyone can help me I would be very grateful. P.s. I have been a member for a while now and have really enjoyed the wonderful knowledge being shared ...thanks for that. When this project is complete I will post some pics and comments :)
    • Ron Thompson
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 7, 2012
        <http://www.goodfellow.com/E/Tin-Foil.html>

        --

        Ron Thompson

        Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

        http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

        Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
      • phil
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 7, 2012
          Do you have lead free plumbing solder in ozz? ordinary solder is lead
          and tin with very small amounts of antimony and bismuth, it follows that
          lead free solder will be mostly tin (but I would check on this!) If you
          only want a small amount that would suffice. Is there any natural
          deposits of cassiterite (tin ore) in Ozz? might be fun to smelt your
          own, but keep well away from the fumes just in case eh?

          Phil.
          UK

        • Carl
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 7, 2012
            http://www.rotometals.com/Tin-Ingot-s/27.htm%c2%a0  Greg:Roto Metals sells tin by the pound for about $17. They do ship international. They say they can give you a quote on shipping if you put in your zip code. You said you only need a small amount. The foil tops on wine bottles are tin. If you have friends that are wine drinkers, get them to save the foil for you. You could also try wine makers to see where they buy the tin foil new. Maybe they have some scraps or leftovers from an older style bottle. Solder is up to 67% tin but the 33% lead might be a problem for you. Lead free solder has a similar amount of tin but again the other metals could be a problem. I believe with a fairly simple electric cell it is possible to separate the tin from the lead. Carl

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 7, 2012
              I needed a bit of tin for an experiment before I had easy internet
              access... I picked up a few tin soldiers at a local antique show.
              They were inexpensive because they'd been mangled beyond
              collectability.

              If you're after a small quantity, you might try ebay for unpainted tin soldiers:

              http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fifer-American-Revolution-1st-New-York-unpainted-tin-soldier-Leddy-Slack-/150779025190?pt=Toy_Soldiers&hash=item231b215726

              I try to avoid ruining something antique that I think someone might
              want for their collection, but it appears that this auction if for a
              new tin-soldier...
            • Rod
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 7, 2012
                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "gregsfoundry" <gregorybold@...> wrote:

                > Hi hobbicast I am wondering if you can help me in my seemingly endless search for tin. I live in Australia and am searching for some tin to make an alloy for some bells. I have searched hi and low for just small quantities of tin but alas no luck after much effort. My problem is I dont need a lot and this stops any interest from bigger companies. If anyone can help me I would be very grateful. P.s. I have been a member for a while now and have really enjoyed the wonderful knowledge being shared ...thanks for that. When this project is complete I will post some pics and comments :)

                You might consider lead free pewter, R-98 is
                nearly pure tin. We use R-8 pewter that is 92%
                tin. Miniature Molds ships internationally,
                <http://www.miniaturemolds.com/index.htm> and
                sells pure tin plus various pewter alloys.

                Rod
              • bold gregory
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 7, 2012
                  Actually a bit of lead would not hurt ...thanks for that ....and apparently there is alluvial tin in oz so perhaps I will have to get my swag out and find a creek ...thanks for that too :)

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 7, 2012
                    Thanks Pierre ..what a great suggestion !!! I am an artist and treasure things made well or of significant collectability so nothing but mangled ones will hit the heat...:)

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 7, 2012
                      Thanks Rod ...you guys have just solved it for me ...eternally grateful  ...will post results of this project here when it is complete ...:) :) :)

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 7, 2012
                        Carl !!! electrolysis !!! what a helpful tip ...and out this way is a wine growing region ...Im sure one of my old lush friends will help me out lol ...cheers !!! Greg

                        ________________________________
[...]

                      • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 7, 2012
                          Greg

                          In the UK I use plumbers lead free solder, spec 99C: its %99.7 tin and the rest copper, to make bronze. It should be available in Oz.

                          Malcolm

                          Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                          The writing is on the wall.

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 7, 2012
                            Thanks Malcolm ...that may well be the best option now that you have told me the other ingredient is copper...that is the bell mix ...80 % copper , 20% tin ....wonderful ...thanks heaps !!!!
                            Greg

                            Hi hobbicast I am wondering if you can help me in my seemingly endless search for tin. I live in Australia and am searching for some tin to make an alloy for some bells. I have searched hi and low for just small quantities of tin but alas no luck after much effort. My problem is I dont need a lot and this stops any interest from bigger companies. If anyone can help me I would be very grateful. P.s. I have been a member for a while now and have really enjoyed the wonderful knowledge being shared ...thanks for that. When this project is complete I will post some pics and comments :)

                          • Brian Kwan
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 8, 2012
                              Hi,

                              The city would help. When I lived in Melbourne I got pewter and pure tin from Consolidated Alloys, now I get it from Hayes metals in NZ. There was a nice hobby shop in Nunawadding for small amounts.

                              Regards Brian
                              *******

                              <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359715/grpId=1941855/grpspId=1705062985/msgId=3857/stime=1333879143/nc1=4025373/nc2=5191952/nc3=5028924>