Homemade cast iron analysed

  • ferrman1001
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2012
      To Dave Patterson and to anyone else interested I decided to get my homemade cast iron professionally analysed. So what is the difference between steel and cast iron? In my copy of Machinery's Handbook 20th Edition it states on page 2166 "cast iron usually contains from 1.7% to 4.5% carbon and from 1% to 3% silicon. The analysis was within that range.

      This book proved very useful in finding out how much chromium was in ball bearing races: pages 2091 and 2100. As I used ball bearing races and had to keep the chromium content below 1% so the cast iron could be cut with normal cutting tips the analysis was well under 1%. This book also has a lot of useful information about what is in nonferrous alloys.

      To read the full analysis of my homemade cast iron, click onto this link: http://youtu.be/NkTM4-O7z6E To anyone reading this post and being new to this forum it would make more sense to watch first video I made on this subject, click onto this link: http://youtu.be/pqMB9EumHQg
      Ernie
    • David Patterson
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2012
        Looks like you hit it pretty close.