Re: [hobbicast] Re: First attempt at induction heating

  • David Knaack
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 31, 2012
      Fantastic information, thanks!

      You mentioned your website. I'm not familiar with it, can you post a link?

      DK

      On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 9:28 PM, tmoranwms <tmoranwms@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > The usual computer supply uses a "half bridge" circuit, which allows it to
      > recirculate energy through the transformer.
      >
      > When you have a coil tightly coupled to the workpiece, like a coil wrapped
      > around a soup can, relatively little energy has to be recirculated for the
      > amount of heating you'll get. As a bonus, the soup can is thin steel, so it
      > heats up very quickly.
      >
      > What you won't be able to do is heating from any kind of distance -- with
      > even a small gap between can and coil, the physical space inbetween is
      > filled with extra magnetic field, which

      [...]

    • Les
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2012
        Hi,
        How do you plan to synchronize the oscillators in a number of power supplies so the outputs are as the same frequency and in phase ?

        Les.

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "ferrman1001" <ferrman1001@...> wrote:

        > I had a go at modifying a computer power supply so it will heat up a soup can. It was amazing to watch it get to red hot in about 15 seconds. All I have to do now is to get another nine computer power supplies and hook up the outlets in parallel so I can have a serious output for a small induction furnace. Click on the link for the video.
        > http://youtu.be/X4zIO4zYSnk Ernie

      • tmoranwms
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2012
          Sure, my website is:
          http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms/
          Specifically you'll find the induction heater project under Projects/Electronics.

          Tim

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, David Knaack <davidknaack@...> wrote:

          > Fantastic information, thanks!
          >
          > You mentioned your website. I'm not familiar with it, can you post a link?
          >
          > DK
        • Glenn N
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2, 2012
            Tim,
            Great webpage. :)
            I found a pump like this one
          • Glenn N
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2, 2012
              That was odd. It stripped the url even along with the rest of the text.
              Anyway I have a piston pump from a small electric steam carpet cleaner I
              bought at Surplus center. It runs my TIG cooler nicely so it should work
              for your coil.
              About 30 years ago I repaired a tube type induction heating device that was
              used to temper chamber reamers. It was very much like the low frequency
              beacons I maintained. (Homer, Compass Locator) and ran a lot of the same
              tubes. I only changed a few tubes and tuned it to the chart on the side and
              they were happy so I really didn't get to investigate it a bunch. Point
              being that you may be able to still find some surplus transmitters cheap
              that could be turned into a heater with the right tanks.

              Glenn
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 2, 2012
                Last time I looked the seat of my pants was not burning but all jokes aside I learned alot from this project about electricity that I did not know before so I think that has to be a good thing for me.

                Ernie.
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2, 2012
                  On Feb 2, 2012, at 6:46 PM, ferrman1001 wrote:

                  > Last time I looked the seat of my pants was not burning but all jokes aside I learned alot from this project about electricity that I did not know before so I think that has to be a good thing for me.

                  Thats all good and fine, but playing around with a arc welder for a power supply is a whole other ball park.

                  Best,

                  Jeshua Lacock
                  Founder/Engineer
                  3DTOPO Incorporated
                  <http://3DTOPO.com>
                  Phone: 208.462.4171
                • oldstudentmsgt
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 3, 2012
                    Why? 50 milliamps is enough to kill you. The extra amperage just flash-cooks the remains.

                    You just want to be sure you know enough not to get that first 50mA.

                    Bill in OKC

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 3, 2012
                      On Feb 3, 2012, at 4:11 AM, oldstudentmsgt wrote:

                      > Why? 50 milliamps is enough to kill you. The extra amperage just flash-cooks the remains.
                      >
                      > You just want to be sure you know enough not to get that first 50mA.

                      Because 50 amps is way more likely to kill you then 50 milliamps.

                      For 50 milliamps all of the conditions have to be exactly right. 50 amps @ 240 volts - there is way less margin for error.

                      Its just extremely dangerous. There is no comparison of playing with a 12 volt versus a 240 volt power supply.

                      In additional to increased electrocution you also have increased danger from starting a major fire and god knows what else.

                      I just wouldn't play with a 240v 50 amp power supply unless I really knew what I was doing. I don't think it is something to tinker around with. "Gee what does it do when I connect this to this?"

                      Best,

                      Jeshua Lacock
                      Founder/Engineer
                      3DTOPO Incorporated