Sand Mixer

  • Ned Digh
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 29, 2011
      Brian posted:

      "Brian D. W." bd_ski@... bd_ski
      Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:51 pm (PDT)Hey - what's the general preferred
      method of mulling sand to re-cast with. I'm trying not to make a
      project out of this, but would like something/some machine that I can
      just throw my sand in and come back in a little while and be good to
      go. Was thinking about picking up one of those harbor fright 1-1/4
      Cubic Ft. Cement Mixers and maybe modify it or maybe even just throw
      few small cannon balls in it - kind of like a ball mill. Anyhow -
      thought I'd ask, maybe someone out there has already got a cool/
      simple setup.?. Brian

      Reply from Ned Digh: Brian, I have successfully used the HF mixer to
      mix my sand. I don't call it a muller, that brings all sorts of
      unwanted comments. I have experimented with several shapes of fixed
      paddles and still have not settled on a best shape. The fixed
      paddles in the rotating mixer tend to raise the sand mix up causing
      an overflow if I am not watching it. I plan to add height to the
      mixing bowl with a 2 or 3 inch ring around the top, either temporary
      or fixed, will try a temporary ring first to make sure it prevents
      overflow. I have posted a photo of the mixer, "#1 HF Mixer" and the
      album is "Ned's Mixer". Hope this helps. Ned

    • abascirocco
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 29, 2011
        Have you seen THIS VIDEO <http://youtu.be/tU7zJJ_DCTo> of the muller
        some guy built out of Harbor Freight concrete mixer?

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Ned Digh <npdigh@...> wrote:

        > Brian posted:
        >
        > "Brian D. W." bd_ski@... bd_ski
        > Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:51 pm (PDT)Hey - what's the general preferred
        > method of mulling sand to re-cast with. I'm trying not to make a
        > project out of this, but would like something/some machine that I can
        > just throw my sand in and come back in a little while and be good to
        > go. Was thinking about picking up one of those harbor fright 1-1/4
        > Cubic Ft. Cement Mixers and maybe modify it or maybe even just throw
        > few small cannon balls in it - kind of like a ball mill. Anyhow -
        > thought I'd ask, maybe someone out there has already got a cool/
        > simple setup.?. Brian
        >
        > Reply from Ned Digh: Brian, I have successfully used the HF mixer to
        > mix my sand. I don't call it a muller, that brings all sorts of
        > unwanted comments. I have experimented with several shapes of fixed
        > paddles and still have not settled on a best shape. The fixed
        > paddles in the rotating mixer tend to raise the sand mix up causing
        > an overflow if I am not watching it. I plan to add height to the
        > mixing bowl with a 2 or 3 inch ring around the top, either temporary
        > or fixed, will try a temporary ring first to make sure it prevents
        > overflow. I have posted a photo of the mixer, "#1 HF Mixer" and the
        > album is "Ned's Mixer". Hope this helps. Ned

      • Kerri Duncan
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 29, 2011
          Ned- are you using greensand or petrobond?

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 29, 2011
            Finally, A real muller and not a mixer.

            Dennis Cranston

            some guy built out of Harbor Freight concrete mixer?

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Ned Digh <npdigh@...> wrote:

            > Brian posted:
            >
            > "Brian D. W." bd_ski@... bd_ski
            > Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:51 pm (PDT)Hey - what's the general preferred
            > method of mulling sand to re-cast with. I'm trying not to make a
            > project out of this, but would like something/some machine that I can
            > just throw my sand in and come back in a little while and be good to
            > go. Was thinking about picking up one of those harbor fright 1-1/4
            > Cubic Ft. Cement Mixers and maybe modify it or maybe even just throw
            > few small cannon balls in it - kind of like a ball mill. Anyhow -
            > thought I'd ask, maybe someone out there has already got a cool/
            > simple setup.?. Brian
            >
            > Reply from Ned Digh: Brian, I have successfully used the HF mixer to
            > mix my sand. I don't call it a muller, that brings all sorts of
            > unwanted comments. I have experimented with several shapes of fixed
            > paddles and still have not settled on a best shape. The fixed
            > paddles in the rotating mixer tend to raise the sand mix up causing
            > an overflow if I am not watching it. I plan to add height to the
            > mixing bowl with a 2 or 3 inch ring around the top, either temporary
            > or fixed, will try a temporary ring first to make sure it prevents
            > overflow. I have posted a photo of the mixer, "#1 HF Mixer" and the
            > album is "Ned's Mixer". Hope this helps. Ned

            check out these two affiliated sites:

            List Owner:

          • Brian D. W.
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 29, 2011
              That's too funny!  I found that video yesterday,,,  when in doubt or searching for ideas - try youtube..  What a fantastic design.   Anyhow - thanks to everyone who gave some thoughts - for some reason my original question took days to post.?.

              Brian,

              some guy built out of Harbor Freight concrete mixer?

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Ned Digh <npdigh@...> wrote:

              > Brian posted:
              >
              > "Brian D. W." bd_ski@... bd_ski
              > Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:51 pm (PDT)Hey - what's the general preferred
              > method of mulling sand to re-cast with. I'm trying not to make a
              > project out of this, but would like something/some machine that I can
              > just throw my sand in and come back in a little while and be good to
              > go. Was thinking about picking up one of those harbor fright 1-1/4
              > Cubic Ft. Cement Mixers and maybe modify it or maybe even just throw
              > few small cannon balls in it - kind of like a ball mill. Anyhow -
              > thought I'd ask, maybe someone out there has already got a cool/
              > simple setup.?. Brian
              >
              > Reply from Ned Digh: Brian, I have successfully used the HF mixer to
              > mix my sand. I don't call it a muller, that brings all sorts of
              > unwanted comments. I have experimented with several shapes of fixed
              > paddles and still have not settled on a best shape. The fixed
              > paddles in the rotating mixer tend to raise the sand mix up causing
              > an overflow if I am not watching it. I plan to add height to the
              > mixing bowl with a 2 or 3 inch ring around the top, either temporary
              > or fixed, will try a temporary ring first to make sure it prevents
              > overflow. I have posted a photo of the mixer, "#1 HF Mixer" and the
              > album is "Ned's Mixer". Hope this helps. Ned

            • Ron Thompson
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 29, 2011
                On 9/29/2011 3:53 PM, Brian D. W. wrote:

                > That's too funny! I found that video yesterday,,, when in doubt or
                > searching for ideas - try youtube.. What a fantastic design.Â
                > Â Anyhow - thanks to everyone who gave some thoughts - for some reason
                > my original question took days to post.?.
                > Brian,

                Small batches can be done with a kitchen mixer. To walk away, you need a
                stand mixer. I have used a Kitchenaid with acceptable results, but they
                are pricy.
                <http://www.google.com/search?q=kitchenaid+mixer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a>

                --

                Ron Thompson

                There are two kinds of posts on newsgroups.
                1. This is what I have done...
                2. This is what I think...
                Be aware of the difference!

                http://www.ourcadguy.com/

                Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

              • Allen Powell
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 29, 2011
                  Hey, that's the one I built! Sure makes a quick job of mulling sand. Not
                  huge, but works well for me and was cheap to build. Materials less than $120
                  including the mixer!

                  On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Dennis <dlcranston@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Finally, A real muller and not a mixer.
                  >
                  > Dennis Cranston

                • Brian D. W.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 29, 2011
                    Hey Allen!  Thanks for that video on craigslist - I think that I'll model mine off of the your design.  You did a really nice job.

                    Thx
                    Brian

                    Hey, that's the one I built! Sure makes a quick job of mulling sand. Not
                    huge, but works well for me and was cheap to build. Materials less than $120
                    including the mixer!

                    On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Dennis <dlcranston@...> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Finally, A real muller and not a mixer.
                    >
                    > Dennis Cranston

                  • David Knaack
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 29, 2011
                      On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Dennis <dlcranston@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >
                      > Finally, A real muller and not a mixer.

                      Can I get some opinions on the relative merits of mixing vs mulling?

                      Does mulling achieve something that mixing does not, if time is not a large
                      consideration?

                      Thanks!
                      DaveK

                    • abascirocco
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 29, 2011
                        Nicely done Allen!

                        Out of curiosity, what the capacity of your muller?

                        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Allen Powell <apowellx@...> wrote:

                        > Hey, that's the one I built! Sure makes a quick job of mulling sand. Not
                        > huge, but works well for me and was cheap to build. Materials less than $120
                        > including the mixer!
                        >
                        > On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Dennis <dlcranston@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Finally, A real muller and not a mixer.
                        > >
                        > > Dennis Cranston

                      • Allen Powell
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 29, 2011
                          Thanks. It sure beats stomping out the clumps on a tarp on my driveway!

                          Al

                        • Allen Powell
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 29, 2011
                            Thanks. I have cut down the top of the original mixer and reinstalled it
                            which make the sides about 3-4 inches taller above the ring gear. This
                            prevents sand from being pushed out by the roller wheel when I get it over
                            filled and allows a cleaner dump out after mulling. It holds about 1/2 to
                            3/4 of a orange Home Depot 5 gal bucket, about 20 to 25 lbs I guess. I'll
                            have to make a new video of how it looks now. I still want to make a
                            adjustable spring tensioner and side scraper for the wheel.

                          • Lyle
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 30, 2011
                              Mulling evenly coats the sand particles with the binder with a squishing action. It will actually force the binder against the sand particle. A mixer will work with some core sands providing the blades run pretty tight against the barrel. And they will work for green sand that runs a higher percentage of binder than petrobond but a true muller is still a better deal as it mulls and mixes.

                              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, David Knaack <davidknaack@...> wrote:

                              > On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Dennis <dlcranston@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >
                              > > Finally, A real muller and not a mixer.
                              > >

                              > Can I get some opinions on the relative merits of mixing vs mulling?
                              >
                              > Does mulling achieve something that mixing does not, if time is not a large
                              > consideration?
                              >
                              > Thanks!
                              > DaveK

                            • Brian D. W.
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 30, 2011
                                lol - I meant thanks for that video on youtube..  (laughing)

                                Brian,