Re: [hobbicast] Cupola coke alternative

  • giesser@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2011
      The best alternative for small cupolas is hardwood charcoal. Really.

      From: Scott Trostel <blwloco@...>
      Sender: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 09:15:39
      To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com<hobbicast@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [hobbicast] Cupola coke alternative

      Most full process steel mills have coke ovens and so do several of the larger oil refineries.  Check around your area to see who is processing coal into coke.

      Scott

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2011
        Can you expand a little bit? What size range of cupola would charcoal
        be appropriate for?

        At 01:31 PM 9/11/2011, you wrote:
        >The best alternative for small cupolas is hardwood charcoal. Really.

        Dick Morris
        Anchorage, Alaska
      • giesser@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11, 2011
          Since you need to have air flow through the iron, carbon and limestone mix, you can't use really small pieces. I would suggest a size that is between one-fith to one tenth the diameter of the cupola.

          Remember that before we had coal for coke, all iron was melted with charcoal. In Brazil all of the pig iron is made with charcoal and not coke. Charcoal has the added advantage of being sulfur free. Sulfur has a nasty habit of making the iron brittle.

          Tom Cobett
          Cleveland, OH

          tcobett@...

          From: Dick Morris <rmorris@...>
          Sender: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 16:08:57
          To: <hobbicast@yahoogroups.com>

          At 01:31 PM 9/11/2011, you wrote:
          >The best alternative for small cupolas is hardwood charcoal. Really.

          Dick Morris
          Anchorage, Alaska

        • Nick Andrews
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2011
            Which can be made form pieces of 2x4 easily...

            On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM, <giesser@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > The best alternative for small cupolas is hardwood charcoal. Really.

            Nick A

            "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
            single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

            deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
            of Pennsylvania, 1759

            "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the
            streets after them." Bill Vaughan

            "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
            Plato

          • Scrolling8
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 13, 2011
              Volume wise, about twice the volume of charcoal to replace the coke due to charcoal being less dense- therefore less btu's per cubic volume. You will burn through it more quickly. Unfortunately with a stronge air flow the charcoal can have some dificulty staying in the cupola. If at all possible make you own coke from bituminous coal.