Perhaps OT but you guys work with brass and copper

  • ezme@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2011
      I am desperately trying to find a chemical that will blacken brass. I currently have Caswell A311 Flemmish Grey that works ok on copper but only makes brass a dark brown and it is inconsistent in the darkness and noticeably not black. I did have some Ebanol that worked very well but that product seems to be no longer available.

      I have degreased and sand blasted the brass.

      Any other suggestions baring painting? Perhaps an ink (very thin unlike paint).

      Mike
    • Stephen Lovely
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2011
        I had some brass a while back that needed to be welded back together. I
        suggested
        brazing, but the welder had some rod for brass that he wanted to try. The
        heat from the
        welding burned the zinc out of the surface and it ended up looking like
        copper until I
        buffed it and got the brass color back. Maybe after heating to get rid of
        surface zinc it'd take a nice patina from the Flemmish Grey. You could also
        look at http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm
        for some ideas.

        I have used non-hardening photo fixer (hypo aka sodium thiosulfate) with a
        touch of muriatic acid to blacken copper the pinholes in a pinhole camera.
        It worked well but the
        coating was very fragile if it got too thick.

        Try a search for "black patina brass"

        scl

        On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 3:30 PM, ezme@... <ezme@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I am desperately trying to find a chemical that will blacken brass. I
        > currently have Caswell A311 Flemmish Grey that works ok on copper but only
        > makes brass a dark brown and it is inconsistent in the darkness and
        > noticeably not black. I did have some Ebanol that worked very well but that
        > product seems to be no longer available.
        >
        > I have degreased and sand blasted the brass.
        >
        > Any other suggestions baring painting? Perhaps an ink (very thin unlike
        > paint).
        >
        > Mike

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2011
          Gun blueing will darken brass...also Liver of sulfur...I used that on my dog sculpture:
          http://metalshop.homestead.com/lostwaxdog.html

          Dave D

        • ezme@rogers.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
            Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I would not be able apply any of them. The object reqquiring blacking is fabricated from many pieces held together with either silver solder or soft solder, I am afraid to apply any heat. Also I am looking for really black finish. The good news is your replies did lead me to another approach. I am going to try ordinary black shoe polish. An experimental piece shows promise. Make the object as dark as possible with the Flemmish grey and brush on the black shoe polish. The result is a nearly black finish with a nice sheen, it also can tolerate some handling and is easy to touch up. Putting the shoe black on will mean that all painted lettering and decoration will have to be done first followed by the boot blacking. The polish shines up nicely with a sable paint brush. Durability is still a question mark, has any one any thoughts on how the boot polish will age?

            Mike

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <drescher3@...> wrote:

            > Gun blueing will darken brass...also Liver of sulfur...I used that on my dog sculpture:
            > http://metalshop.homestead.com/lostwaxdog.html
            >
            > Dave D
            >

            > > On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 3:30 PM, ezme@ <ezme@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > **
            > > >

            > > > I am desperately trying to find a chemical that will blacken brass. I
            > > > currently have Caswell A311 Flemmish Grey that works ok on copper but only
            > > > makes brass a dark brown and it is inconsistent in the darkness and
            > > > noticeably not black. I did have some Ebanol that worked very well but that
            > > > product seems to be no longer available.
            > > >
            > > > I have degreased and sand blasted the brass.
            > > >
            > > > Any other suggestions baring painting? Perhaps an ink (very thin unlike
            > > > paint).
            > > >
            > > > Mike

          • Carlos Contreras
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2011
              Did you try with Potasium sulfate diluted in Nitric Acid...?

              All the Best

            • postello@msu.edu
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6, 2011
                powder coat it?
                Scott Walker; Wisconsin; Madison; Maddow the collective bargaining
                situation in Wisconsin

                Quoting "ezme@..." <ezme@...>:

                > Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I would not be able apply any
                > of them. The object reqquiring blacking is fabricated from many
                > pieces held together with either silver solder or soft solder, I am
                > afraid to apply any heat. Also I am looking for really black finish.
                > The good news is your replies did lead me to another approach. I am
                > going to try ordinary black shoe polish. An experimental piece shows
                > promise. Make the object as dark as possible with the Flemmish grey
                > and brush on the black shoe polish. The result is a nearly black
                > finish with a nice sheen, it also can tolerate some handling and is
                > easy to touch up. Putting the shoe black on will mean that all
                > painted lettering and decoration will have to be done first followed
                > by the boot blacking. The polish shines up nicely with a sable paint
                > brush. Durability is still a question mark, has any one any thoughts
                > on how the boot polish will age?
                >
                > Mike
                >
                > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <drescher3@...> wrote:
                >>

                >> Gun blueing will darken brass...also Liver of sulfur...I used that
                >> on my dog sculpture:
                >> http://metalshop.homestead.com/lostwaxdog.html
                >>
                >> Dave D

                >> copper but only
                >> well but that

              • Kerri Duncan
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 10, 2011
                  Sorry I am a bit late in the mix here- but the military guys have a blackout solution that can be re-applied to matte black surfaces that have been worn- as well have you considered a flat black stove paint? this can be thinned and applied over several coats to achieve a smooth finish that is not only matte black, but durable as well...

                  Kerri

                • michael.a.porter@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 10, 2011
                    If you're willing to try shoe polish, then you'd be better of using Rub 'n Buff:
                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081HYE6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00081HYDM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13XD7V7ZGY0S1GA0HA79">http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081HYE6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00081HYDM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13XD7V7ZGY0S1GA0HA79

                    I used to apply the silver and gold versions of this stuff to ornamental iron table bases back in the sixties; jewelers use it to give an "antique" effect to silver
                    and gold surfaces. It is very durable once it has had a couple of days to dry. If you've already used the shoe polish, simply take it off with rubbing alcohol.
                    Mikey

                    Quoting "ezme%40rogers.com" target=_blank>ezme@..." <ezme@...>:

                    > Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I would not be able apply any

                    > of them. The object reqquiring blacking is fabricated from many

                    > pieces held together with either silver solder or soft solder, I am

                    > afraid to apply any heat. Also I am looking for really black finish.

                    > The good news is your replies did lead me to another approach. I am

                    > going to try ordinary black shoe polish. An experimental piece shows

                    > promise. Make the object as dark as possible with the Flemmish grey

                    > and brush on the black shoe polish. The result is a nearly black

                    > finish with a nice sheen, it also can tolerate some handling and is

                    > easy to touch up. Putting the shoe black on will mean that all

                    > painted lettering and decoration will have to be done first followed

                    > by the boot blacking. The polish shines up nicely with a sable paint

                    > brush. Durability is still a question mark, has any one any thoughts

                    > on how the boot polish will age?

                    > Mike

                    > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <drescher3@...> wrote:

                    >> Gun blueing will darken brass...also Liver of sulfur...I used that

                    >> on my dog sculpture:

                    >> metalshop.homestead.com/lostwaxdog.html" target=_blank>http://metalshop.homestead.com/lostwaxdog.html

                    >> Dave D

                    >> copper but only

                    >> well but that

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 12, 2011
                      Thanks for the info but I tried to order and was
                      informed "Sorry this item cannot be shipped to your address"

                      I live in Ontario Canada

                      I suppose it's some kind of dumb environmental issue.

                      I would like to try the product because according
                      to the literature it looks better and perhaps
                      more long lasting than shoe polish. Some of the
                      other Rub N Stuff colours also look interesting.

                      Do you happen to know if the tubes would be
                      available in retail stores close the Canadian border?

                      Mike

                      At 09:20 AM 10/09/2011, you wrote:

                      >If you're willing to try shoe polish, then you'd
                      >be better of using Rub 'n Buff:
                      ><http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081HYE6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00081HYDM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13XD7V7ZGY0S1GA0HA79>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081HYE6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00081HYDM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13XD7V7ZGY0S1GA0HA79"><http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081HYE6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00081HYDM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13XD7V7ZGY0S1GA0HA79>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081HYE6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00081HYDM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13XD7V7ZGY0S1GA0HA79
                      >
                      >I used to apply the silver and gold versions of
                      >this stuff to ornamental iron table bases back
                      >in the sixties; jewelers use it to give an "antique" effect to silver
                      >and gold surfaces. It is very durable once it
                      >has had a couple of days to dry. If you've
                      >already used the shoe polish, simply take it off with rubbing alcohol.
                      >Mikey

                    • Inventor
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 12, 2011
                        Contact: AMACO
                        Contact Us
                        800-374-1600
                        8am-5pm EST M-F
                        Website:
                        http://www.amaco.com/shop/category-87-rub-39-n-buff-metallic-finishes.html

                        See if they have distributors/retail stores in Canada

                        Grandpa Bill

                        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Mike <ezme@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for the info but I tried to order and was
                        > informed "Sorry this item cannot be shipped to your address"
                        >
                        > I live in Ontario Canada
                        >
                        > I suppose it's some kind of dumb environmental issue.
                        >
                        > I would like to try the product because according
                        > to the literature it looks better and perhaps
                        > more long lasting than shoe polish. Some of the
                        > other Rub N Stuff colours also look interesting.
                        >
                        > Do you happen to know if the tubes would be
                        > available in retail stores close the Canadian border?
                        >
                        > Mike
                        >

                        > At 09:20 AM 10/09/2011, you wrote:
                        > >

                        > >If you're willing to try shoe polish, then you'd
                        > >be better of using Rub 'n Buff:
                        > ><http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081HYE6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00081HYDM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13XD7V7ZGY0S1GA0HA79>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081HYE6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00081HYDM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13XD7V7ZGY0S1GA0HA79"><http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081HYE6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00081HYDM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13XD7V7ZGY0S1GA0HA79>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00081HYE6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00081HYDM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13XD7V7ZGY0S1GA0HA79
                        > >
                        > >I used to apply the silver and gold versions of
                        > >this stuff to ornamental iron table bases back
                        > >in the sixties; jewelers use it to give an "antique" effect to silver
                        > >and gold surfaces. It is very durable once it
                        > >has had a couple of days to dry. If you've
                        > >already used the shoe polish, simply take it off with rubbing alcohol.
                        > >Mikey

                      • tjwal
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 23, 2011
                          Mike
                          In this case ebay might be your friend. A quick check turned up a number of sellers shipping to Canada. Prices weren't bad either.

                          If you are close to the border then you can always set up a shipping address in the US. There are companies who specialize in this. I'm too far away for it to work for me. :(

                          JohnW

                          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Mike <ezme@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for the info but I tried to order and was
                          > informed "Sorry this item cannot be shipped to your address"
                          >
                          > I live in Ontario Canada
                          >
                          > I suppose it's some kind of dumb environmental issue.
                          >
                          > I would like to try the product because according
                          > to the literature it looks better and perhaps
                          > more long lasting than shoe polish. Some of the
                          > other Rub N Stuff colours also look interesting.
                          >
                          > Do you happen to know if the tubes would be
                          > available in retail stores close the Canadian border?
                          >
                          > Mike

                        • Nick Andrews
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 23, 2011
                            Or one of us could just mail it to him.

                            --
                            Nick A

                            "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
                            single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

                            deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
                            of Pennsylvania, 1759

                            "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the
                            streets after them." Bill Vaughan

                            "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
                            Plato