How long does it take?

  • Inventor
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 8, 2011
      I've been ask this over and over again and I never
      know just how to answer it with all the variables.

      The Question is:
      "How long does it take to melt a pot of alum."

      Well?
      How many pounds? Are you doing 1 lb. or 100 lbs.
      How big is the Furnace?
      How big is the burner?
      Are you melting dirty scrap or ingots?
      Etc...etc....

      So my question is:
      Is there some kind of standard rule of thumb?
      (XXX minutes per pound? or some like that)

      Grandpa Bill
    • David Knaack
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8, 2011
        On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Inventor <welfab@...> wrote:

        > **
        >
        > I've been ask this over and over again and I never
        > know just how to answer it with all the variables.
        >
        > The Question is:
        > "How long does it take to melt a pot of alum."
        >
        > Well?
        > How many pounds? Are you doing 1 lb. or 100 lbs.
        > How big is the Furnace?
        > How big is the burner?
        > Are you melting dirty scrap or ingots?
        > Etc...etc....
        >
        > So my question is:
        > Is there some kind of standard rule of thumb?
        > (XXX minutes per pound? or some like that)

        "2 Beers"

        The only real variable is how big the beer is.

        DaveK

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2011
          On Aug 8, 2011, at 12:48 PM, Inventor wrote:

          > I've been ask this over and over again and I never
          > know just how to answer it with all the variables.
          >
          > The Question is:
          > "How long does it take to melt a pot of alum."
          >
          > Well?
          > How many pounds? Are you doing 1 lb. or 100 lbs.
          > How big is the Furnace?
          > How big is the burner?
          > Are you melting dirty scrap or ingots?
          > Etc...etc....
          >
          > So my question is:
          > Is there some kind of standard rule of thumb?
          > (XXX minutes per pound? or some like that)

          It looks like it takes 0.22 BTUs to raise one pound of aluminum 1 degree fahrenheit.

          So to raise 1 pound of aluminum to 1400F from say 70F it would take 292.6 BTUs if we lived in perfect world where there was no loss.

          Estimating loss will be the tricky part (really would need to to some tests) - but just for sake of conversation say your furnace was 50% efficient. That means it would take 585.2 BTUs to heat one pound of aluminum to 1400f.

          So if your burner was putting out 100 BTUs per minute, it would take 5.85 minutes to melt 1 pound of aluminum. It is more complicated than that though, because of the specific heats of the crucible and furnace, etc.

          The best answer would be to time and measure the amount of fuel used.

          Cheers,

          Jeshua Lacock
          Founder/Engineer
          3DTOPO Incorporated
          <http://3DTOPO.com>
          Phone: 208.462.4171
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2011
            On Aug 8, 2011, at 12:51 PM, David Knaack wrote:

            > The only real variable is how big the beer is.

            So you can melt 100 pounds of aluminum with a Bic lighter given the right size beer?

            Interesting.

            Best,

            Jeshua Lacock
            Founder/Engineer
            3DTOPO Incorporated
            <http://3DTOPO.com>
            Phone: 208.462.4171
          • Inventor
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 2011
              I'm DO-O-O-O-O-M-M-M-E-E-D-D-D!!!!
              Coffee
              Soda
              Juice
              Lemonade

              I'll die before that pot melts.

              Grandpa Bill

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@...> wrote:

              > On Aug 8, 2011, at 12:51 PM, David Knaack wrote:
              >
              > > The only real variable is how big the beer is.
              >
              > So you can melt 100 pounds of aluminum with a Bic lighter given the right size beer?
              >
              > Interesting.
              >

              > Best,
              >
              > Jeshua Lacock
              > Founder/Engineer
              > 3DTOPO Incorporated
              > <http://3DTOPO.com>
              > Phone: 208.462.4171

            • David Knaack
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 9, 2011
                On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@...> wrote:

                > **
                >
                > On Aug 8, 2011, at 12:51 PM, David Knaack wrote:
                >
                > > The only real variable is how big the beer is.
                >
                > So you can melt 100 pounds of aluminum with a Bic lighter given the right
                > size beer?
                >
                > I'm only about half joking.

                Operation under 'rules of thumb' implies some things about the nature of the
                setup with regard to sufficiency to task. In particular, that the rig can
                reasonably be expected to have the capacity to safely melt the charge and
                that the operator has some familiarity with the scale of the operation.

                An operator who makes a serious attempt that far outside the boundaries
                where success can be expected will be safer sitting around drinking beer
                than running the sort of rig that can handle a 100 lb charge.

                DaveK