Petrobond/catalyst source

  • rcwarship@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2011
      I just finished mixing up a 80 pound batch of petrobond for $43.00 - $26
      for the petrobond/catalyst (including shipping) & $17 for sand (local
      purchase). I worked with a gentleman by the name of Jeff at Retco
      Alloy, a great guy.

      Here's a link to the petrobond & Catalyst at their site:
      Petrobond
      <http://www.retcoalloy.com/store/product.php?productid=176913&cat=9509&b\
      estseller=Y>
      Catalyst
      <http://www.retcoalloy.com/store/product.php?productid=176911&cat=0&page\
      =1>

      Best Regards & Happy Casting,
      Jon

      PS, you may want to order 2 lots of the catalyst so that you'll have
      extra on hand (I wish I had).

    • STEVEN SQUIER
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2011
        That sounds like a really good deal- what is the purpose of the catalyst?  What is the ratio for the petrobond and catalyst?  I think I will be ordering this withing the next few days if I can get a good understanding of the recipe.

        Thanks
        Steve

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8, 2011
          Hi Steve,
          I used Ray-vins recipe with 120 mesh sand & ropylene Carbonate (recipe
          listed below). You may also find the following link interesting if you
          are going this route.
          Tom Cobett K-Bond Links
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hobbicast/msearch?date=any&DM=-----------\
          -&DD=----&DY=----&DM2=------------&DD2=----&DY2=----&AM=contains&AT=foun\
          drytom&SM=contains&ST=petrobond&MM=contains&MT=&charset=UTF-8>

          Ingredents:

          100 lbs. sand - 100 mesh or finer - US Silica F110

          6 lbs. Organo-bentone - Bentone 34 or VG-69

          3 lbs. Polybutane (2 US Quarts) Indopol L-100 BP Petroleum or Chevron
          OLOA

          0.2 lbs. (3.2oz or 91grams) Isopropyl alcohol - any pharmacy

          - or -

          0.2 lbs. (3.2oz or 91grams) Methanol (dry gas) - Auto Parts Store

          - or -

          0.2 lbs. (3.2oz or 91grams) Propylene Carbonate - Lab-Pro, Inc.
          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, STEVEN SQUIER <steven.squier@...>

          \
          > estseller=Y>
          > Catalyst

          <http://www.retcoalloy.com/store/product.php?productid=176911&cat=0&page\
          \
          > =1>
          >
          > Best Regards & Happy Casting,
          > Jon
          >
          > PS, you may want to order 2 lots of the catalyst so that you'll have
          > extra on hand (I wish I had).

        • David
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 16, 2011
            slight correction, K-Bond is not Ray-Vins recipe, but was developed at Kent State University by the foundry arts class due to a slight problem that they had with filling the room full of smoke using regular petrobond sand.

            But the Recipe can be found on Rays site.