Re: [hobbicast] Ok, I'm old and brain dead

    Message 1 of 79 , Aug 4, 2011
      On Aug 4, 2011, at 7:07 PM, Carl wrote:

      > Thinking about it and looking at your first drawing a long spout will cause the pour area to move.

      Absolutely not true. The first pic I posted proves it does not move:

      http://ComicBookUsers.com/images/pivot.jpg

      And that is what my isometric drawing is based on.

      > Every thing will be fine until you have tilted the furnace about 90 degrees. At that point the furnace passes the end of the spout and the metal falls vertically completely missing the spout. Even at 85 degrees much of the metal may not be controlled by the spout.

      As long as there is a secured lid it will. But I am not too concerned about getting every last drop into the mold. I will usually melt extra and just dump out what I don't use.

      Cheers,

      Jeshua Lacock, Owner
      <http://OpenOSX.com>
      phone: 208.462.4171
    • Carl
      Message 79 of 79 , Aug 15, 2011
        Howard:I happen to think that a 500 pound furnace full of molten metal falling uncontrolled is a "real" problem. Besides I was responding to a question from Jeshua about power failure. I would think you would have pointed this out and provided the solution in one of the first posts on this topic. Instead a person with no hydraulic experience had to figure this out. Two or three years from now somebody reading this may try and build one of these without your 30 years experience helping. Thanks to me they are now aware of the need for a lock valve. I think they need to know both the advantages and the disadvantages of the system before they start the project. Carl