Re: [hobbicast] anyone familiar with a Gemline TA-1500 High Temperature Thermometer?

  • kabowers@NorthState.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2011
      On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:51:54 -0000, you wrote:

      >Found one at the swap meet for $4 yesterday, and brought it home. The meter goes to 1300 degrees F, and is powered by the thermocouple, no amplifier or other circuitry.
      >
      >There was no thermocouple with it. Uses banana plugs for connectors. I may try it with the thermocouple from one of my dead hot water heaters. Gotta find one of my DVM's first, to check polarity.
      >
      >Bill in OKC

      If the meter is well hidden don't worry about it. The thermocouple
      isn't likely to be able to generate anywhere near enough current to hurt the
      meter movement. Just warm the thermocouple slowly (a lighter or match works well)
      and if the meter goes backwards, reverse the leads.

      I pulled mine out of a junk pile about 30 years ago. It was part of a laboratory
      furnace and was mounted in a sheet of 3/8" asbestos. The thermocouple is
      around 6" of #16 wire with a the wires fused into a 3/16" lump at one end.
      I used it a couple of months ago, but can't lay hands on it at the
      moment. IIRC the meter was 500 uA and calibrated to 2,000 deg. F.
      Keith Bowers WB4LSJ- Thomasville, NC
    • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2011
        Bill

        The meter movement scale will be calibrated for a particular type of thermocouple. It is probable that, with a limit of 1300'F, that it is iron/ contantan type J

        Iron (+)
        Constantan (-)

        200-1400F
        95-760C