Mold printer.

  • Josue A
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2011
      Recently I discovered this mold printer:

      http://youtu.be/Z8MaVaqNr3U

      And I start wondering what wizardry is that?, I think I can build one using a modified RepRap (http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page) and a Piezo PrintHead (http://reprap.org/wiki/Scratchbuilt_Piezo_Printhead), I'm planning to use Gren sand 100/110 AFS and inject Sodium Silicate....

      My question is, how can I dissolve Sodium Silicate, so I can inject as much on the sand as shown in the video of the printhead, without making my mold way too hard.
    • Stephen Lovely
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25, 2011
        I bought some sodium silicate core binder from a foundry supply place a
        while back.
        It had sugar (maybe high fructose corn syrup?) mixed in. They had it with
        various
        amounts of sugar to control how hard it would be and how easy to break it up
        after the
        casting cooled. More sugar in it and it would be easier to clean the
        casting.

      • Stone Tool
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 25, 2011
          Anybody have any ideas on proportions......... I hadn't heard of this
          before.

          Howard

        • giesser@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 25, 2011
            Sodium Silicate is water soluble. Add as much water as you need to get a thin viscosity for spraying. You may want to use colloidal silica since it is much thinner and has better refractoriness.