Making charcoal

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 3 7:51 PM
      Hello Group,
      I have been taking advantage of the using the wood heater in my shop
      through the cool weather to turn some oak into charcoal. In doing some
      research into how to grind it into a fine powder I found out charcoal
      (particularly fresh charcoal) can be pyrophoric when conditions are
      right. Figured I should pass that tid-bit on. No, I didn't find out the
      hard way.

      Rupert
      --

      yvt

      Rupert Wenig
      Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

      email: rwenig2@...

      http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
    • Ron Thompson
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 4 5:22 AM
        On 3/3/2011 10:51 PM, Rupert wrote:

        > Hello Group,
        > I have been taking advantage of the using the wood heater in my shop
        > through the cool weather to turn some oak into charcoal. In doing some
        > research into how to grind it into a fine powder I found out charcoal
        > (particularly fresh charcoal) can be pyrophoric when conditions are
        > right. Figured I should pass that tid-bit on. No, I didn't find out the
        > hard way.
        >
        > Rupert

        Yikes!
        And I thought wood dust was bad. You can take the dry wood powder from a
        sander and put a little on your finger. Flick it with your other hand to
        make a cloud of dust. Do it into a candle flame and it whooshes to flame
        like hairspray!
        Ever heard of a dust explosion?

        --

        Ron Thompson

        There are two kinds of posts on newsgroups.
        1. This is what I have done...
        2. This is what I think...
        Be aware of the difference!

        http://www.ourcadguy.com/

        Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

      • Rupert
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 4 7:37 AM
          Hello Ron,
          The demise of many grain elevators were caused by grain dust
          explosions. That is one reason I am not using the dust control system in
          my shop yet as I don't have the proper bonding for static done yet.

          I posted the below to another group. It has links to explain what
          pyrophoric is.

          Quote:

          --

          yvt

          Rupert Wenig
          Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

          email: rwenig2@...

          http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
        • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 4 8:52 AM
            Rupert
            Pyrophoric carbon is a myth, see:

            <http://www.fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/fire00/PDF/f00161.pdf>

            Malcolm

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 4 9:22 AM
              On 3/4/2011 10:37 AM, Rupert wrote:

              > Hello Ron,
              > The demise of many grain elevators were caused by grain dust
              > explosions. That is one reason I am not using the dust control system in
              > my shop yet as I don't have the proper bonding for static done yet.
              >
              > I posted the below to another group. It has links to explain what
              > pyrophoric is.
              >
              > Quote:
              > > What pyrophoric is a form of spontaneous combustion. See
              > > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrophoricity>. This is another
              > > interesting page
              > >
              > <http://ask.reference.com/related/Pyrophoric+Material?qsrc=2892&l=dse&o=102882
              > <http://ask.reference.com/related/Pyrophoric+Material?qsrc=2892&l=dse&o=102882>>
              > > on pyrophoric substances. I found some of the info hard to believe
              > > but,,,,,,,,,,,,, The word pyrophoric came up when I was Googling for
              > > ways to grind the charcoal lumps into powder so I Googled it to come
              > > up with this page
              > >
              > <http://www.google.ca/search?q=pyrophoric&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
              > <http://www.google.ca/search?q=pyrophoric&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a>>
              > > In other words, I get the impression to be careful with
              > > powdered charcoal (and for that matter, many other powders).
              > > Rupert

              Thanks Rupert,
              When I read your first post, I didn't know what pyrophoric was, so I
              Googled it. I sometimes think Google knows everything.

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 4 4:12 PM
                Hello Malcolm,
                I saw that. I was inclined to agree with you as charcoal is shipped
                and sold in paper bags until I noted the statement "Freshly prepared
                charcoal can be pyrophoric even when not powdered and it must be allowed
                to stand for a day at least before it is used in any compositions." It
                doesn't jib with then articles on this page
                <http://raw-torrefactiontechnology.blogspot.com/2011/02/pyrophoric-carbon-oxygen-depletion-and.html>
                <http://www.doctorfire.com/contents.html>. So which one is believable? I
                chose to play it safe.
                Your link probably applies to charcoal that is past the aging period.
                Rupert

                --

              • hillwizard2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 4 4:19 PM
                  Charcoal is made in a kiln, it get very hot and is a good insulator

                  Sometime when it is taken out of the kiln it contains red hot coals

                  Mike the Hillwizard

                  I would rather be nine people's favorite thing then one hundred people's
                  ninth favorite thing.