Re: [hobbicast] Suppliers near Raleigh, NC?

  • Rupert
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 24, 2011
      Hello Evan,
      I haven't dealt with any of these businesses but Google brings up lots
      of possibilities close by.
      <http://www.google.ca/search?q=bentonite%29%2C+near+Raleigh%2C+NC&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&sugexp=gsihc&xhr=t&q=%22ceramic+supply+near+Raleigh%2C+NC%22&cp=15&pf=p&sclient=psy&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=%22ceramic+supply+near+Raleigh,+NC%22&pbx=1&fp=be2dc1d6e6be51b0>
      I didn't check them all but Claymakers seem to have it in small
      quantities.<http://www.claymakers.com/DryMaterials.html>

      Rupert

      On 2/24/2011 2:22 PM, Evan Daniel wrote:
      > Hello all!
      >
      > I'm new to this group, and just starting to run a small scale aluminum
      > foundry (hoping to move to bronze as well fairly soon). I'm trying to
      > upgrade my green sand. Does anyone have a good source for suitable
      > bentonite clay, at the small hobby foundry scale (20-50 lb of
      > bentonite), near Raleigh, NC? I can get clean 80 grit silica sand at
      > reasonable prices courtesy Liberty Arts in Durham, but if there are
      > other options for sand near Raleigh I'd love to know about those as
      > well. I've been using sifted play sand (~ 30 grit) and ground cat
      > litter (workable, but a pain, and I understand not the highest quality
      > option).
      >
      > Thanks in advance!
      >
      > Evan Daniel
      > TechShopRDU
      > http://techshoprdu.com

      > List Owner:

      yvt

      Rupert Wenig
      Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

      email: rwenig2@...

      http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
    • kabowers@NorthState.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 24, 2011
        On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:22:24 -0500, you wrote:

        >Hello all!
        >
        >I'm new to this group, and just starting to run a small scale aluminum
        >foundry (hoping to move to bronze as well fairly soon). I'm trying to
        >upgrade my green sand. Does anyone have a good source for suitable
        >bentonite clay, at the small hobby foundry scale (20-50 lb of
        >bentonite), near Raleigh, NC? I can get clean 80 grit silica sand at
        >reasonable prices courtesy Liberty Arts in Durham, but if there are
        >other options for sand near Raleigh I'd love to know about those as
        >well. I've been using sifted play sand (~ 30 grit) and ground cat
        >litter (workable, but a pain, and I understand not the highest quality
        >option).
        >
        >Thanks in advance!
        >
        >Evan Daniel
        >TechShopRDU
        >http://techshoprdu.com
        >

        >-
        At one time there was a pottery supply operation just off I85 towards Mebane.
        I don't know if it still exists or not. I got bentonite, fireclay, and refractory from them.
        They also had sand clear down to fine dust.

        It was just past the rest area (IIRC Exit 152) at Fuel City. Turn right.
        Travel a couple of miles and cross highway 70. A couple of hundred yards on the right
        there were some metal buildings. IIRC the pottery supply was on the
        far side of the second building. Back then they were listed in the Raleigh
        Yellow Pages under pottery supplies.

        You can probably find bentonite at a farm supply store in one of the
        farming communities around Raleigh. It's sold as pond sealer or an additive
        for cattle feed.
        Keith Bowers WB4LSJ- Thomasville, NC
      • Kerri Duncan
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 24, 2011
          Evan- If you travel to the Farm Supply in Fuquay Varina- they sell "western Sodium Bentonite"... You can get it at any place that sells farm supplies- it is used for lining the beds of irrigation ponds, lakes, and landscape ponds to make a water-barrier... It is also used for supplement in cow feed- It comes in 50 or 100 pound bags, and requires little grinding (as opposed to the Kitty Litter)... It looks like fine mesh masonry sand.

          One tidbit from my folly with the stuff- wear a mask, and use goggles-

          I like the hacker-space- I think I will swing by and say hello!

          Kerri

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 24, 2011
            Thanks everyone!

            I'll check out Claymakers tomorrow.

            Evan Daniel

            On Feb 24, 2011 11:09 PM, "Kerri Duncan" <silverforgestudio@...>
            wrote:

            Evan- If you travel to the Farm Supply in Fuquay Varina- they sell "western
            Sodium Bentonite"... You can get it at any place that sells farm supplies-
            it is used for lining the beds of irrigation ponds, lakes, and landscape
            ponds to make a water-barrier... It is also used for supplement in cow feed-
            It comes in 50 or 100 pound bags, and requires little grinding (as opposed
            to the Kitty Litter)... It looks like fine mesh masonry sand.

            One tidbit from my folly with the stuff- wear a mask, and use goggles-

            I like the hacker-space- I think I will swing by and say hello!

            Kerri

            I'm new to this group, and just starting to run a small scale aluminum
            foundry (...

          • oldstudentmsgt
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 25, 2011
              Evan, look for a feedstore, supplying horse & cattle feed. They often have 50# bentonite as a feed additive, and to seal the bottom of stock and decorative ponds. Out here we have Lumber II, Fox Lumber, and a number of others. I got mine at Lumber II a couple of years ago for $9.99 for a 50# bag.

              The stuff I got is a fine powder, so no pre-grinding required, makes things easier.

              Bill in OKC

            • kabowers@NorthState.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 26, 2011
                On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:22:24 -0500, you wrote:

                >Hello all!
                >
                >I'm new to this group, and just starting to run a small scale aluminum
                >foundry (hoping to move to bronze as well fairly soon). I'm trying to
                >upgrade my green sand. Does anyone have a good source for suitable
                >bentonite clay, at the small hobby foundry scale (20-50 lb of
                >bentonite), near Raleigh, NC? I can get clean 80 grit silica sand at
                >reasonable prices courtesy Liberty Arts in Durham, but if there are
                >other options for sand near Raleigh I'd love to know about those as
                >well. I've been using sifted play sand (~ 30 grit) and ground cat
                >litter (workable, but a pain, and I understand not the highest quality
                >option).
                >
                >Thanks in advance!
                >
                >Evan Daniel
                >TechShopRDU
                >http://techshoprdu.com
                >

                >------------------------------------

                I was cleaning off my desk this AM and ran across a receipt from
                the supply place in Mebane, NC. I also checked a yellow
                pages on the Internet and they seem to still exist. Looks
                like they are part of a multi state operation.

                Campbell's Ceramic Supply Co
                818 Trollingwood Hawfields Rd
                Mebane, NC 27302-8170
                Telephone: 336-578-9011

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 3 7:51 PM
                  Hello Group,
                  I have been taking advantage of the using the wood heater in my shop
                  through the cool weather to turn some oak into charcoal. In doing some
                  research into how to grind it into a fine powder I found out charcoal
                  (particularly fresh charcoal) can be pyrophoric when conditions are
                  right. Figured I should pass that tid-bit on. No, I didn't find out the
                  hard way.

                  Rupert
                  --

                  yvt

                  Rupert Wenig
                  Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

                  email: rwenig2@...

                  http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
                • Ron Thompson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 4 5:22 AM
                    On 3/3/2011 10:51 PM, Rupert wrote:

                    > Hello Group,
                    > I have been taking advantage of the using the wood heater in my shop
                    > through the cool weather to turn some oak into charcoal. In doing some
                    > research into how to grind it into a fine powder I found out charcoal
                    > (particularly fresh charcoal) can be pyrophoric when conditions are
                    > right. Figured I should pass that tid-bit on. No, I didn't find out the
                    > hard way.
                    >
                    > Rupert

                    Yikes!
                    And I thought wood dust was bad. You can take the dry wood powder from a
                    sander and put a little on your finger. Flick it with your other hand to
                    make a cloud of dust. Do it into a candle flame and it whooshes to flame
                    like hairspray!
                    Ever heard of a dust explosion?

                    --

                    Ron Thompson

                    There are two kinds of posts on newsgroups.
                    1. This is what I have done...
                    2. This is what I think...
                    Be aware of the difference!

                    http://www.ourcadguy.com/

                    Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

                  • Rupert
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 4 7:37 AM
                      Hello Ron,
                      The demise of many grain elevators were caused by grain dust
                      explosions. That is one reason I am not using the dust control system in
                      my shop yet as I don't have the proper bonding for static done yet.

                      I posted the below to another group. It has links to explain what
                      pyrophoric is.

                      Quote:

                      --

                      yvt

                      Rupert Wenig
                      Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

                      email: rwenig2@...

                      http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
                    • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 4 8:52 AM
                        Rupert
                        Pyrophoric carbon is a myth, see:

                        <http://www.fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/fire00/PDF/f00161.pdf>

                        Malcolm

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 4 9:22 AM
                          On 3/4/2011 10:37 AM, Rupert wrote:

                          > Hello Ron,
                          > The demise of many grain elevators were caused by grain dust
                          > explosions. That is one reason I am not using the dust control system in
                          > my shop yet as I don't have the proper bonding for static done yet.
                          >
                          > I posted the below to another group. It has links to explain what
                          > pyrophoric is.
                          >
                          > Quote:
                          > > What pyrophoric is a form of spontaneous combustion. See
                          > > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrophoricity>. This is another
                          > > interesting page
                          > >
                          > <http://ask.reference.com/related/Pyrophoric+Material?qsrc=2892&l=dse&o=102882
                          > <http://ask.reference.com/related/Pyrophoric+Material?qsrc=2892&l=dse&o=102882>>
                          > > on pyrophoric substances. I found some of the info hard to believe
                          > > but,,,,,,,,,,,,, The word pyrophoric came up when I was Googling for
                          > > ways to grind the charcoal lumps into powder so I Googled it to come
                          > > up with this page
                          > >
                          > <http://www.google.ca/search?q=pyrophoric&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
                          > <http://www.google.ca/search?q=pyrophoric&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a>>
                          > > In other words, I get the impression to be careful with
                          > > powdered charcoal (and for that matter, many other powders).
                          > > Rupert

                          Thanks Rupert,
                          When I read your first post, I didn't know what pyrophoric was, so I
                          Googled it. I sometimes think Google knows everything.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 4 4:12 PM
                            Hello Malcolm,
                            I saw that. I was inclined to agree with you as charcoal is shipped
                            and sold in paper bags until I noted the statement "Freshly prepared
                            charcoal can be pyrophoric even when not powdered and it must be allowed
                            to stand for a day at least before it is used in any compositions." It
                            doesn't jib with then articles on this page
                            <http://raw-torrefactiontechnology.blogspot.com/2011/02/pyrophoric-carbon-oxygen-depletion-and.html>
                            <http://www.doctorfire.com/contents.html>. So which one is believable? I
                            chose to play it safe.
                            Your link probably applies to charcoal that is past the aging period.
                            Rupert

                            --

                          • hillwizard2@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 4 4:19 PM
                              Charcoal is made in a kiln, it get very hot and is a good insulator

                              Sometime when it is taken out of the kiln it contains red hot coals

                              Mike the Hillwizard

                              I would rather be nine people's favorite thing then one hundred people's
                              ninth favorite thing.