New to this group

  • rlbsr1956
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2011
      Hello group
      My name is Rick & I live in Waynesboro, Va USA. I have always worked with my hands and like to design weird projects and restore antique motor cycles. I was watching a movie a few years ago called the worlds fastest Indian: The Burt Monroe storie. He made most of the parts for his motor cycle in his garage including cyclinders and pistons. This really got me interested and for the next year I studied every Metal Casting and Hobie foundry site I could, all the while collecting parts to get started, First I made a ball mill and a Popcorn can furnice, only fired it up once, once it was cured, made the refractory from portland cement, ground bentonite(kitty litter from walmart) & perlite.
      Then studied burner designs and made a propane burner(works ok not real satisfied). then started to make my own green sand, right now I have about 50lbs and havent even fired the furnace up in over a year, my wife was going through Kemo & radiation for lung cancer & everything else was secondary. My wife is in remission and doing better & I plan on getting back into metal casting this spring, I have a ton of Ideas for projects and want to keep learning and finding sources for info and materials. Sorry for being long winded.
      Thanks
      Rick from Va
    • Kerri Duncan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2011
        Rick- if you are in that neck of the woods- If you are looking for some real refractory then you can head down to Salem- The guys at the Harbison-Walker distribution center (2001 Salem Industrial Drive- zip:24153) were great guys and good resurces when I started.

        There are several local art foundries and you can contact the UVA Art department as well.

        I am in Norfolk, and a bit of a noob as well (both to ferrous, Al, and jewelry casting)...

        Lets chat- I get up to Bedford/Lynchburg sometimes, and have been known to wander around Stuarts Draft and the AT in your area...

        For that matter- anyone in the VA/MD/NC area I would be interested in chatting with possibly meeting at some point- The annual Chippoakes Plantation Steam Engine show is coming up...

        Kerri

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 19, 2011
          Rick

          I'm just up the road from you in Harrisonburg. I'm also new to this group and have been lurking. I'm mostly a hobby machinist but I'm retiring this summer and was planning on doing some simple aluminum casting soon.

          Dorn

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "rlbsr1956" <rlbsr1956@...> wrote:

          > Hello group
          > My name is Rick & I live in Waynesboro, Va USA. I have always worked with my hands and like to design weird projects and restore antique motor cycles. I was watching a movie a few years ago called the worlds fastest Indian: The Burt Monroe storie. He made most of the parts for his motor cycle in his garage including cyclinders and pistons. This really got me interested and for the next year I studied every Metal Casting and Hobie foundry site I could, all the while collecting parts to get started, First I made a ball mill and a Popcorn can furnice, only fired it up once, once it was cured, made the refractory from portland cement, ground bentonite(kitty litter from walmart) & perlite.
          > Then studied burner designs and made a propane burner(works ok not real satisfied). then started to make my own green sand, right now I have about 50lbs and havent even fired the furnace up in over a year, my wife was going through Kemo & radiation for lung cancer & everything else was secondary. My wife is in remission and doing better & I plan on getting back into metal casting this spring, I have a ton of Ideas for projects and want to keep learning and finding sources for info and materials. Sorry for being long winded.
          > Thanks
          > Rick from Va

        • Richard Blumberg
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2011
            Dorn;
            Nice to hear from you. I been trying to find others in this area with similar
            interest with no luck. I actually live in Stuarts Draft, in a small subdivision
            with a waynesboro zip code? I work as an electromechanical field service tech
            for a New Hampshire based co. Been a field tech for almost 23 years, before tha
            I was an Auto/motorcycle mechanic. I have always liked working with my hands and
            have like 100 projects started but very little finished..
            Have you made or purchased any foundry stuff? I have to dig my home made stuff
            out and get ready for spring/summer.
            I will chat later if thats ok
            Rick
            rlbsr1956@...

            ________________________________
            I'm just up the road from you in Harrisonburg. I'm also new to this group and
            have been lurking. I'm mostly a hobby machinist but I'm retiring this summer
            and was planning on doing some simple aluminum casting soon.

            Dorn

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "rlbsr1956" <rlbsr1956@...> wrote:

            > Hello group
            > My name is Rick & I live in Waynesboro, Va USA. I have always worked with my
            >hands and like to design weird projects and restore antique motor cycles. I was
            >watching a movie a few years ago called the worlds fastest Indian: The Burt
            >Monroe storie. He made most of the parts for his motor cycle in his garage
            >including cyclinders and pistons. This really got me interested and for the next
            >year I studied every Metal Casting and Hobie foundry site I could, all the while
            >collecting parts to get started, First I made a ball mill and a Popcorn can
            >furnice, only fired it up once, once it was cured, made the refractory from
            >portland cement, ground bentonite(kitty litter from walmart) & perlite.
            > Then studied burner designs and made a propane burner(works ok not real
            >satisfied). then started to make my own green sand, right now I have about 50lbs
            >and havent even fired the furnace up in over a year, my wife was going through
            >Kemo & radiation for lung cancer & everything else was secondary. My wife is in
            >remission and doing better & I plan on getting back into metal casting this
            >spring, I have a ton of Ideas for projects and want to keep learning and finding
            >sources for info and materials. Sorry for being long winded.
            > Thanks
            > Rick from Va

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21, 2011
              I grew up in Harrisonburg...waterman drive, but I live near Charlotte NC now.

              Dave D
              http://metalshop.homestead.com

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Richard Blumberg <rlbsr1956@...> wrote:

              > Dorn;
              > Nice to hear from you. I been trying to find others in this area with similar
              > interest with no luck. I actually live in Stuarts Draft, in a small subdivision
              > with a waynesboro zip code? I work as an electromechanical field service tech
              > for a New Hampshire based co. Been a field tech for almost 23 years, before tha
              > I was an Auto/motorcycle mechanic. I have always liked working with my hands and
              > have like 100 projects started but very little finished..
              > Have you made or purchased any foundry stuff? I have to dig my home made stuff
              > out and get ready for spring/summer.
              > I will chat later if thats ok
              > Rick
              > rlbsr1956@...

            • Richard Blumberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 23, 2011
                Dorn
                Nice to hear from you. I been trying to find others in this area with similar
                interest with no luck. I actually live in Stuarts Draft, in a small subdivision
                with a Waynesboro zip code? I work as an electromechanical field service tech
                for a New Hampshire based co. Been a field tech for almost 23 years, before that

                I was an Auto/motorcycle mechanic for 12 years. I have always liked working with