Canadian Casting Supplier?

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
      Hi Guys

      I am planning on getting into metal casting (Aluminum) and trying to find a good casting supplier in my area. Mainly looking for casting sand and the refractory material to make my furnace. Having a hard time finding anyone in my area that sells casting materials. I am also planning to start building my furnace and trying to decide which size, shape and type of fuel to use? Will likely go with propane but I do like electric for simplicity. Also like the idea of banding fire bricks into the shape of the furnace? I live in the Barrie area which is one hour north of Toronto, Ontario. If you know of a good casting supplier in my area, I would be grateful to hear from you. Thank you for your help.

      Best regards

      Willy
    • abascirocco
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 9, 2011
        Fairly close to you is Canadian Thermix in Aurora, they have a wide range of foundry products including refractories, firebrick, crucibles, fluxes etc. Also, there are lots of refractory distributors in the GTA, they're easy to find on yellowpages.ca. I got my castable refractory from Fibrecast in Burlington, you were easy to deal with very competitive prices, my only knock against them is they had a $100 minimum order for cash sales. I've also dealt with The Pottery Supply House in Oakville, with them there's no hassle getting small quantities of stuff, they have firebrick both insulating or hard, they've also got other useful stuff like insulating fiber blanket, ITC products, bentonite and many other clays, sodium silicate etc.

        BTW, I understand the attraction of an electric furnace but I'd go with propane, it's cheap and easy to build a suitable burner and, it melts WAY faster than any electric furnace you'd be able to build that uses normal household electric service.

      • toddpenn@xplornet.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
          Also:

          SMELKO FOUNDRY PRODUCTS LTD.

          701 NIPISSING ROAD

          MILTON, ONTARIO, CANADA

          L9T 4Z5

          TEL: (905)878-2331-FAX (905)878-4445

          They are more like a warehouse operation, no real display area, but
          helpful & have lots of neat stuff.

          Todd

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          "Bill" <billblackburn@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys
          >
          > I am planning on getting into metal casting (Aluminum) and trying to
          find a good casting supplier in my area. Mainly looking for casting sand
          and the refractory material to make my furnace. Having a hard time
          finding anyone in my area that sells casting materials. I am also
          planning to start building my furnace and trying to decide which size,
          shape and type of fuel to use? Will likely go with propane but I do like
          electric for simplicity. Also like the idea of banding fire bricks into
          the shape of the furnace? I live in the Barrie area which is one hour
          north of Toronto, Ontario. If you know of a good casting supplier in my
          area, I would be grateful to hear from you. Thank you for your help.

          > Best regards
          >
          > Willy

        • Dan Brewer
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
            What quantity of aluminum are you planning to melt? If it is less than 15
            lbs I would suggest a furnace using a 20# propane bottle as a form. Use
            castable refractory 2400 degree because of the insulating qualities. and
            use propane as a fuel. Get Mike Porter's book on burners amazon has it here

            http://www.amazon.com/Gas-Burners-Forges-Furnaces-Kilns/dp/1879535203
            The book has several burners as well as a a couple of choices for a furnace.

            Dan in Auburn

            On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Bill <billblackburn@...> wrote:

            > Hi Guys
            >
            > I am planning on getting into metal casting (Aluminum) and trying to find a
            > good casting supplier in my area. Mainly looking for casting sand and the
            > refractory material to make my furnace. Having a hard time finding anyone in
            > my area that sells casting materials. I am also planning to start building
            > my furnace and trying to decide which size, shape and type of fuel to use?
            > Will likely go with propane but I do like electric for simplicity. Also like
            > the idea of banding fire bricks into the shape of the furnace? I live in the
            > Barrie area which is one hour north of Toronto, Ontario. If you know of a
            > good casting supplier in my area, I would be grateful to hear from you.
            > Thank you for your help.
            >
            > Best regards
            >
            > Willy

          • abascirocco
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 10, 2011
              I just uploaded a few pictures of my furnace set up in the photo album labeled "My reverb". This furnace was made using a 20 lb propane tank and one bag of Plibrico Al-tuff LWI 24 castable refractory (LWI stands for light weight insulating), this particular refractory is designed for direct contact with molten aluminum and at the time of purchase in 2007 costs $34.00 Cdn per bag. The furnace capacity of the furnace is about 15 lbs of aluminum, it uses a 1" Reil style burner with an acetylene regulator. A full melt take 35-45 minutes and uses a little less than 2 lbs of fuel.

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Dan Brewer <danqualman@...> wrote:

              > What quantity of aluminum are you planning to melt? If it is less than 15
              > lbs I would suggest a furnace using a 20# propane bottle as a form. Use
              > castable refractory 2400 degree because of the insulating qualities. and
              > use propane as a fuel. Get Mike Porter's book on burners amazon has it here
              >
              > http://www.amazon.com/Gas-Burners-Forges-Furnaces-Kilns/dp/1879535203
              > The book has several burners as well as a a couple of choices for a furnace.
              >
              > Dan in Auburn
              >

              > On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Bill <billblackburn@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Hi Guys
              > >
              > > I am planning on getting into metal casting (Aluminum) and trying to find a
              > > good casting supplier in my area. Mainly looking for casting sand and the
              > > refractory material to make my furnace. Having a hard time finding anyone in
              > > my area that sells casting materials. I am also planning to start building
              > > my furnace and trying to decide which size, shape and type of fuel to use?
              > > Will likely go with propane but I do like electric for simplicity. Also like
              > > the idea of banding fire bricks into the shape of the furnace? I live in the
              > > Barrie area which is one hour north of Toronto, Ontario. If you know of a
              > > good casting supplier in my area, I would be grateful to hear from you.
              > > Thank you for your help.
              > >
              > > Best regards
              > >
              > > Willy

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 12, 2011
                Hi abascirocco

                Thanks for the addresses of some local companies that I can purchase casting supplies from. Also I didn't realize that the electric furnaces were so slow. Propane certainly sounds like the way to go. I just ordered Mike Porter's book on burners and furnaces. So now I need to decide on the type and size of furnace to build.

                Thanks again.

                Willy

                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "abascirocco" <elammers@...> wrote:

                > Fairly close to you is Canadian Thermix in Aurora, they have a wide range of foundry products including refractories, firebrick, crucibles, fluxes etc. Also, there are lots of refractory distributors in the GTA, they're easy to find on yellowpages.ca. I got my castable refractory from Fibrecast in Burlington, you were easy to deal with very competitive prices, my only knock against them is they had a $100 minimum order for cash sales. I've also dealt with The Pottery Supply House in Oakville, with them there's no hassle getting small quantities of stuff, they have firebrick both insulating or hard, they've also got other useful stuff like insulating fiber blanket, ITC products, bentonite and many other clays, sodium silicate etc.
                >
                > BTW, I understand the attraction of an electric furnace but I'd go with propane, it's cheap and easy to build a suitable burner and, it melts WAY faster than any electric furnace you'd be able to build that uses normal household electric service.
                >
                > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <billblackburn@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Guys
                > >
                > > I am planning on getting into metal casting (Aluminum) and trying to find a good casting supplier in my area. Mainly looking for casting sand and the refractory material to make my furnace. Having a hard time finding anyone in my area that sells casting materials. I am also planning to start building my furnace and trying to decide which size, shape and type of fuel to use? Will likely go with propane but I do like electric for simplicity. Also like the idea of banding fire bricks into the shape of the furnace? I live in the Barrie area which is one hour north of Toronto, Ontario. If you know of a good casting supplier in my area, I would be grateful to hear from you. Thank you for your help.
                > >
                > > Best regards
                > >
                > > Willy

              • Bill
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 12, 2011
                  Hi Todd

                  Thanks for this address. I am looking forward to getting into metal casting this spring.

                  Willy

                  --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, <toddpenn@...> wrote:

                  > Also:
                  >
                  > SMELKO FOUNDRY PRODUCTS LTD.
                  >
                  > 701 NIPISSING ROAD
                  >
                  > MILTON, ONTARIO, CANADA
                  >
                  > L9T 4Z5
                  >
                  > TEL: (905)878-2331-FAX (905)878-4445
                  >
                  > They are more like a warehouse operation, no real display area, but
                  > helpful & have lots of neat stuff.
                  >
                  > Todd

                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 12, 2011
                    Hi Dan

                    I am not sure how much I will need to melt at one time? Will need to weigh some of my aluminium stock to see how much volume 15 lbs is. The 20# propane tank furnace looks interesting. I have ordered Mike Porters book like you suggested and hope to find a good torch to build. Which casting sand do you use? Oil base or water based? I like the idea of an oil based sand for it's ability to stay usable for long periods of time but the chemicals can be harder to find and I understand it requires allot of work (Muller) to rejuvenate it? Green sand on the other hand is fairly simple but it drys out quickly. Any idea how long you can keep it in a sealed plastic container? Is one better than the other for casting aluminium? Thanks again for your help with my questions.

                    Willy

                    --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Dan Brewer <danqualman@...> wrote:

                    > What quantity of aluminum are you planning to melt? If it is less than 15
                    > lbs I would suggest a furnace using a 20# propane bottle as a form. Use
                    > castable refractory 2400 degree because of the insulating qualities. and
                    > use propane as a fuel. Get Mike Porter's book on burners amazon has it here
                    >
                    > http://www.amazon.com/Gas-Burners-Forges-Furnaces-Kilns/dp/1879535203
                    > The book has several burners as well as a a couple of choices for a furnace.
                    >
                    > Dan in Auburn
                    >

                    > On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Bill <billblackburn@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Hi Guys
                    > >
                    > > I am planning on getting into metal casting (Aluminum) and trying to find a
                    > > good casting supplier in my area. Mainly looking for casting sand and the
                    > > refractory material to make my furnace. Having a hard time finding anyone in
                    > > my area that sells casting materials. I am also planning to start building
                    > > my furnace and trying to decide which size, shape and type of fuel to use?
                    > > Will likely go with propane but I do like electric for simplicity. Also like
                    > > the idea of banding fire bricks into the shape of the furnace? I live in the
                    > > Barrie area which is one hour north of Toronto, Ontario. If you know of a
                    > > good casting supplier in my area, I would be grateful to hear from you.
                    > > Thank you for your help.
                    > >
                    > > Best regards
                    > >
                    > > Willy

                  • Dan Brewer
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 12, 2011
                      Willy, 15 lbs is a lot to pour by yourself. My 20# furnace can handle a #20
                      crucible. I need two people to pour. It is too heavy to wield by myself.
                      I have both types of sand . Oikl and water bound. If you cast in the
                      winter you will want to use the oil bound sand as the water will freeze. I
                      like the water bound sand because of the ease of use and no nasty fumes.
                      But the oil bound sand has a better working range . It depends on the day
                      . Your sand will last until the grains become rounded and will not hold
                      together any more. The sand locks together because of all ogf the edges it
                      has . When they go away the sand will nod ram up any more. I purchased my
                      sand already mixed from United Western Supply in Seattle. I think that they
                      have places all over the US. For a muller, Google George Von Torn.
                      George showed the local folks here in western Washington how to build a
                      muller out of a propane cylinder. There are several places on the net that
                      are hosting these plans. The optimal speed is around 25 to 35 RPM.
                      Dan in Auburn

                      On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Bill <billblackburn@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Dan
                      >
                      > I am not sure how much I will need to melt at one time? Will need to weigh
                      > some of my aluminium stock to see how much volume 15 lbs is. The 20# propane
                      > tank furnace looks interesting. I have ordered Mike Porters book like you
                      > suggested and hope to find a good torch to build. Which casting sand do you
                      > use? Oil base or water based? I like the idea of an oil based sand for it's
                      > ability to stay usable for long periods of time but the chemicals can be
                      > harder to find and I understand it requires allot of work (Muller) to
                      > rejuvenate it? Green sand on the other hand is fairly simple but it drys out
                      > quickly. Any idea how long you can keep it in a sealed plastic container? Is
                      > one better than the other for casting aluminium? Thanks again for your help
                      > with my questions.
                      >
                      > Willy
                      >
                      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Dan Brewer <danqualman@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > What quantity of aluminum are you planning to melt? If it is less than 15
                      > > lbs I would suggest a furnace using a 20# propane bottle as a form. Use
                      > > castable refractory 2400 degree because of the insulating qualities. and
                      > > use propane as a fuel. Get Mike Porter's book on burners amazon has it
                      > here
                      > >
                      > > http://www.amazon.com/Gas-Burners-Forges-Furnaces-Kilns/dp/1879535203
                      > > The book has several burners as well as a a couple of choices for a
                      > furnace.
                      > >
                      > > Dan in Auburn
                      > >

                      > > On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Bill <billblackburn@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > Hi Guys
                      > > >
                      > > > I am planning on getting into metal casting (Aluminum) and trying to
                      > find a
                      > > > good casting supplier in my area. Mainly looking for casting sand and
                      > the
                      > > > refractory material to make my furnace. Having a hard time finding
                      > anyone in
                      > > > my area that sells casting materials. I am also planning to start
                      > building
                      > > > my furnace and trying to decide which size, shape and type of fuel to
                      > use?
                      > > > Will likely go with propane but I do like electric for simplicity. Also
                      > like
                      > > > the idea of banding fire bricks into the shape of the furnace? I live
                      > in the
                      > > > Barrie area which is one hour north of Toronto, Ontario. If you know of
                      > > > good casting supplier in my area, I would be grateful to hear from you.
                      > > > Thank you for your help.
                      > > >
                      > > > Best regards
                      > > >
                      > > > Willy

                    • abascirocco
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 12, 2011
                        Weight is one of the reasons I chose make a reverb style furnace rather than a crucible type. I didn't like the idea of trying to muscle a heavy crucible filled with 15lbs or more of molten aluminum out of a furnace into some type of pouring shank. With the reverb, I never need to get much closer than about 2' to molten metal when I'm moving or pouring it and because the ladle I'm using is thin stainless steel that doesn't weigh a whole lot, the weight of the molten metal is very manageable single handed, much more so than a heavy crucible would be.

                      • abascirocco
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 12, 2011
                          Just for reference, the specific gravity of molten aluminium is 2.375. IOW, one litre weighs 2.375 kg.