How to ID types of brass

  • Nick Andrews
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 6 2:54 PM
      So what is the best way to ID types of brass you intend to melt? I have
      several sources I am collecting, such as plumbing fittings and valves, a
      brass lamp, brass statues and figures, old brass pipe from the bottom of
      water windmill pumps, etc.

      --
      Nick A

      "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
      single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

      deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
      of Pennsylvania, 1759

      "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the
      streets after them." Bill Vaughan

      "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
      Plato

    • Ron Thompson
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 6 3:08 PM
        I used to work in a scrap yard. They sorted as red brass, yellow
        brass, copper. If a magnet stuck, it went in the #2 iron pile because it
        was plated steel. Your brass lamp probably falls into this last
        category, as do many brass beds.

        On 10/6/2010 5:54 PM, Nick Andrews wrote:

        > So what is the best way to ID types of brass you intend to melt? I have
        > several sources I am collecting, such as plumbing fittings and valves, a
        > brass lamp, brass statues and figures, old brass pipe from the bottom of
        > water windmill pumps, etc.
        >
        > --
        > Nick A
        >
        > "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
        > single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

        > safety
        > deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
        > of Pennsylvania, 1759
        >
        > "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the
        > streets after them." Bill Vaughan
        >
        > "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
        > Plato

        Ron Thompson

        Sometimes you just gotta do what makes you smile.<GRIN>

        Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

      • Nick Andrews
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 6 3:15 PM
          I'll check it, but I hope not. It weighs about 10lbs or so!

          On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Ron Thompson <barebooger@...> wrote:

          > I used to work in a scrap yard. They sorted as red brass, yellow
          > brass, copper. If a magnet stuck, it went in the #2 iron pile because it
          > was plated steel. Your brass lamp probably falls into this last
          > category, as do many brass beds.
          >

          > On 10/6/2010 5:54 PM, Nick Andrews wrote:
          > >
          > > So what is the best way to ID types of brass you intend to melt? I have
          > > several sources I am collecting, such as plumbing fittings and valves, a
          > > brass lamp, brass statues and figures, old brass pipe from the bottom of
          > > water windmill pumps, etc.
          > >
          > > --
          > > Nick A
          > >
          > > "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
          > > single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975
          > >
          > > "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
          > > safety
          > > deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical
          > Review
          > > of Pennsylvania, 1759
          > >
          > > "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the
          > > streets after them." Bill Vaughan
          > >
          > > "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
          > > Plato

          > --
          >
          > Ron Thompson
          > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space
          > Center, USA
          >
          > Sometimes you just gotta do what makes you smile.<GRIN>
          >
          > http://www.plansandprojects.com My hobby pages are here:
          > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
          >
          > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
          > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/

          Nick A

          "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
          single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

          deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
          of Pennsylvania, 1759

          "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the
          streets after them." Bill Vaughan

          "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
          Plato

        • Lyle
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 6 3:42 PM
            That's the same way they sort it here but the problem is yellow brass can be "high strength yellow brass" (mag bronze) or leaded yellow brass, or even silicon brass and they don't always mix so you need chemicals such as silver nitrate, nitic acid, ect and a magnet doesn't hurt either as mag bronze is slightly magnetic. Anything with lead won't mix with anything with silicon. Lots of plumbing valves have silicon bronze seals and leaded yellow brass bodies so you need to be careful.

            I've found out that it's almost easier to buy certified ingot at 3 to $4/lb rather than scrounge, cut up, clean and sort scrap brass. Although about half the brass I melt is scrap.'

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson <barebooger@...> wrote:

            > I used to work in a scrap yard. They sorted as red brass, yellow
            > brass, copper. If a magnet stuck, it went in the #2 iron pile because it
            > was plated steel. Your brass lamp probably falls into this last
            > category, as do many brass beds.
            >
            > On 10/6/2010 5:54 PM, Nick Andrews wrote:
            > >
            > > So what is the best way to ID types of brass you intend to melt? I have
            > > several sources I am collecting, such as plumbing fittings and valves, a
            > > brass lamp, brass statues and figures, old brass pipe from the bottom of
            > > water windmill pumps, etc.
            > >
            > > --
            > > Nick A
            > >
            > > "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
            > > single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975
            > >
            > > "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
            > > safety
            > > deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
            > > of Pennsylvania, 1759
            > >
            > > "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the
            > > streets after them." Bill Vaughan
            > >
            > > "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
            > > Plato

            > --
            >

            > Ron Thompson
            > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA
            >
            > Sometimes you just gotta do what makes you smile.<GRIN>
            >
            > http://www.plansandprojects.com My hobby pages are here:
            > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
            >
            > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
            > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/

          • James Ward
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 6 3:50 PM
              Remember that brass is not bronze and bronze is not brass. Both are alloys of copper, one of tin the other of zinc.

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 7 4:16 PM
                Yes, but sometimes a commercial alloys are called one and actually technically another. The point I was trying to make is not all brass is compatible with other brasses. Same with bronzes. And the "sort by color" method is sure to get you in trouble.

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 7 4:41 PM
                  I thought they outlawed sorting by color in the 60s...

                  On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Lyle <creepinogie@...> wrote:

                  > Yes, but sometimes a commercial alloys are called one and actually
                  > technically another. The point I was trying to make is not all brass is
                  > compatible with other brasses. Same with bronzes. And the "sort by color"
                  > method is sure to get you in trouble.
                  >

                  > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com <hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com>, James Ward
                  > <jamesward@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Remember that brass is not bronze and bronze is not brass. Both are
                  > alloys of copper, one of tin the other of zinc.
                  > >
                  > > On Oct 6, 2010, at 6:42 PM, "Lyle" <creepinogie@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > That's the same way they sort it here but the problem is yellow brass
                  > can be "high strength yellow brass" (mag bronze) or leaded yellow brass, or
                  > even silicon brass and they don't always mix so you need chemicals such as
                  > silver nitrate, nitic acid, ect and a magnet doesn't hurt either as mag
                  > bronze is slightly magnetic. Anything with lead won't mix with anything with
                  > silicon. Lots of plumbing valves have silicon bronze seals and leaded yellow
                  > brass bodies so you need to be careful.
                  > > >
                  > > > I've found out that it's almost easier to buy certified ingot at 3 to
                  > $4/lb rather than scrounge, cut up, clean and sort scrap brass. Although
                  > about half the brass I melt is scrap.'
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com <hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com>, Ron

                  > it

                  > have
                  > valves, a
                  > bottom of

                  > but a

                  > temporary
                  > Review

                  > names the

                  > men."

                  > Center, USA

                  Nick A

                  "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
                  single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

                  deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
                  of Pennsylvania, 1759

                  "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the
                  streets after them." Bill Vaughan

                  "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
                  Plato

                • Rupert
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 7 4:41 PM
                    And, there are some bronze and brass alloys in the gray area. They will
                    have both zinc and tin in the alloy.

                    Rupert

                    On 10/7/2010 5:16 PM, Lyle wrote:
                    > Yes, but sometimes a commercial alloys are called one and actually technically another. The point I was trying to make is not all brass is compatible with other brasses. Same with bronzes. And the "sort by color" method is sure to get you in trouble.
                    >
                    > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, James Ward<jamesward@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Remember that brass is not bronze and bronze is not brass. Both are alloys of copper, one of tin the other of zinc.
                    >>
                    >> On Oct 6, 2010, at 6:42 PM, "Lyle"<creepinogie@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> That's the same way they sort it here but the problem is yellow brass can be "high strength yellow brass" (mag bronze) or leaded yellow brass, or even silicon brass and they don't always mix so you need chemicals such as silver nitrate, nitic acid, ect and a magnet doesn't hurt either as mag bronze is slightly magnetic. Anything with lead won't mix with anything with silicon. Lots of plumbing valves have silicon bronze seals and leaded yellow brass bodies so you need to be careful.
                    >>>
                    >>> I've found out that it's almost easier to buy certified ingot at 3 to $4/lb rather than scrounge, cut up, clean and sort scrap brass. Although about half the brass I melt is scrap.'

                    > List Owner:

                    yvt

                    Rupert Wenig
                    Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

                    email: rwenig2@...

                    http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
                  • Kerri Duncan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 7 5:49 PM
                      Lyle- I get the point for the look and sort method- would there be a difference in the alloys used for the same type of thing? I have about 20 LPG fixtures from BBQ tanks- but from different makers- would the alloy all be compatible?

                      My noob logic says those items would be spec specific for the type of use... or am I wrong here too (getting used to having to re-think things) ;)!

                      Thanks

                      Yes, but sometimes a commercial alloys are called one and actually technically another. The point I was trying to make is not all brass is compatible with other brasses. Same with bronzes. And the "sort by color" method is sure to get you in trouble.

                      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, James Ward <jamesward@...> wrote:

                      > Remember that brass is not bronze and bronze is not brass. Both are alloys of copper, one of tin the other of zinc.
                      >
                      > On Oct 6, 2010, at 6:42 PM, "Lyle" <creepinogie@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > That's the same way they sort it here but the problem is yellow brass can be "high strength yellow brass" (mag bronze) or leaded yellow brass, or even silicon brass and they don't always mix so you need chemicals such as silver nitrate, nitic acid, ect and a magnet doesn't hurt either as mag bronze is slightly magnetic. Anything with lead won't mix with anything with silicon. Lots of plumbing valves have silicon bronze seals and leaded yellow brass bodies so you need to be careful.
                      > >
                      > > I've found out that it's almost easier to buy certified ingot at 3 to $4/lb rather than scrounge, cut up, clean and sort scrap brass. Although about half the brass I melt is scrap.'
                      > >
                      > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson <barebooger@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I used to work in a scrap yard. They sorted as red brass, yellow
                      > > > brass, copper. If a magnet stuck, it went in the #2 iron pile because it
                      > > > was plated steel. Your brass lamp probably falls into this last
                      > > > category, as do many brass beds.

                      > > > --
                      > > >

                      > > > Ron Thompson
                      > > > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA
                      > > >
                      > > > Sometimes you just gotta do what makes you smile.<GRIN>
                      > > >
                      > > > http://www.plansandprojects.com My hobby pages are here:
                      > > > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
                      > > >
                      > > > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                      > > > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/

                    • David Patterson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 7 5:58 PM
                        I sort my brass and bronze by type. plumbing or display(soap trays, candlesticks, etc), for brass. I was given a bronze casting and some bronze bolts that I would keep seperated.
                        I do the same with aluminum. May not be the best, but haven't had a problem yet. If I ever need a specific alloy I'll buy that alloy.

                        Dave Patterson
                        odd_kins@...
                        http://home.comcast.net/~oddkins/foundry_home.html

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 7 7:16 PM
                          Hello Dave,
                          Your method of sorting is similar to mine. Interestingly, I mixed a
                          bunch of what I thought was brass in a melt to cast a flat plate for
                          machining stock some years back when I first started melting brass. The
                          plate had lots of color streaks throughout. Remelting the plate and a
                          bit of stirring blended the colors. Using flux the second time may have
                          helped too. I've kept scrap separated to different items since.

                          Rupert

                          On 10/7/2010 6:58 PM, David Patterson wrote:
                          > I sort my brass and bronze by type. plumbing or display(soap trays, candlesticks, etc), for brass. I was given a bronze casting and some bronze bolts that I would keep seperated.
                          > I do the same with aluminum. May not be the best, but haven't had a problem yet. If I ever need a specific alloy I'll buy that alloy.
                          >
                          > Dave Patterson
                          > odd_kins@...
                          > http://home.comcast.net/~oddkins/foundry_home.html
                          >
                          > --- On Thu, 10/7/10, Rupert<rwenig2@...> wrote:

                          --

                          yvt

                          Rupert Wenig
                          Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

                          email: rwenig2@...

                          http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
                        • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 8 3:23 AM
                            Silicon Bronze, Copper and Silicon is it a brass or a bronze.

                            An Alcemist just striring it.... ;~)

                            Malcolm

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 8 6:18 AM
                              Here's what I do. I have three brass crucibles, 1 for silicon bronze, one for mag bronze, and one for scrap. When I go to the scrapyard (Gerdue here in Fargo, (some Brazilian firm bought out Fargo metal and Iron)) I have a file, a magnet and some silver nitrate. I go to their "yellow brass" pile and grab large thicker pieces (thin pieces will oxidize too much when melting) I file off a little so it's clean and put a drop of silver nitrate on it. if it turns black, and is just barely magnetic, it's some sort of mag bronze and is good stuff. Many plumbing fittings are mag bronze. That's the stuff I use for scrap. The best scrap mag bronze is the large acme threaded rod inside of large plumbing valves such as fire hydrants. My other two crucibles are for certified ingot. Mag bronze ingots are harder and harder to get for some reason. I have been sucessful with melting mag bronze mixed with silicon bronze and silicon bronze mixed with zinc (to give it more of a yellow color and make it easier to cut. When Adding the zinc, it will flair and you will need to skim the dross and degass as the zinc wil boil. I do not use flux but I do degass with a little piece of phospher copper welding rod. You don't need to degass or flux silicon bronze at all.

                              Having said all that, I don't mix leaded yellow brass with anything. It will not mix with silicon bronze at all because of the lead silicon reaction with will ruin your crucible to the point of not being able to clean it out. When I first starting doing all this I would melt pretty much anything with varied results, Brass track wedges, aluminum bronze, etc. Scrap brass is easy to find. good usable scrap is another thing. I melt more and more ingot nowdays but that's a hassle too as the place I buy it from dosen't ship and if they did, shipping would kill me so I need to drive to Minneapolis 240 miles away....

                              If you have a buch of plumbing fittings, go for it but test them first with the silver nitrate.