Just starting

  • Ella / Ray Hoerning
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 11, 2000
      Hi,
      I am just starting and would like to know if any one near me (20
      mins from Newark Airport in NJ) has a working setup or in the process of
      building one..
      Also does anyone have any leads as to where to buy supplies local to
      my area?

      Thankyou
      Ray
    • mz1773@havilandtelco.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 11, 2000
        --- In hobbicast@egroups.com, Ella / Ray Hoerning <rhoerning@h...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I am just starting and would like to know if any one near me (20
        > mins from Newark Airport in NJ) has a working setup or in the
        process of
        > building one..
        > Also does anyone have any leads as to where to buy supplies
        local to
        > my area?
        >
        > Thankyou
        > Ray

        They are in California but you might try
        http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com They have about every thing one
        could want for casting.

        Marvin
      • lslmo@TheRamp.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 12, 2000
          I am interested in trying my hand at casting, and I thought I would
          start with a Gingery style forge. The problem is I can't locate any
          fire clay. What kind of place sells this product.
        • LLandstrom
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 12, 2000
            Go to a building supplier and ask for castable
            refractory cement. it's used to rebuild furnaces in buildings.

            http://shopping.yahoo.com/
          • Melon, Jack
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 13, 2000
              The refractory cement will work for the forge lining. As a side note: If I
              remember correctly, the Gingerly book also mentions using the fire clay in a
              mix with 85-125 mesh silica sand to make your own molding sand. The
              refractory cement won't work there.

              Here [NJ] a lot of the _real_ building suppliers - not HomeDepot, Lowes, etc
              - carry fire clay, bentonite, etc or try a local ceramic supplier. They
              should at least be able to point you in the right direction.

              Jack

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 13, 2000
                Your going to need to go to an Industral supplier, not
                Home Depot. Use bentonite clay (comes dry, in bags) a
                concrete readymix supplier should have this. Unless
                there's no construction in your area, it's available.
                Maybe a heating and airconditioning place has it, well
                drillers, mud jackers, etc.

                You might need to contact AP Greens home office to
                find your local distributor, I'm sure there's one.
                Same with Bentonite. I was getting mine 265 miles away
                in Minneapolis when they place I was buying it at told
                me they shipped tons of it to a place here in town
                about 5 miles away. I felt like a fool.

                Or, you can check where the local High School gets
                their supply from.

                http://shopping.yahoo.com/
              • Matt Zeits
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 13, 2000
                  which NJ do you live in?
                  > The refractory cement will work for the forge lining. As a side note: If I
                  > remember correctly, the Gingerly book also mentions using the fire clay in
                  > mix with 85-125 mesh silica sand to make your own molding sand. The
                  > refractory cement won't work there.
                  >
                  > Here [NJ] a lot of the _real_ building suppliers - not HomeDepot, Lowes,
                  etc
                  > - carry fire clay, bentonite, etc or try a local ceramic supplier. They
                  > should at least be able to point you in the right direction.
                  >
                  > Jack

                • James (Jim) Buchanan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 13, 2000
                    For fire clay try a brick yard. Fire clay is used in fire place
                    construction. Also a lumber yard may have it. For bentinite try a farm
                    feed store. Used to as a binder in animal feed.
                    James (Jim) Buchanan
                    Lexington, Kentucky USA
                    Climax Class B Locomotive; Builder and Operator
                    jambuch@...
                  • sreves4440@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 14, 2000
                      Boiler repair services is another source of castable refractories.
                      And most of them carry the ceramic blanket also.
                    • Jeff Swann
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 14, 2000
                        Here's one good source for refractories,I've dealt
                        with the Erie office myself.These folks seem to have
                        anything needed for guys like us....Jeff

                        http://onexnet.com/furnace.html

                        --- sreves4440@... wrote:
                        > Boiler repair services is another source of castable
                        > refractories.
                        > And most of them carry the ceramic blanket also.

                        > The Home Foundrymen's Association website may be
                        > found here:
                        > http://members.xoom.com/HWilkinson/index.htm
                        > It includes member project pages & links

                        http://shopping.yahoo.com/
                      • Ronald Thibault
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 16, 2000
                          At 08:14 AM 12/13/00 -0800, you wrote:
                          >Your going to need to go to an Industral supplier, not
                          >Home Depot. Use bentonite clay (comes dry, in bags) a
                          >concrete readymix supplier should have this. Unless
                          >there's no construction in your area, it's available.
                          >Maybe a heating and airconditioning place has it, well
                          >drillers, mud jackers, etc.
                          >
                          >You might need to contact AP Greens home office to
                          >find your local distributor, I'm sure there's one.
                          >Same with Bentonite. I was getting mine 265 miles away
                          >in Minneapolis when they place I was buying it at told
                          >me they shipped tons of it to a place here in town
                          >about 5 miles away. I felt like a fool.
                          >
                          >Or, you can check where the local High School gets
                          >their supply from.
                          >
                          >LL

                          Is there a specific brand of fireplace cement you use?

                          Ron Thibault
                          North Augusta, SC USA
                          Builder Miinie #2
                          Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
                          http://pages.prodigy.net/thibaultr/
                        • LLandstrom
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 16, 2000
                            Ron,

                            I use AP Green. but only because it's available around
                            here. I think it's about $18.00/bag. Just ask for
                            castable refractory cement. It comes in different
                            grades depending on the heat it's supposed to
                            withstand.

                            I get it at Victor-Leeby, a local builders supplier.
                            They supply to contractors, not homeowners, but do
                            sell to the public. I bet wherever you are, you can
                            locate some in a matter of a few phone calls.

                            http://shopping.yahoo.com/
                          • Robert Grauman
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 16, 2000
                              Hello Ron,

                              I used A.P. Green "Mizzou" castable refractory to make my furnace. It is
                              several years old now, has hundreds of heats on it, it has sat out in the
                              rain and snow, it has been hauled thousands of miles in the back of my
                              pickup, and it's still in very good shape. The plinth has broken, but even
                              it's still useable - I just have to get around to casting a new one in a
                              margarine container. I used the 2800F refractory, but it's also available
                              in 3000F for slightly more money. For the Canadians here, we have found
                              that Duquesne "Dukast 2800" is at least as good as "Mizzou 2800". If you
                              are going to make heavy use of your furnace or if you plan on melting a lot
                              of cast iron, I would suggest using the 3000F refractory. This stuff is
                              cheap enough and so easy to work with that I don't think it's worth messing
                              with home made refractories. It shouldn't be hard to locate a bag or two.

                              Robert Grauman in Sunny Alberta

                              > Ron,
                              >
                              > I use AP Green. but only because it's available around
                              > here. I think it's about $18.00/bag. Just ask for
                              > castable refractory cement. It comes in different
                              > grades depending on the heat it's supposed to
                              > withstand.
                              >
                              > I get it at Victor-Leeby, a local builders supplier.
                              > They supply to contractors, not homeowners, but do
                              > sell to the public. I bet wherever you are, you can
                              > locate some in a matter of a few phone calls.
                              >
                              > LL
                            • Foundryman
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000
                                LL, Just curious, where are you located? Noticed that you use AP Green
                                products as do I.

                                Best, Jerry in Missouri
                                Custom Castings by Twaddell
                                foundryman@...
                                http://members.igateway.net/~jtwad/
                              • LLandstrom
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 17, 2000
                                  I'm in Moorhead Minnesota. I get AP Green refratory
                                  and firebrick from Victor-Leeby in Fargo North Dakota,
                                  just across the river.

                                  If your near, swing on by and I'll show you my set up.

                                  http://shopping.yahoo.com/
                                • Ronald Thibault
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 21, 2000
                                    At 08:57 PM 12/16/00 -0800, you wrote:
                                    >Ron,
                                    >
                                    >I use AP Green. but only because it's available around
                                    >here. I think it's about $18.00/bag. Just ask for
                                    >castable refractory cement. It comes in different
                                    >grades depending on the heat it's supposed to
                                    >withstand.
                                    >
                                    >I get it at Victor-Leeby, a local builders supplier.
                                    >They supply to contractors, not homeowners, but do
                                    >sell to the public. I bet wherever you are, you can
                                    >locate some in a matter of a few phone calls.
                                    >
                                    >LL

                                    Thanks!

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 21, 2000
                                      At 11:13 PM 12/16/00 -0700, you wrote:
                                      >Hello Ron,
                                      >
                                      >I used A.P. Green "Mizzou" castable refractory to make my furnace. It is
                                      >several years old now, has hundreds of heats on it, it has sat out in the
                                      >rain and snow, it has been hauled thousands of miles in the back of my
                                      >pickup, and it's still in very good shape. The plinth has broken, but even
                                      >it's still useable - I just have to get around to casting a new one in a
                                      >margarine container. I used the 2800F refractory, but it's also available
                                      >in 3000F for slightly more money. For the Canadians here, we have found
                                      >that Duquesne "Dukast 2800" is at least as good as "Mizzou 2800". If you
                                      >are going to make heavy use of your furnace or if you plan on melting a lot
                                      >of cast iron, I would suggest using the 3000F refractory. This stuff is
                                      >cheap enough and so easy to work with that I don't think it's worth messing
                                      >with home made refractories. It shouldn't be hard to locate a bag or two.
                                      >
                                      > Robert Grauman in Sunny Alberta

                                      Thank you also.