cnc

  • vintagepowerplus
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2010
      hi guys
      i was wandering if any members in england could help me out with my problem
      i need some one that can cnc polystirene to make a pattern for the exhaust of my old 1920 indian motorcycle i have a old part that is badly corroded but my foundry say they will cast from a polystirine
      piece for me
      any help appreciated

      barry

      south england
    • Dan Brewer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2010
        can you post a photo of the piece?
        Dan in Auburn

        On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:00 AM, vintagepowerplus <
        beach.buggy@...> wrote:

        > hi guys
        > i was wandering if any members in england could help me out with my problem
        > i need some one that can cnc polystirene to make a pattern for the exhaust
        > of my old 1920 indian motorcycle i have a old part that is badly corroded
        > but my foundry say they will cast from a polystirine
        > piece for me
        > any help appreciated
        >
        > barry
        >
        > south england

      • vintagepowerplus
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 28, 2010
          hi dan
          i have posted some pictures under barry in the photo section
          i have also just started to look into duplicator machines but cannot find much

          barry

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Dan Brewer <danqualman@...> wrote:

          > can you post a photo of the piece?
          > Dan in Auburn
          >
          > On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:00 AM, vintagepowerplus <
          > beach.buggy@...> wrote:
          >

          > > hi guys
          > > i was wandering if any members in england could help me out with my problem
          > > i need some one that can cnc polystirene to make a pattern for the exhaust
          > > of my old 1920 indian motorcycle i have a old part that is badly corroded
          > > but my foundry say they will cast from a polystirine
          > > piece for me
          > > any help appreciated
          > >
          > > barry
          > >
          > > south england

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 29, 2010
            barry I just looked at your part. it will take several pieces to build in lost foam. I can be done with cnc with some planing. i have a simple lost foam part here

            It required 4 pieces to make, yours will involve a few more. i would make a wood pattern with coreboxes, machining would take as long on a home machine.

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "vintagepowerplus" <beach.buggy@...> wrote:

            > hi dan
            > i have posted some pictures under barry in the photo section
            > i have also just started to look into duplicator machines but cannot find much
            >

            > barry
            >
            > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Dan Brewer <danqualman@> wrote:
            > >
            > > can you post a photo of the piece?
            > > Dan in Auburn
            > >
            > > On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:00 AM, vintagepowerplus <
            > > beach.buggy@> wrote:
            > >

            > > > hi guys
            > > > i was wandering if any members in england could help me out with my problem
            > > > i need some one that can cnc polystirene to make a pattern for the exhaust
            > > > of my old 1920 indian motorcycle i have a old part that is badly corroded
            > > > but my foundry say they will cast from a polystirine
            > > > piece for me
            > > > any help appreciated
            > > >
            > > > barry
            > > >
            > > > south england

          • vintagepowerplus
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2010
              hi dave
              thanks for getting back
              did you mould the polystyrene ?
              if so how?

              i was looking at maybe carving the part from 2 blocks of polystyrene
              there are some local companys that will give me some blocks
              they cnc it even with there help to cnc it is very expensive
              they spray metal on to carved cnc polystyrene for statues ect
              the part detail is not critical as it is out of sight under the bike
              but i think with a bit of work i could get it pretty good

              just thinking out loud

              barry

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <odd_kins@...> wrote:

              > barry I just looked at your part. it will take several pieces to build in lost foam. I can be done with cnc with some planing. i have a simple lost foam part here

              > It required 4 pieces to make, yours will involve a few more. i would make a wood pattern with coreboxes, machining would take as long on a home machine.
              >

              > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "vintagepowerplus" <beach.buggy@> wrote:
              > >
              > > hi dan
              > > i have posted some pictures under barry in the photo section
              > > i have also just started to look into duplicator machines but cannot find much
              > >

              > > barry
              > >
              > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Dan Brewer <danqualman@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > can you post a photo of the piece?
              > > > Dan in Auburn

            • chris
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
                Barry,

                those curves are going to be difficult to carve from polystyrene..

                even using a CNC machine...

                the section is pretty thin...

                I have made car inlet manifolds using lost foam but I wouldn't like to try this..

                Just a thought though..

                how about lost wax casting..

                make a former for the inside... wood, plaster, anything really..

                cover the former with a release membrane.. (no idea what, maybe aluminium foil, heat resistant cling film.. ?)

                dip coat the former in wax.. exactly how candle makers do it....

                when the desired thickness is reached clean up the outside...

                cut round the parting lines... and remove the former

                stick the parts together...

                proceeed as for a normal lost wax casting..

                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "vintagepowerplus" <beach.buggy@...> wrote:

                > hi dave
                > thanks for getting back
                > did you mould the polystyrene ?
                > if so how?
                >
                > i was looking at maybe carving the part from 2 blocks of polystyrene
                > there are some local companys that will give me some blocks
                > they cnc it even with there help to cnc it is very expensive
                > they spray metal on to carved cnc polystyrene for statues ect
                > the part detail is not critical as it is out of sight under the bike
                > but i think with a bit of work i could get it pretty good
                >

                > just thinking out loud
                >
                > barry
                >

                > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <odd_kins@> wrote:
                > >
                > > barry I just looked at your part. it will take several pieces to build in lost foam. I can be done with cnc with some planing. i have a simple lost foam part here

                > > It required 4 pieces to make, yours will involve a few more. i would make a wood pattern with coreboxes, machining would take as long on a home machine.
                > >

                > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "vintagepowerplus" <beach.buggy@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > hi dan
                > > > i have posted some pictures under barry in the photo section
                > > > i have also just started to look into duplicator machines but cannot find much
                > > >

                > > > barry

              • vintagepowerplus
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
                  hi chris
                  i have been in contact today with a art foundry
                  they were very helpfull and have invited me to go and visit
                  they will help me make the mould for lost wax
                  they suggest plaster as a mould to make the mould easily
                  as i only need 3 or 4
                  they seem to helpfull by suggesting i could do some of the mould making there

                  if this works out i will definatly post what was entailed on the forum

                  barry

                  --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "chris" <chris@...> wrote:

                  > Barry,
                  >
                  > those curves are going to be difficult to carve from polystyrene..
                  >
                  > even using a CNC machine...
                  >
                  > the section is pretty thin...
                  >
                  > I have made car inlet manifolds using lost foam but I wouldn't like to try this..
                  >

                  > Just a thought though..
                  >
                  > how about lost wax casting..
                  >
                  > make a former for the inside... wood, plaster, anything really..
                  >
                  > cover the former with a release membrane.. (no idea what, maybe aluminium foil, heat resistant cling film.. ?)
                  >
                  > dip coat the former in wax.. exactly how candle makers do it....
                  >
                  > when the desired thickness is reached clean up the outside...
                  >
                  > cut round the parting lines... and remove the former
                  >
                  > stick the parts together...
                  >
                  > proceeed as for a normal lost wax casting..
                  >

                  > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "vintagepowerplus" <beach.buggy@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > hi dave
                  > > thanks for getting back
                  > > did you mould the polystyrene ?
                  > > if so how?
                  > >
                  > > i was looking at maybe carving the part from 2 blocks of polystyrene
                  > > there are some local companys that will give me some blocks
                  > > they cnc it even with there help to cnc it is very expensive
                  > > they spray metal on to carved cnc polystyrene for statues ect
                  > > the part detail is not critical as it is out of sight under the bike
                  > > but i think with a bit of work i could get it pretty good
                  > >

                  > > just thinking out loud
                  > >
                  > > barry
                  > >

                  > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <odd_kins@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > barry I just looked at your part. it will take several pieces to build in lost foam. I can be done with cnc with some planing. i have a simple lost foam part here

                  > > > It required 4 pieces to make, yours will involve a few more. i would make a wood pattern with coreboxes, machining would take as long on a home machine.

                • chris
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
                    Cool,

                    it might be worth suggesting the plug pattern method I suggested, it will give a fairly accurate fit onto internally fitting pipes.

                    another method is a slush wax casting where you have a split mold that matches the outside shape, and pour in wax, then pour out when only a thin layer has solidified inside... repeating if its not thick enough.. similar to slip casting in pottery..

                    Note, I haven't tried these personally, but I have seen them done..

                    please take plenty of pics of your progress too !

                    Chris