Free Aluminum

  • Stone Tool
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 9, 2010
      I discovered the other day when taking 2700 lbs of scrap iron in for
      salvage..... on my half ton pickup :0)........ that they will NOT take
      AC compressors......apparently nobody will. Most modern automotive AC
      compressors have aluminum bodies with aluminum end caps, steel
      crankshaft and axial steel pistons, so there is a fair amount of
      aluminum in them.... and salvage yards cannot get rid of them due to
      some absurd concerns about refrigerant and oil. There will be NO
      significant amount of residual refrigerant in one of these....... and
      the small amount of PAG, POE, or mineral oil is easily removable, and no
      more toxic than any other oil... check the MDS on it. These units will
      yield a lot of scrap steel with the aluminum in the initial melt, but
      all of the aluminum is going to be an excellent castable alloy.
      Probably not worth the bother......... but it is worth noting that there
      apparently is not a market for the units..... locally at least. Pull
      off the end caps and slip the crank and swash plate out of one of these,
      and the pistons, and most of what is left is aluminum..... and the iron
      can go into the scrap iron bucket and be sold later as "prepared".

      Howard
    • Nick Andrews
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 9, 2010
        The real pisser is that there does not seem to be any source for rebuild
        kits for these to rebuild them yourself!

        --
        Nick A

        "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
        single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

        deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
        of Pennsylvania, 1759

        "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the
        streets after them." Bill Vaughan

        "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
        Plato

      • Stone Tool
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 9, 2010
          Nick:
          Many of them are built in such a way that it is virtually impossible
          to replace the seal which is usually the only thing to go bad. Like
          most stuff in our consumer society they are throw away. Personally I
          resent having been redefined at some time in my life as a "consumer" as
          opposed to "citizen". Consumer meaning mere a cog in the economic wheel.

          Howard

          Nick Andrews wrote:
          > The real pisser is that there does not seem to be any source for rebuild
          > kits for these to rebuild them yourself!
          >
          > On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:
          >

          >> I discovered the other day when taking 2700 lbs of scrap iron in for
          >> salvage..... on my half ton pickup :0)........ that they will NOT take
          >> AC compressors......apparently nobody will. Most modern automotive AC
          >> compressors have aluminum bodies with aluminum end caps, steel
          >> crankshaft and axial steel pistons, so there is a fair amount of
          >> aluminum in them.... and salvage yards cannot get rid of them due to
          >> some absurd concerns about refrigerant and oil. There will be NO
          >> significant amount of residual refrigerant in one of these....... and
          >> the small amount of PAG, POE, or mineral oil is easily removable, and no
          >> more toxic than any other oil... check the MDS on it. These units will
          >> yield a lot of scrap steel with the aluminum in the initial melt, but
          >> all of the aluminum is going to be an excellent castable alloy.
          >> Probably not worth the bother......... but it is worth noting that there
          >> apparently is not a market for the units..... locally at least. Pull
          >> off the end caps and slip the crank and swash plate out of one of these,
          >> and the pistons, and most of what is left is aluminum..... and the iron
          >> can go into the scrap iron bucket and be sold later as "prepared".
          >>
          >> Howard

        • Nick Andrews
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 9, 2010
            I concur. It disgusts me how everyone (almost) seems to think that
            everything is disposable these days. Pathetic. We who collect rubbish and
            melt the metal to make either useful items, machine parts or just artwork
            must be a better class of people.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2010
              Nick:

              You wrote: "We who collect rubbish and melt the metal to make
              either useful items, machine parts or just artwork must be a better
              class of people. "

              You can rest assured that you and I will have a seat on God's right hand
              in the hearafter ;-)

              Howard

              Nick Andrews wrote:
              > I concur. It disgusts me how everyone (almost) seems to think that
              > everything is disposable these days. Pathetic. We who collect rubbish and
              > melt the metal to make either useful items, machine parts or just artwork
              > must be a better class of people.
              >
              > On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Nick:
              >> Many of them are built in such a way that it is virtually impossible
              >> to replace the seal which is usually the only thing to go bad. Like
              >> most stuff in our consumer society they are throw away. Personally I
              >> resent having been redefined at some time in my life as a "consumer" as
              >> opposed to "citizen". Consumer meaning mere a cog in the economic wheel.
              >>
              >> Howard
              >>

              >> Nick Andrews wrote:
              >>
              >>> The real pisser is that there does not seem to be any source for rebuild
              >>> kits for these to rebuild them yourself!

            • Gary R
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 10, 2010
                No such problem around here. Most stuff like that never gets close to a scrap yard without being melted down first. And yes , the scrap yards around here will gladly take them, though the recyclers will pay more. You'd be hard pressed to even find a pop can laying around.
                A few of us are even salvaging plastics as well.

                " I've never been accused of using something for what it was intended."

                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:

                > I discovered the other day when taking 2700 lbs of scrap iron in for
                > salvage..... on my half ton pickup :0)........ that they will NOT take
                > AC compressors......apparently nobody will. Most modern automotive AC
                > compressors have aluminum bodies with aluminum end caps, steel
                > crankshaft and axial steel pistons, so there is a fair amount of
                > aluminum in them.... and salvage yards cannot get rid of them due to
                > some absurd concerns about refrigerant and oil. There will be NO
                > significant amount of residual refrigerant in one of these....... and
                > the small amount of PAG, POE, or mineral oil is easily removable, and no
                > more toxic than any other oil... check the MDS on it. These units will
                > yield a lot of scrap steel with the aluminum in the initial melt, but
                > all of the aluminum is going to be an excellent castable alloy.
                > Probably not worth the bother......... but it is worth noting that there
                > apparently is not a market for the units..... locally at least. Pull
                > off the end caps and slip the crank and swash plate out of one of these,
                > and the pistons, and most of what is left is aluminum..... and the iron
                > can go into the scrap iron bucket and be sold later as "prepared".
                >

                > Howard

              • Steve Squier
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 10, 2010
                  That's something I've been wondering about.
                  Can one salvage plastics and melt it down to pour
                  into molds using methods similar to aluminum
                  casting (buy at lower temps)?

                  Anyone try casting with recycled plastics?

                  Steve Squier

                  Sent from my iPhone

                • castings@got.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 10, 2010
                    Steve-

                    To be honest I don't have any direct experience with plastic
                    "casting"... but I don't know if it could be accomplished using a
                    similar method to sand casting for a few reasons (off the top of my
                    head):

                    1) Plastic molding is typically done under multiple tons of pressure,
                    which would not be present in a sand mold.

                    2) One of the things sand casting relies on is the head pressure from
                    the sprue forcing the metal into the depression in the sand. Plastic
                    is not very dense, even when compared to aluminum (vs. steel or
                    brass). Even if you got the plastic liquid (which would not be too
                    hard I think) I think your going to have trouble with filling a mold
                    that has any detail.

                    I'd be interested if anyone else in the forum has had any experience
                    doing this... but I'm skeptical of its feasibility.

                    Josh

                    > That's something I've been wondering about.
                    > Can one salvage plastics and melt it down to pour
                    > into molds using methods similar to aluminum
                    > casting (buy at lower temps)?
                    >
                    > Anyone try casting with recycled plastics?
                    >
                    > Steve Squier
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone
                    >
                    > On Jun 10, 2010, at 6:33 AM, "Gary R" <garyr46953@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > No such problem around here. Most stuff like that never gets close
                    > to a scrap yard without being melted down first. And yes , the scrap
                    > yards around here will gladly take them, though the recyclers will
                    > pay more. You'd be hard pressed to even find a pop can laying around.
                    > A few of us are even salvaging plastics as well.
                    >
                    > " I've never been accused of using something for what it was intended."
                    >
                    > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I discovered the other day when taking 2700 lbs of scrap iron in for
                    >> salvage..... on my half ton pickup :0)........ that they will NOT take
                    >> AC compressors......apparently nobody will. Most modern automotive AC
                    >> compressors have aluminum bodies with aluminum end caps, steel
                    >> crankshaft and axial steel pistons, so there is a fair amount of
                    >> aluminum in them.... and salvage yards cannot get rid of them due to
                    >> some absurd concerns about refrigerant and oil. There will be NO
                    >> significant amount of residual refrigerant in one of these....... and
                    >> the small amount of PAG, POE, or mineral oil is easily removable, and no
                    >> more toxic than any other oil... check the MDS on it. These units will
                    >> yield a lot of scrap steel with the aluminum in the initial melt, but
                    >> all of the aluminum is going to be an excellent castable alloy.
                    >> Probably not worth the bother......... but it is worth noting that there
                    >> apparently is not a market for the units..... locally at least. Pull
                    >> off the end caps and slip the crank and swash plate out of one of these,
                    >> and the pistons, and most of what is left is aluminum..... and the iron
                    >> can go into the scrap iron bucket and be sold later as "prepared".
                    >>

                    >> Howard

                    > List Owner:

                  • Ron Thompson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 10, 2010
                      Plastic is viscous and requires pressure to fill a mold. It also
                      requires pretty strict temperature regulation for each specific plastic,
                      there are hundreds. Mixing different kinds of plastic is not usually a
                      good idea. It also needs to be very clean.
                      You may like joining:

                      On 6/10/2010 2:17 PM, Steve Squier wrote:

                      > That's something I've been wondering about.
                      > Can one salvage plastics and melt it down to pour
                      > into molds using methods similar to aluminum
                      > casting (buy at lower temps)?
                      >
                      > Anyone try casting with recycled plastics?
                      >
                      > Steve Squier
                      >
                      > Sent from my iPhone
                      >
                      > On Jun 10, 2010, at 6:33 AM, "Gary R" <garyr46953@...
                      > <mailto:garyr46953%40att.net>> wrote:
                      >
                      > No such problem around here. Most stuff like that never gets close to a
                      > scrap yard without being melted down first. And yes , the scrap yards
                      > around here will gladly take them, though the recyclers will pay more.
                      > You'd be hard pressed to even find a pop can laying around.
                      > A few of us are even salvaging plastics as well.
                      >
                      > " I've never been accused of using something for what it was intended."
                      >
                      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I discovered the other day when taking 2700 lbs of scrap iron in for
                      > > salvage..... on my half ton pickup :0)........ that they will NOT take
                      > > AC compressors......apparently nobody will. Most modern automotive AC
                      > > compressors have aluminum bodies with aluminum end caps, steel
                      > > crankshaft and axial steel pistons, so there is a fair amount of
                      > > aluminum in them.... and salvage yards cannot get rid of them due to
                      > > some absurd concerns about refrigerant and oil. There will be NO
                      > > significant amount of residual refrigerant in one of these....... and
                      > > the small amount of PAG, POE, or mineral oil is easily removable, and no
                      > > more toxic than any other oil... check the MDS on it. These units will
                      > > yield a lot of scrap steel with the aluminum in the initial melt, but
                      > > all of the aluminum is going to be an excellent castable alloy.
                      > > Probably not worth the bother......... but it is worth noting that there
                      > > apparently is not a market for the units..... locally at least. Pull
                      > > off the end caps and slip the crank and swash plate out of one of these,
                      > > and the pistons, and most of what is left is aluminum..... and the iron
                      > > can go into the scrap iron bucket and be sold later as "prepared".
                      > >

                      > > Howard

                      Ron Thompson Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
                      On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space
                      Center, USA

                      The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion
                      of knowledge.
                      —Daniel J. Boorstin

                      Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                    • STEVEN SQUIER
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 10, 2010
                        Thank you.  I will indeed join that group- it looks to be interesting.

                        Steve

> [...]

                        >  > yield a lot of scrap steel with the aluminum in the initial melt, but
                        >  > all of the aluminum is going to be an excellent castable alloy.
                        >  > Probably not worth the bother......... but it is worth noting that there
                        >  > apparently is not a market for the units..... locally at least. Pull
                        >  > off the end caps and slip the crank and swash plate out of one of these,
                        >  > and the pistons, and most of what is left is aluminum..... and the iron
                        >  > can go into the scrap iron bucket and be sold later as "prepared".
                        >  >
                        >  >
                        >  > Howard
                        >  >

                        Ron Thompson Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
                        On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space
                        Center, USA

                        The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion

                        check out these two affiliated sites:

                        List Owner:

                      • Lance
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 10, 2010
                          Do a Google for home made machinable wax.
                          It's a combo of waxes and poly 2 and 4.

                          It can be melted and poured into a hot mold.
                          When cool, it is machinable.

                          You can also buy machinable wax, but the DIY
                          works almost as well... it's just a pain in the drain to make.

                          lance
                          ++++

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 10, 2010
                            On Jun 10, 2010, at 1:42 PM, castings@... wrote:

                            > I'd be interested if anyone else in the forum has had any experience
                            > doing this... but I'm skeptical of its feasibility.

                            Of course, there are several types of plastic, and they all have different properties. But I agree with what you are saying.

                            Some plastic can only be practically recycled into completely different material such as spinning into fleece.

                            HDPE plastic (milk/water jugs) can be chopped up and put into a heated cylinder and squeezed (plastic extruder). People have made these type of heads for what essentially is a CNC machine - turns it into a 3D plastic printer.

                            Used by some people on:

                            http://www.makerbot.com/

                            RepRap:

                            http://reprap.org/wiki/WebHome

                            And this guy has a really cool blog (a lot of R&D on the subject), even figured out what a milk jug is worth versus buying the material:

                            http://hydraraptor.blogspot.com/

                            One of these days, I am going to make a plastic extruder for my CNC machine...

                            Cheers,

                            Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                            <http://OpenOSX.com>
                            phone: 208.462.4171
                          • oldstudentmsgt
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 11, 2010
                              Check out Rick Sparber's articles on his plastic injection molding machine on the Yahoo Gingery Machines group. But the answer your question in a word: Yes! ;)

                              Bill in OKC

                              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Steve Squier <steven.squier@...> wrote:

                              > That's something I've been wondering about.
                              > Can one salvage plastics and melt it down to pour
                              > into molds using methods similar to aluminum
                              > casting (buy at lower temps)?
                              >
                              > Anyone try casting with recycled plastics?
                              >
                              > Steve Squier
                              >
                              > Sent from my iPhone
                              >
                              > On Jun 10, 2010, at 6:33 AM, "Gary R" <garyr46953@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > No such problem around here. Most stuff like that never gets close to a scrap yard without being melted down first. And yes , the scrap yards around here will gladly take them, though the recyclers will pay more. You'd be hard pressed to even find a pop can laying around.
                              > A few of us are even salvaging plastics as well.
                              >
                              > " I've never been accused of using something for what it was intended."
                              >
                              > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Stone Tool <owly@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I discovered the other day when taking 2700 lbs of scrap iron in for
                              > > salvage..... on my half ton pickup :0)........ that they will NOT take
                              > > AC compressors......apparently nobody will. Most modern automotive AC
                              > > compressors have aluminum bodies with aluminum end caps, steel
                              > > crankshaft and axial steel pistons, so there is a fair amount of
                              > > aluminum in them.... and salvage yards cannot get rid of them due to
                              > > some absurd concerns about refrigerant and oil. There will be NO
                              > > significant amount of residual refrigerant in one of these....... and
                              > > the small amount of PAG, POE, or mineral oil is easily removable, and no
                              > > more toxic than any other oil... check the MDS on it. These units will
                              > > yield a lot of scrap steel with the aluminum in the initial melt, but
                              > > all of the aluminum is going to be an excellent castable alloy.
                              > > Probably not worth the bother......... but it is worth noting that there
                              > > apparently is not a market for the units..... locally at least. Pull
                              > > off the end caps and slip the crank and swash plate out of one of these,
                              > > and the pistons, and most of what is left is aluminum..... and the iron
                              > > can go into the scrap iron bucket and be sold later as "prepared".
                              > >

                              > > Howard

                            • Gary R
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 11, 2010
                                Thanks Ron. Just joined that group.

                                The metal I cast is mostly aluminum. Mostly basic shapes to machine parts from. My furnace is propane when I can afford it, charcoal when I can't. I have stuff for a larger furnace when I get around to it.
                                Mostly I just cut up polystyrene plastic I find. Though I cast polyurethane resins. We'll see how the injection molding goes.
                                Latest project is large scale model railroad. Can't afford to buy it, but I can sure make it.

                                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson <barebooger@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > > > more toxic than any other oil... check the MDS on it. These units will
                                > > > yield a lot of scrap steel with the aluminum in the initial melt, but
                                > > > all of the aluminum is going to be an excellent castable alloy.
                                > > > Probably not worth the bother......... but it is worth noting that there
                                > > > apparently is not a market for the units..... locally at least. Pull
                                > > > off the end caps and slip the crank and swash plate out of one of these,
                                > > > and the pistons, and most of what is left is aluminum..... and the iron
                                > > > can go into the scrap iron bucket and be sold later as "prepared".
                                > > >

                                > > > Howard

                                > --
                                >

                                > Ron Thompson Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
                                > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space
                                > Center, USA
                                >
                                > The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion

                              • Ron Thompson
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 11, 2010
                                  Great! Glad to help.

                                  On 6/11/2010 8:44 AM, Gary R wrote:

                                  > Thanks Ron. Just joined that group.
                                  >
                                  > The metal I cast is mostly aluminum. Mostly basic shapes to machine
                                  > parts from. My furnace is propane when I can afford it, charcoal when I
                                  > can't. I have stuff for a larger furnace when I get around to it.
                                  > Mostly I just cut up polystyrene plastic I find. Though I cast
                                  > polyurethane resins. We'll see how the injection molding goes.
                                  > Latest project is large scale model railroad. Can't afford to buy it,
                                  > but I can sure make it.
                                  >
                                  > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                  > Ron Thompson <barebooger@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Plastic is viscous and requires pressure to fill a mold. It also
                                  > > requires pretty strict temperature regulation for each specific plastic,
                                  > > there are hundreds. Mixing different kinds of plastic is not usually a
                                  > > good idea. It also needs to be very clean.
                                  > > You may like joining:
                                  > >
                                  > > On 6/10/2010 2:17 PM, Steve Squier wrote:
                                  > > >

                                  > > > That's something I've been wondering about.
                                  > > > Can one salvage plastics and melt it down to pour
                                  > > > into molds using methods similar to aluminum
                                  > > > casting (buy at lower temps)?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Anyone try casting with recycled plastics?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Steve Squier
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Sent from my iPhone
                                  > > >
                                  > > > On Jun 10, 2010, at 6:33 AM, "Gary R" <garyr46953@...
                                  > > > <mailto:garyr46953%40att.net>> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > No such problem around here. Most stuff like that never gets close to a
                                  > > > scrap yard without being melted down first. And yes , the scrap yards
                                  > > > around here will gladly take them, though the recyclers will pay more.
                                  > > > You'd be hard pressed to even find a pop can laying around.
                                  > > > A few of us are even salvaging plastics as well.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > " I've never been accused of using something for what it was intended."
                                  > > >
                                  > > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
                                  > <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com>,

                                  > take
                                  > and no
                                  > will
                                  > that there
                                  > these,
                                  > the iron

                                  > > --
                                  > >

                                  > > Ron Thompson Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
                                  > > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space
                                  > > Center, USA
                                  > >
                                  > > The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion
                                  > > of knowledge.
                                  > > —Daniel J. Boorstin
                                  > >
                                  > > http://www.plansandprojects.com My hobby pages are here:
                                  > > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
                                  > >
                                  > > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                                  > > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/

                                  --

                                  Ron Thompson Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
                                  On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space
                                  Center, USA

                                  The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion
                                  of knowledge.
                                  —Daniel J. Boorstin

                                  Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                                • Sebastien Bailard
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 11, 2010
                                    > One of these days, I am going to make a plastic extruder for my CNC
                                    > machine...
                                    >

                                    > Cheers,
                                    >
                                    > Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                                    > <http://OpenOSX.com>