Re: [hobbicast] Allow myself to introduce... myself :)

  • Ron Thompson
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 2 4:52 AM
      Maybe you are looking in the wrong places for a worm gear. An old
      roto-tiller has a very good worm gear for a muller. Typically the motor
      will die long before the gears.
      The thick output shafts for the tines are great for the muller, too.
      Here's an example:
      <http://www.richardspelling.com/richardsfoundry/images/muller6.jpg>
      This was taken from this page:
      <http://www.richardspelling.com/richardsfoundry/index.html>

      On 6/1/2010 9:40 PM, John Hong wrote:

      > That is a great idea! I will work on it as soon as i am finished the
      > muller.
      >
      > Does anyone have any good ideas for the gear reduction for getting the motor
      > speed from 1725rpm to about 30rpm? I looked into what a worm gear costs,
      > and it is way out of my budget.....
      >
      > On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM, grumpy grady <grumpygrady@...
      > <mailto:grumpygrady%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
      >

      > > if you can, make different sizes of bases for the chisels ie a 1" square
      > > one ,2" square one a round one , an oblong one, and one big one
      > > they all will come in handy now and then
      > > i made mine so a pin holds the base on the chisel and i pull a pin and
      > > change bases

      > > ________________________________
      > > From: John Hong <jphonger@... <mailto:jphonger%40gmail.com>
      > <jphonger%40gmail.com>>

      Ron Thompson Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
      On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space
      Center, USA

      Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

      Want to have some fun? The next time you're at McDonald's, wait until
      the kid has your change ready and then say "Wait, I've got the two cents."
      -Ron Thompson
    • Rick Sparber
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 2 6:16 AM
        Howard,

        Thanks for the history lesson.

        Except for that one bad experience, I have had good dealings with BCS. That
        is where I bought my last two heating elements for my furnace. Couldn't find
        them anywhere else.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 2 7:34 AM
          John
          I found a 50:1 worm gear in the transmission of an old wringer washer. You would have to build a transmission case for them though.

          JohnW

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson <barebooger@...> wrote:

          > Maybe you are looking in the wrong places for a worm gear. An old
          > roto-tiller has a very good worm gear for a muller. Typically the motor
          > will die long before the gears.
          > The thick output shafts for the tines are great for the muller, too.
          > Here's an example:
          > <http://www.richardspelling.com/richardsfoundry/images/muller6.jpg>
          > This was taken from this page:
          > <http://www.richardspelling.com/richardsfoundry/index.html>
          >

          > On 6/1/2010 9:40 PM, John Hong wrote:
          > >

          > > That is a great idea! I will work on it as soon as i am finished the
          > > muller.
          > >
          > > Does anyone have any good ideas for the gear reduction for getting the motor
          > > speed from 1725rpm to about 30rpm? I looked into what a worm gear costs,
          > > and it is way out of my budget.....
          > >
          > > On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM, grumpy grady <grumpygrady@...
          > > <mailto:grumpygrady%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
          > >

          > > > if you can, make different sizes of bases for the chisels ie a 1" square
          > > > one ,2" square one a round one , an oblong one, and one big one
          > > > they all will come in handy now and then
          > > > i made mine so a pin holds the base on the chisel and i pull a pin and
          > > > change bases

          > > > ________________________________
          > > > From: John Hong <jphonger@... <mailto:jphonger%40gmail.com>
          > > <jphonger%40gmail.com>>

        • jphonger
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 2 8:59 AM
            Hi Howard,
            I in no way am implying that there is any problem with BCS. So far their service has been great. They are a super busy place, I am sure, and they promptly shipped my order and provided tracking info. When I got a batch of sand that wasn't working, I let them know, and while they did not reply to my message, they did send me tracking info for a replacement batch that shipped out yesterday. That is more than good enough for me. There are dozens of reasons why my batch of sand had no green strength, but the fact that they are quick to resolve the issue is more important to me than anything. Mistakes can happen, and I can tell they are the kind of place that takes care of their customers. It is true that there are other places that may be a less expensive source for the products that they carry, but the fact that they offer such products and great information is something I won't be taking for granted.

            Now that I have that out of the way... Rick, you mentioned that I don't need a muller, and thanks for the advice. I will probably build one anyway for future use, but I am glad to know that I won't need one right away, so I can use my time to do other things.

            This group has been very welcoming, and I am happy to be a part of it.
            Thanks!

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Sparber" <rgsparber@...> wrote:

            > Howard,
            >
            > Thanks for the history lesson.
            >
            > Except for that one bad experience, I have had good dealings with BCS. That
            > is where I bought my last two heating elements for my furnace. Couldn't find
            > them anywhere else.
            >
            > Rick

          • grumpy grady
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 2 9:21 AM
               i have seen lawn tractor rearends used and rototiller gearboxs used
              even a washing machine  but the best was a cement mixer with bowling balls thrown in

              ________________________________

              On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM, grumpy grady <grumpygrady@...> wrote:

              > if you can, make different sizes of bases for the chisels ie a 1" square
              > one ,2" square one a round one , an oblong one, and one big one
              > they all will come in handy now and then
              > i made mine so a pin holds the base on the chisel and i pull a pin and
              > change bases

              > ________________________________

            • Rick Sparber
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 2 11:22 AM
                JP,

                Although I don't own a muller, I do have to take the burnt chunks of
                petrobond and riddle them back into the unburned petrobond. This does weaken
                it slightly and that is why, after all that time, I did need to mull it
                again. If you do decide to mull your petrobond after each use, be careful
                not to add much oil or you will have a mess on your hands.

                Rick

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 15 6:51 PM
                  Rick:

                  Thanks for the tip!

                  I bought an air chisel from Harbour Freight last week and made an adapter that will clamp on to one of the tools. The ramming plate is screwed onto the end of the adapter with a 1/2-13 thread so it can be changed.

                  Tried it out the other day, works great! Does a much better job of packing sand around the pattern than a hand type ram.

                  Great Idea for $12.99 (I had a 20% off coupon and I got a free flashlight too :)

                  Bob