Re: [hobbicast] Stamp -- In aluminum... Hardened.

  • Joseph Feldmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18, 2010
      Hey there, C.-
         Lurking on a couple of knife lists, & reading from the 2 big knife mags. (Blade & Knives Illustrated), they talk up the soaking molten salt baths pretty well. These guys are a combination of pros & fairly serious amatuers, but not many backyard hobbyists can afford to invest in them. Certainly I don't expect to have access to such a set-up any time in the foreseeable future. When I need a tool hardened, I resort to steel, & heat treat & quench as needed. detailed stamps can be engraved or etched from steel without unreasonable effort. A stamp made to strike a maker's mark into a blade blank while the blade is still in soft state is not uncommon. I doubt you could produce enough wear on one on leather to blur the details in 1/2 a lifetime.
       Yvan Wolvesbane
      Pacifist ...with occasional lapses.