Re: [hobbicast] Family Crest Stamp

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 14 12:26 AM
      On Apr 13, 2010, at 5:33 PM, Pierre Coueffin wrote:

      > Jeshua, if I understand you correctly, you are suggesting taking a
      > hand (or dremel...) carved chunk of graphite, pouring something that
      > resembles a thermite compound over it and lighting it up? Should cast
      > an iron block that is a negative of the mold, then I suppose you'd
      > just break off the mold with a hammer.

      Indeed. Either hand carve the graphite, or with a CNC machine.

      Although, if you design the mold right, no need to break it with a hammer, you can make many many castings from it...

      > Have you tried iron using similar techniques already? I keep looking
      > at it as an option, but I have no idea how thick of a block of
      > graphite I'd want to contain the thermal shock involved. Going from
      > room temperature to molten iron in 5 seconds or so makes me worry
      > about shattering the mold, and letting the hot stuff out prematurely.

      Yes - I have successfully done quite a number of castings with this method.

      The graphite only needs sufficient thickness to hold the weight of the metal. I usually just start with an oversize block and mill it out. For small castings, I think you would want a minimum of 1/8" thick - and I think 1/4" would be better.

      My favorite thermite mix is 2.5-parts iron oxide, 0.5-part titanium dioxide and 1 part aluminum powder...

      This will result in beautiful stainless ferro-titaniumn (about 20% titanium 80% iron)...

      Cheers,

      Jeshua Lacock, Owner
      <http://OpenOSX.com>
      phone: 208.462.4171
    • jeff moore
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 14 1:02 AM
        Is that mix by wt. or volume?

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 14 1:27 AM
          On Apr 14, 2010, at 2:02 AM, jeff moore wrote:

          > Is that mix by wt. or volume?

          By weight.

          Cheers,

          Jeshua Lacock, Owner
          <http://OpenOSX.com>
          phone: 208.462.4171
        • Todd
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 14 5:30 AM
            Graphite is electrically conductive.
            Could you just arc-weld into the mold?
            Or even torch-braze?
            Todd

            Jeshua, if I understand you correctly, you are suggesting taking a
            hand (or dremel...) carved chunk of graphite, pouring something that
            resembles a thermite compound over it and lighting it up? Should cast
            an iron block that is a negative of the mold, then I suppose you'd
            just break off the mold with a hammer.

            I'm very interested in this process. I've been playing with a few
            commercial cadweld units that were given to me by a guy who thought
            I'd find them interesting... They cast a copper alloy (probably a
            brass or bronze, but I'm not exactly sure of the composition) using a
            thin porcelain mold. The ceramic is less than 1/8" thick and seems to
            hold several ounces of hellfire long enough to bond everything
            solidly.

            On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@openosx.
            <mailto:jeshua%40openosx.com> com> wrote:
            > If you have a graphite mold you could even cast it yourself using an
            aluminothermic reaction. You could cast it out of stainless steel or
            ferotitanium (which is also stainless).

          • Nick Andrews
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 14 7:06 AM
              We used cadwelds to bond wire to ground rods in fiber manholes. They did
              seem to work better and make a cleaner bond if we preheated them with a
              torch. These molds are big blocks of graphite which clamp around the part
              to weld to.

              --
              Nick A

              "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
              single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

              deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
              of Pennsylvania, 1759

              "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the
              streets after them." Bill Vaughan

              "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
              Plato

            • The Loewen's
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 14 11:50 AM
                Home Foundrymen's discussion forum on home metal castingIt is also possible if you have a CAD drawing of your crest to have it wax part printed and have a stainless steel (or any metal) pattern investement casted. There are numerous places that offer this.

                Kent
                MB,Canada

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 14 12:00 PM
                  On Apr 14, 2010, at 8:06 AM, Nick Andrews wrote:

                  > We used cadwelds to bond wire to ground rods in fiber manholes. They did
                  > seem to work better and make a cleaner bond if we preheated them with a
                  > torch. These molds are big blocks of graphite which clamp around the part
                  > to weld to.

                  The iron-oxide alumnothermic reaction produces 3,000F molten iron which is well above the melting temperature of cast iron.

                  And in fact, there is much heat to spare. The iron typically stays fluid for a long time which allows the graphite to be plenty hot before the iron has any chance to solidify.

                  Cheers,

                  Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                  <http://OpenOSX.com>
                  phone: 208.462.4171
                • Nick Andrews
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 14 12:20 PM
                    I think what the torch was doing for us was driving moisture out of the
                    molds.

                    --
                    Nick A

                    "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
                    single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

                    deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
                    of Pennsylvania, 1759

                    "Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the
                    streets after them." Bill Vaughan

                    "The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
                    Plato

                  • Walt
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 5, 2010
                      I ran across this outfit and emailed the guy that was looking for a stamp, but thought others may be interested in where to maybe get one done

                      http://www.incandescent-iron.com/custom-touchmark-tools.html

                      Walt