Re: [hobbicast] Re: Plaques

    Message 1 of 57 , Feb 28, 2010
      On Feb 28, 2010, at 8:47 AM, Dave wrote:

      > What kind of copy machines do you get these motors from? Are they from the huge industrial type, or the little home office types?

      Hi Dave,

      I am not sure the source of Ron's motors, however, old floppy drives, old hard drives (typically less than 40MB), old printers (HP Laserjet III has nice powerful ones), old dvd/cd burners (for the optical sensor) use stepper motors.

      Of course, you can also find them on eBay (search for stepper motor) or surplus stores such as Electronic Goldmine, Alltronics, and H&R surplus, Electronic Peasant has small, medium and large steppers for about $15 each:

      http://www.electronicpeasant.com/tpost/motors.html

      On eBay, you might be able to get a set of 3 or 4 stepper motors for $20. Hard to beat that even by salvaging...

      The more torque, the larger the required driver and the more expensive things get.

      Hope this helps...

      Cheers,

      Jeshua Lacock, Owner
      <http://OpenOSX.com>
      phone: 208.462.4171
    • Ron Thompson
      Message 57 of 57 , Apr 10, 2010
        I think the only practical option is to cnc route the pattern. Find a
        sign shop to do it for you and get a quote. Ask for the cheapest
        material that will make a good sand pattern, such as MDF.
        Please let us know your final outcome.

        --

        Ron Thompson Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
        On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space

        Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

        Want to have some fun? The next time you're at McDonald's, wait until
        the kid has your change ready and then say "Wait, I've got the two cents."
        -Ron Thompson