flasks

  • Bwardwelliii@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
      Does anyone have a source for quality used extruded aluminum flasks?
      I have heard that they are hard to come by. I am looking for at
      least twenty ranging from 12x12 to 18x24 all in 4 over 4.
    • Jim Clary
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
        No one makes extruded aluminum flasks that I know of. They are made of
        welded steel, cast magnesium, cast aluminum or cherry wood. Do a search on
        the net for foundry flasks and you will come up with sources.

        Jim Clary

        http://members.nbci.com/HWilkinson/
        > It includes member project pages & links

      • todd goff
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
          Does anyone know where you can get some used pop off flasks from that
          would be reasonably priced? A few years back you could get them from
          equipment brokers for about 75 to 100 bucks. Now, if you find them on
          e-bay they go for right at 200 bucks and brokers can't get any of them
          unless they come out of Canada (then shipping eats you alive.) If
          anybody has any ideas please let me know.
        • Rick Rowlands
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
            They were always too expensive for me so I used mainly stel or aluminum flasks. I do have some wooden Adams pop off flasks but no jackets which I used occasionally.

            Rick

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
              On Jan 2, 2007, at 7:53 PM, todd goff wrote:

              > Does anyone know where you can get some used pop off flasks from that
              > would be reasonably priced? A few years back you could get them from
              > equipment brokers for about 75 to 100 bucks. Now, if you find them on
              > e-bay they go for right at 200 bucks and brokers can't get any of them
              > unless they come out of Canada (then shipping eats you alive.) If
              > anybody has any ideas please let me know.

              Todd,

              You probably thought of it already - but this is a fun, easy and very
              rewarding lost foam project...

              You can cast your lost foam flask free (just bury it in dry sand)....

              Cheers,

              Jeshua Lacock, Owner
              <http://OpenOSX.com>
              phone: 877.240.1364
            • rchilso@netscape.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
                just becaues i'm an ameture at this and my only experience is at home. (trial and error) what r pop off flasks.

                On Jan 2, 2007, at 7:53 PM, todd goff wrote:

                > Does anyone know where you can get some used pop off flasks from that
                > would be reasonably priced? A few years back you could get them from
                > equipment brokers for about 75 to 100 bucks. Now, if you find them on
                > e-bay they go for right at 200 bucks and brokers can't get any of them
                > unless they come out of Canada (then shipping eats you alive.) If
                > anybody has any ideas please let me know.

                Todd,

                You probably thought of it already - but this is a fun, easy and very
                rewarding lost foam project...

                You can cast your lost foam flask free (just bury it in dry sand)....

                Cheers,

                Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                <http://OpenOSX.com>
                phone: 877.240.1364

                this list does not accept attachments.

                check out these two affiliated sites:

                List Owner:

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
                  I believe these are called snap flasks too...they have a hinge on
                  the one corner and snaps on the other corner so that the flask can
                  be removed and used to ram as many molds as you need. Sometimes
                  there are sleeves used to make sure the sand stays in place for the
                  pour.

                  I am just doing this from memory though (from reading) so correct me
                  if I am wrong.

                  Dave Drescher

                  --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, rchilso@... wrote:

                  > just becaues i'm an ameture at this and my only experience is at
                  home. (trial and error) what r pop off flasks.

                • Mary Long
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
                    I might have a line on some of these flasks. What size is needed?

                    I believe these are called snap flasks too...they have a hinge on
                    the one corner and snaps on the other corner so that the flask can
                    be removed and used to ram as many molds as you need. Sometimes
                    there are sleeves used to make sure the sand stays in place for the
                    pour.

                    I am just doing this from memory though (from reading) so correct me
                    if I am wrong.

                    Dave Drescher

                    --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, rchilso@... wrote:

                    > just becaues i'm an ameture at this and my only experience is at
                    home. (trial and error) what r pop off flasks.

                  • todd goff
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
                      The sizes I need are 12x12,10x16 and 10x18. Also, the snap flasks are
                      hinged and they break apart when you release a latch whereas pop off
                      flasks are spring loaded and release from the mold when the latches are
                      disengaged (they are both very similar.) If you have a line on these
                      please e-mail me and let me know. I talked to a friend of mine a while
                      back and sad to say he had scrapped a whole truckload of the aluminum
                      pop off flasks. Just let me know.

                      Thanks, Todd
                    • Lyle
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 5, 2007
                        When you can find them used, they usually go for big bucks and when you
                        buy them new from Hines or Freemont, they really go for big bucks. You
                        could build a decent furnace and muller for what one flask sells for
                        new. And the cheaper flasks like MIFCO or BCS has are junk. Better off
                        building your own either from wood or casting your own aluminum ones.
                        LL