Re: [hobbicast] Plaques

  • STEVEN SQUIER
    Message 1 of 57 , Feb 19, 2010
      This is an interesting new concept to me that I wouldn't mind trying.  Any suggestions as to what type of material is the best for covering the wood that will be easy to work with yet resistant to the abrasion?  Having very little blasting experience (I do have a spot sand blaster) I immagine that tape or wood glue would be blasted off just as easily as the uncovered wood.  Is there a special type of tape or glue?  Perhaps the ready cut letters (the sticker type) that are made of a foil type material?

      Krauss

      From: ronstrand66 <ronstrand66@ yahoo.com>
      Subject: [hobbicast] Plaques
      To: hobbicast@yahoogrou ps.com
      Date: Friday, February 19, 2010, 9:29 AM

      I appreciate all the replys I have gotten about how to make plaques, but one thing I forgot to mention. Many of the plaques we need have over 4 to 5 THOUSAND letters on them. Doing them by hand with a knife etc is out of the question. That is the main reason I need to find an effective means of doing them. By example, one plaque is 2 feet by 3 feet and will be completely covered in letters a half inch high. I am going to be able to use some of the suggestions for smaller plaques though.

      Thanks again

      Ron

    • Ron Thompson
      Message 57 of 57 , Apr 10, 2010
        I think the only practical option is to cnc route the pattern. Find a
        sign shop to do it for you and get a quote. Ask for the cheapest
        material that will make a good sand pattern, such as MDF.
        Please let us know your final outcome.

        --

        Ron Thompson Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
        On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space

        Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

        Want to have some fun? The next time you're at McDonald's, wait until
        the kid has your change ready and then say "Wait, I've got the two cents."
        -Ron Thompson