Re: [hobbicast] new casting foam (at least to me)

  • David Patterson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
      Rupert, look for a water heater insulation base. It's about 24" in diameter 2" thick. It looks to be the same stuff. I've used it, machines good, still has the same look as the rest of the bead type of foams, just smaller beads. Reading the specs, if you pour it into a mold you need to have a steam chest to heat/steam the beads to get them to expand. you also have a 3 month shelf life.

      Dave Patterson
      odd_kins@...
      http://home.comcast.net/~oddkins/foundry_home.html

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
        Hello Brian,
        There is a link for free samples on the web site. Other than that, I
        have no idea where to get it yet.

        Rupert

        Brian Fairey wrote:
        > Rupert wrote:
        >> Hello Guys,
        >> Has anyone tried out this foam for making castings?
        >> <http://www.jsp.com/eu/home/products/CLEARPOR_Casting_Foam.php> Sounds
        >> like it should be a good foam to use according to the literature.
        >>
        >> Rupert
        >>
        > but where do you buy it?
        > Brian.

        > List Owner:

        yvt

        Rupert Wenig
        Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

        email: rwenig2@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
          Hello David,
          Which type of water heater has the foam- gas or electric? The 3 month
          shelf live is a bummer.
          Guess I better read the specs again. I thought they were talking about
          using smaller beads to make sheets for customers. Having to make a mold
          first to make a pattern would not be of any advantage for me.

          Rupert

          --

          yvt

          Rupert Wenig
          Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

          email: rwenig2@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2010
            Rupert, it's just a pad to go under the water heater. I no longer have the brand name, when I get to the hardware store I'll write it down. it's probably the same as the 2lb or 3lb foam found here.
            http://www.closedcellfoams.com/polystyrene.html