newbie needs advise and direction

  • Sue F
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2009
      I am attempting to cast some small metal parts. they would be appx 1" x
      1" have a small bezel edge and a loop at top. Kindof like a tray but
      for a pendant. I did post a pic of a polymer clay model of what I am
      talking about here: www.crafterscafe.com/images/sample_bezel.jpg
      <http://www.crafterscafe.com/images/sample_bezel.jpg>
      Please not this it not to quality standards I just wanted to give a
      visual.

      I started looking for a foundry to cast these for me but no luck - even
      in Maryland. So I started looking into doing this myself. I am an
      artist so this isn't a far stretch. However, I am getting all kinds of
      info from a variety of sources.

      One tells me to green sand cast and another says to use a spincast
      setup. I would need production quantities (200 of 5 styles to start) so
      if my research is going well I am thinking the spincast is what I need.

      Next step would be what equipment would I need, need being the important
      word here, I can always get something with bells and whistles in the
      future if all works out.

      Problem is I am not familiar with brands, quality, who to stay away
      from, etc...

      Any recommendations would be appreciated here.

      sue.