Grained silicon bronze photos

  • scobeyguy
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
      Hi All,

      A while back there was a thread on the list about "graining"(also called shot)metal by pouring it into cold water. I usually use the graining process to make very small grains of precious metal for ease in weighing when mixing alloys. I have been doing some bronze casting lately and was using a very small crucible. It was a real pain in the ass to cut the huge ingot up into small pieces to fit in the crucible, so I decided to grain some of it. The cooling vessel is a very thick walled S.S. vessel 14" tall by 6" I.D. I poured it from a distance of about six inches above the water. If I had wanted smaller grains, I would have poured from a greater height and poured much slower, but in this case, I didn't care. I have added two photos of the result, to my photo album (Garys' foundry pics). let me see if the link works:note the penny for size comparison

      Incidentally, I have not uploaded any photos for about five years. I found that I could not upload to my original album. I had to create a new album with the same name. I vaguely recall something a long time ago about some changes to Yahoo. Can I easily combine these two albums so that I still have control of the photos and can add and remove?

      Gary
    • Stone Tool
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
        Excellent.... the grained stuff obviously would make it far easier to
        put the amount needed for a pour into a crucible..... great idea!!

        Howard

        scobeyguy wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > A while back there was a thread on the list about "graining"(also called shot)metal by pouring it into cold water. I usually use the graining process to make very small grains of precious metal for ease in weighing when mixing alloys. I have been doing some bronze casting lately and was using a very small crucible. It was a real pain in the ass to cut the huge ingot up into small pieces to fit in the crucible, so I decided to grain some of it. The cooling vessel is a very thick walled S.S. vessel 14" tall by 6" I.D. I poured it from a distance of about six inches above the water. If I had wanted smaller grains, I would have poured from a greater height and poured much slower, but in this case, I didn't care. I have added two photos of the result, to my photo album (Garys' foundry pics). let me see if the link works:note the penny for size comparison

        > Incidentally, I have not uploaded any photos for about five years. I found that I could not upload to my original album. I had to create a new album with the same name. I vaguely recall something a long time ago about some changes to Yahoo. Can I easily combine these two albums so that I still have control of the photos and can add and remove?
        >
        > Gary

        > List Owner:

      • Rupert
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2009
          Hello Gary,
          Nice work on the graining.

          I think you should be able to edit your own files. I just did a quick
          check and settings seem ok. Try again and let me know if you still are
          having trouble. Maybe I can help as a moderator. Just let me know what
          you want to do.

          Rupert

          --

          yvt

          Rupert Wenig
          Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

          email: rwenig2@...

          http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
        • scobeyguy
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
            HI Rupert,

            Thanks for the offer of help. I have two albums, both named, "Garys' foundry pics. The original one contains 13 photos and was last modified in 2004. The second one contains two photos and is just one day old. When I bring up the newest one, I see the following: In the far upper right, I see these options: Add Photo, Create Album, and rearrange photos. A little lower on the page I have these options: Edit, Move, Copy, and Delete. The file names are complete

            The old original album has 13 photos and was last modified in 2004. The titles of the photos are okay, and I can view all photos. However---None of the options for manipulating the photos are present. Curiously, for each photo, under File Name, they are all marked, "N/A"

            I would like to have just one album, with 15 files, and the capability to manipulate all photos in that album. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

            Gary

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rwenig2@...> wrote:

            > Hello Gary,
            > Nice work on the graining.
            >
            > I think you should be able to edit your own files. I just did a quick
            > check and settings seem ok. Try again and let me know if you still are
            > having trouble. Maybe I can help as a moderator. Just let me know what
            > you want to do.
            >
            > Rupert
            >
            > scobeyguy wrote:
            > > Incidentally, I have not uploaded any photos for about five years. I
            > > found that I could not upload to my original album. I had to create
            > > a new album with the same name. I vaguely recall something a long
            > > time ago about some changes to Yahoo. Can I easily combine these two
            > > albums so that I still have control of the photos and can add and
            > > remove?
            > >
            > > Gary
            > >

            > --
            >
            > yvt
            >
            > Rupert Wenig
            > Camrose, Alberta, Canada.
            >
            > email: rwenig2@...
            >
            > http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/

          • Lee B
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
              Download them from the one and upload them into the other. Ignore the old one - simple.

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
                Hello Gary,
                I moved all the pics into your new folder. See if you can manipulate
                the files now. I kept a copy of the pics just in case. You or I can
                close the old folder when everything is working right.

                Rupert

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
                  Hi Rupert,

                  What a guy! Thanks. The new album looks fine. I still have no options available on the old file, so could you please delete the old file, (the empty one)? Thanks again for the help.

                  Gary

                  --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rwenig2@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Gary,
                  > I moved all the pics into your new folder. See if you can manipulate
                  > the files now. I kept a copy of the pics just in case. You or I can
                  > close the old folder when everything is working right.
                  >
                  > Rupert
                • Rupert
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
                    Hello Gary,
                    The file name N/A still concerns me. Have you tried manipulating any of
                    the pics with the filename N/A? Thje old folder is gone.

                    Rupert

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
                      Hi Lee,
                      You don't seem to understand. On the old album I have ZERO control, no edit, no move, no delete, no add---nothing. Also had no file names. No possible way to download them. Not so simple!

                      Gary

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 2, 2009
                        On Dec 2, 2009, at 12:12 PM, scobeyguy wrote:

                        > You don't seem to understand. On the old album I have ZERO control,
                        > no edit, no move, no delete, no add---nothing. Also had no file
                        > names. No possible way to download them. Not so simple!

                        Uhhhhh - yea actually it is that simple - if you can view them you
                        could download them (hint: save link to disk).

                        The rest of your dilemma would be solved by ignoring the old album per
                        Rupert's suggestion.

                        Cheers,

                        Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                        <http://OpenOSX.com>