Re: [hobbicast] Materials needed for a Ceramic Crucible

  • CaptonZap@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2009
      In a message dated 11/6/2009 2:03:09 PM Mountain Standard Time,
      dmnelson88@... writes:

      My friends and I want to try melting steel in our furnace, but we need a
      crucible that can withstand the heat. We are going to have my aunt use her
      kiln and attempt to make one for us.

      We have the fireclay, we just need to know what else is required to make
      the crucible. Suggested materials would be appreciated.

      One of the problems you will face is that at the temperatures that steel
      melts, most refractories lose strength, and lose the charge out the bottom.
      If you study the characteristics of refractories, you find that they have a
      heat transmission value, depending on what and how they are made. The trick
      is to get a crucible lining that will stand up to the temperatures, and
      surround it with an insulating refractory that slows down the heat transfer
      through it, and encase it in a steel outer cover that will dissipate the heat
      that does get through, and will maintain its strength while at the
      temperature that that results at the outer cover.
      This requires heat application to the inside of the melt, as in a copula or
      electric arc furnace.
      So I don't think a home fired crucible will do what you want.
      I could be wrong, so if you do get it to work, there are a number of people
      on this board that would like to hear about it. Let us know how it turns
      out. CZ

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2009
        On Nov 6, 2009, at 7:44 PM, scobeyguy wrote:

        > I am an avid do-it-yourselfer, and I really don't care for the self
        > appointed safety nannies who cry , "danger" about every little
        > thing. Trust me, this is no , "little thing". I hope you reconsider.

        In case any of you are wondering what the difference between "self
        appointed safety nannies" and sensible safety suggestions might be;
        any safety suggestions that I make (such as a noob casting steel or
        danger of breathing zinc fumes) qualify as "crying danger" , whereas
        Gary suggestions clearly do not.

        Just thought I would clear that up.

        Cheers,

        Jeshua Lacock, Owner