casting iron

  • kirkbecnel
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
      I am building the jeweler's foundry in Michael Porter's book. I will line it as he recommends with the perlite mix and for the other ingredient I have Mizzou Plus. I also have the coating recommended on top of that. I also am almost done with the 3/4 inch burner to fire it. I would like to melt some cast iron in it. Will this setup be capable of it? If so, what type of crucible would I need?

      Thanks
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
        For cast iron, most people use a silicon
        carbide crucible. Your burner should do it I would think...it takes a long time though...from what I hear...here is a link to a picture of my attempt...melted my (clay) crucible!
        http://metalshop.homestead.com/Lockrepair.html

        Dave D