Re: [hobbicast] Re: Difficulty Finding Material

  • Todd Greenwood-Geer
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
      I'm building a propane foundry, about the size of a gingery charcoal
      foundry, and I'm wondering what size regulator to purchase.

      Here are some regulators:

      http://www.protanksupply.com/regulators.asp

      They are rated as to the BTU output... for a foundry about the size of a
      5 gal metal bucket that's going to hold a 5"x5" steel pipe crucible,
      what do you suggest?

      Here's the list from the link.

      -Todd

      http://www.protanksupply.com/regulators.asp
      Propane Regulator 100,000 btu Economy Regulator

      Inexpensive, small capacity, low pressure regulator for use on grills
      and small portable heaters. ...
      (click for more)
      Our Price: $13.28

      Propane Regulator 160,000 BTU Horizontal Propane Regulator

      Small integral 2 stage regulator with 9 o'clock vent for vertical
      installations. 2 stage regulation ...
      (click for more)
      Our Price: $25.86

      Propane Regulator 160,000 btu Integral Regulator

      Small integral 2 stage regulator with 6 o'clock vent for vertical
      installations. Meets requirements ...
      (click for more)
      Our Price: $20.69

      Propane Regulator 250,000 btu Integral Regulator

      Smaller integral two-stage regulator for RV and mobile home service. The
      second stage is adjustable ...
      (click for more)
      Our Price: $46.82

      Propane Regulator 275,000 btu Weed Burner / Turkey Fryer Regulator

      Small replacement propane regulator for weed burners, turkey fryers,
      fish fryers, and some camping ...
      (click for more)
      Our Price: $16.22

      Propane Regulator 500,000 btu Integral Regulator

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
        On Sep 10, 2009, at 8:48 AM, jer29_11_13 wrote:

        > Jeshua I must be missing something or you have deeper pockets than me.
        >
        > For example the HighTempInc vendor on ebay that you referenced sells
        > the ceramic fiber blanket for $55 but shipping is $49.55 which to me
        > is outrageous. And their other products are equally priced and high.

        Personally, I think if you were prepared to throw down $500 on that
        kit, then 50 square feet of fiber blanket for $100 is a far better deal.

        Grant it, it is much more material than you need, but, my point is you
        can still come out ahead. If you just add a bag of refractory and that
        blanket with a metal shell you already have, I think you would have a
        better furnace for less money (and almost a full roll of fiber blanket
        leftover - bet you could sell the remainder on ebay to get back most
        of the cost).

        If you don't want that much blanket (again I think it comes in handy
        and I have always used up the roll even though I didn't think I needed
        it when I ordered it), there are places that sell it by the foot on
        eBay, and local pottery stores. But I suspect if you do the math, it
        is worth it for the whole roll...

        Best,

        Jeshua Lacock, Owner
        <http://OpenOSX.com>
        phone: 208.462.4171
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
          On Sep 10, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Todd Greenwood-Geer wrote:

          > They happen to carry a brand of fiberblanket (not cheap tho, $21/ft
          > incl. shipping):
          >
          > http://budgetcastingsupply.com/FiberFrax.php

          I really like BCS (have ordered gloves and crucibles from them in the
          past) but $21 a foot is outrageous to me. At that price they are
          charging $525 a roll which about $100 (at wholesale even less).

          For the cost of 5 feet you can buy a whole 25 foot roll on eBay
          (shipped).

          Best,

          Jeshua Lacock, Owner
          <http://OpenOSX.com>
          phone: 208.462.4171
        • jer29_11_13
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
            Todd here are two other sites but maybe a little pricey.

            http://www.tejassmokers.com/gasregulators.htm

            http://www.cajunshoppe.com/combo.htm

            Fred

          • jbrennan3@austin.rr.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
              that ceramic supply place may have ALL your materials. I would have suggested you look there if I knew they were there.
              Check the laguna ceramics catalog for #90 oklahoma sand or # 70 ottawa (Illinois sand) I have been using a graded oklahoma sand and bentonite from local ceramics supply house. It has been a long time since I bought some ceramic blanket. the last time I looked the price had doubled but it was very much less than you say.

              jesse
              ---- Ron Thompson <barebooger@...> wrote:
              > To the original poster:
              > That place in Oviedo has fiber blanket on their web site. If you are
              > driving over, might as well check it out.
              > Not that it helps you, bur I drive through Oviedo on my way to work.<GRIN>
              >
              > Todd Greenwood-Geer wrote:
              > >

              > > I have not used them, but many folks have recommended BCS:
              > >
              > > http://budgetcastingsupply.com/ <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/>
              > >
              > > They happen to carry a brand of fiberblanket (not cheap tho, $21/ft
              > > incl. shipping):
              > >
              > > http://budgetcastingsupply.com/FiberFrax.php
              > > <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/FiberFrax.php>
              > >
              > > -Todd
              > >
              > > jer29_11_13 wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Jeshua I must be missing something or you have deeper pockets than me.
              > > >
              > > > For example the HighTempInc vendor on ebay that you referenced sells the
              > > > ceramic fiber blanket for $55 but shipping is $49.55 which to me is
              > > > outrageous. And their other products are equally priced and high.
              > > >
              > > > Am I missing something here?
              > > >
              > > > Fred
              > > >

              > --
              >

              > Ron Thompson
              > Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
              > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast,
              > right beside the Kennedy Space Center,
              > USA
              >
              > http://www.plansandprojects.com
              > My hobby pages are here:
              > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
              >
              > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
              > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/
              >
              > Add yourself to the member map here:
              > http://www.frappr.com/castinghobby
              >
              > Want to have some fun? The next time you're at McDonald's, wait until
              > the kid has your change ready and then say "Wait, I've got the two cents."
              > -Ron Thompson
            • tjwal
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 11, 2009
                Todd
                You need an adjustable regulator. 150000+ BTUs.
                The pressure range depends on your burner. One that goes up to 30 psi would be more than adequate. After my first experience burning through a metal crucible I seldom go above 5 psi.

                JohnW

                But that is dependent on the burner--- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Todd Greenwood-Geer <t.greenwoodgeer@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > have found is about $25.

                > > <http://OpenOSX.com>>>
                > > > >

                > > > --
                > > >

                > > > Ron Thompson
                > > > Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
                > > > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast,
                > > > right beside the Kennedy Space Center,
                > > > USA
                > > >
                > > > http://www.plansandprojects.com <http://www.plansandprojects.com>
                > > > My hobby pages are here:
                > > > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
                > > <http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/>
                > > >
                > > > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                > > > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/
                > > <http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/>
                > > >
                > > > Add yourself to the member map here:
                > > > http://www.frappr.com/castinghobby <http://www.frappr.com/castinghobby>
                > > >
                > > > Want to have some fun? The next time you're at McDonald's, wait until
                > > > the kid has your change ready and then say "Wait, I've got the two

              • Carl
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 11, 2009
                  http://www.anvilfire.com/sales/   Anvilfire sells 1 inch Kaowool for $7.95 per foot. It is 2 feet wide so that is less than $4 sq/ft. I assume they are fair on the shipping but check first. There is some useful info on their fourm about building a forge which also applies to furnaces. Carl