Re: [hobbicast] Difficulty Finding Material

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 9, 2009
      On Sep 9, 2009, at 8:02 PM, STEVEN SQUIER wrote:

      > I value your emails, and am sorry to have gotten you involved in a
      > verbal confrontation with one of my earlier posts.

      That is quite alright - seems like somehow it is impossible for me to
      invoke some kind of confrontation on this list.

      :)

      > Can you share with me how to make this foundary that you are
      > talking about? Do you have plans or online resources you wouldn't
      > mind sharing with me?

      I would recommend searching the archives - this has been discussed
      many times on this list.

      Basically, you just need a metal shell (sheet metal rolled and
      riveted, or a can of some time, or a canister, or a barrel), and some
      fiber blanket to make really nice furnace. I then take it one
      (optional) step further and cast a layer of refractory.

      So the shell is like (overhead mid section)

      |#X_$$$$_X#|

      | = metal shell
      # = fiber blanket
      X = refractory
      $ = crucible

      Note that you can make a decent furnace with just refractory or just
      fiber blanket. I prefer the combination because the refractory will
      take much more abuse than the blanket, and the blanket provides
      superior insulation. The shell is to keep it all in one piece.

      There are various recipes for home made refractory (and insulation
      such as perlite), but I think that is one thing worth buying (well
      that and the blanket). Just about everything else you can salvage. I
      bought 100 pounds of 3200F refractory for $30. Local pottery stores
      sell fiber blanket by the foot - but you might find better pricing on
      ebay.

      There is a lot of information out there - if you have any questions
      please feel free to ask!

      Best,

      Jeshua Lacock, Owner
      <http://OpenOSX.com>
      phone: 208.462.4171
    • jer29_11_13
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 9, 2009
        I totally agree Jeshua I have nearly everything but the materials I mentioned. I have several empty well tanks that can/will be used for my furnace if I can only get the materials I mentioned in my post.

        As a last resort I can make up some homemade refractory but from what I've read it's best to get the commercial stuff. I can't even find fireclay. The bentonite is available but can't find 125 mesh sand everything is very course.

        The only reason I mentioned the foundry101 is it's done and I wouldn't have to drive 6-8 hours plus the time to build. I have a complete wood shop, machine shop and welders so building is not the issue.

        But thanks for looking at the site.

        Fred

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Jeshua Lacock <jeshua@...> wrote:

        > On Sep 9, 2009, at 6:50 PM, jer29_11_13 wrote:
        >
        > > Anyone familiar with http://www.foundry101.com/search.htm?
        > >
        > > They sell a large turnkey foundry setup for $440 plus s/h
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance for any assistance.
        >
        > Depends on your definition of large, but I personally would call a 7lb
        > furnace pretty small. Note that 7lb crucible could safely only hold
        > about 5lbs.
        >
        > The burner they are selling is $5 in plumbing parts with a $10
        > regulator.
        >
        > You could probably make something similar as the complete setup for
        > less than $50. Time is money, but I think it is more rewarding to make
        > it yourself, and you will learn much along the way.
        >
        > Just my 2¢...
        >

        > Best,
        >
        > Jeshua Lacock, Owner
        > <http://OpenOSX.com>
        > phone: 208.462.4171

      • jer29_11_13
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 9, 2009
          Thank you very much Stephen, I call them tomorrow morning.

          Fred

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 9, 2009
            On Sep 9, 2009, at 10:08 PM, jer29_11_13 wrote:

            > I totally agree Jeshua I have nearly everything but the materials I
            > mentioned. I have several empty well tanks that can/will be used for
            > my furnace if I can only get the materials I mentioned in my post.
            >
            > As a last resort I can make up some homemade refractory but from
            > what I've read it's best to get the commercial stuff. I can't even
            > find fireclay. The bentonite is available but can't find 125 mesh
            > sand everything is very course.
            >
            > The only reason I mentioned the foundry101 is it's done and I
            > wouldn't have to drive 6-8 hours plus the time to build. I have a
            > complete wood shop, machine shop and welders so building is not the
            > issue.
            >
            > But thanks for looking at the site.

            I can assure you that it is possible to order refractory and fiber
            blanket for less than what that kit costs - even with the additional
            money for shipping. And it will come to your door - no need to drive
            any where!

            I have used and am very happy with Sparcast refractory:

            http://www.sparref.com/

            I think I got their "SPARCAST 90" formula (3200F).

            Call them to find a distributor or order direct.

            Here is 50 square feet of 2300F fiber blanket for $55 - enough to
            build several small furnaces. This stuff is absolutely amazing - it
            has endless uses in the foundry; I don't think it is possible to have
            too much of it! It can be used as a furnace by itself!

            http://tinyurl.com/mrlkvu

            If you buy rigidizer for it (available on eBay too), you can even make
            kiln shelfs with the material. You can cast metal onto it. You can
            make a lid with it. It is endless.

            Here is 30 pounds of green sand for $26.99 (only 8 bucks for shipping):

            http://tinyurl.com/nlf8tn

            If you look you can find everything you need!

            I have bought a ton of stuff from this eBay store - they have
            refractory, rigidizer, fiber blanket, hi temp bricks and mortar,
            ITC-100, and more! Oh boy!

            http://tinyurl.com/lytc6z

            Hope this helps...

            Cheers,

            Jeshua Lacock, Owner
            <http://OpenOSX.com>
            phone: 208.462.4171
          • Ron Thompson
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
              Your a better shopper than I am! The cheapest high pressure regulator
              have found is about $25.

              --

              Ron Thompson
              Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster

              http://www.plansandprojects.com
              My hobby pages are here:

              Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

              Add yourself to the member map here:
              http://www.frappr.com/castinghobby

              Want to have some fun? The next time you're at McDonald's, wait until
              the kid has your change ready and then say "Wait, I've got the two cents."
              -Ron Thompson
            • jer29_11_13
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
                Jeshua I must be missing something or you have deeper pockets than me.

                For example the HighTempInc vendor on ebay that you referenced sells the ceramic fiber blanket for $55 but shipping is $49.55 which to me is outrageous. And their other products are equally priced and high.

                Am I missing something here?

                Fred
              • Todd Greenwood-Geer
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
                  I have not used them, but many folks have recommended BCS:

                  http://budgetcastingsupply.com/

                  They happen to carry a brand of fiberblanket (not cheap tho, $21/ft
                  incl. shipping):

                  http://budgetcastingsupply.com/FiberFrax.php

                  -Todd

                • wbhinkle@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
                    YES..you are. they can't get the price for their product they want so they
                    jack up the shipping and handling...
                    bill hinkle
                    in Oklahoma

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
                      To the original poster:
                      That place in Oviedo has fiber blanket on their web site. If you are
                      driving over, might as well check it out.
                      Not that it helps you, bur I drive through Oviedo on my way to work.<GRIN>

                      --

                      Ron Thompson
                      Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
                      On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast,
                      right beside the Kennedy Space Center,
                      USA

                      http://www.plansandprojects.com
                      My hobby pages are here:

                      Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

                      Add yourself to the member map here:
                      http://www.frappr.com/castinghobby

                      Want to have some fun? The next time you're at McDonald's, wait until
                      the kid has your change ready and then say "Wait, I've got the two cents."
                      -Ron Thompson
                    • creepinogie
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
                        Go to TSC, they are way under $25.

                        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Ron Thompson <barebooger@...> wrote:

                        > Your a better shopper than I am! The cheapest high pressure regulator
                        > have found is about $25.
                        >
                        > Jeshua Lacock wrote:
                        > >

                        > > On Sep 9, 2009, at 7:28 PM, Ron Thompson wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > How long has it been since you bought a regulator?<GRIN>
                        > >
                        > > Ummmm - they sell pretty much that exact regulator at the local
                        > > hardware store for $10.
                        > >
                        > > Sure you can pay more, but that is a cheapo. Heck, I have even seen
                        > > them at the dump in the pile of discarded propane bottles.
                        > >
                        > > What is your point?
                        > >
                        > > Best,
                        > >
                        > > Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                        > > <http://OpenOSX.com <http://OpenOSX.com>>
                        > > phone: 208.462.4171
                        > >

                        > --
                        >

                        > Ron Thompson
                        > Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
                        > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast,
                        > right beside the Kennedy Space Center,
                        > USA
                        >
                        > http://www.plansandprojects.com
                        > My hobby pages are here:
                        > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
                        >
                        > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                        > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/
                        >
                        > Add yourself to the member map here:
                        > http://www.frappr.com/castinghobby
                        >
                        > Want to have some fun? The next time you're at McDonald's, wait until
                        > the kid has your change ready and then say "Wait, I've got the two cents."
                        > -Ron Thompson

                      • Todd Greenwood-Geer
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
                          I'm building a propane foundry, about the size of a gingery charcoal
                          foundry, and I'm wondering what size regulator to purchase.

                          Here are some regulators:

                          http://www.protanksupply.com/regulators.asp

                          They are rated as to the BTU output... for a foundry about the size of a
                          5 gal metal bucket that's going to hold a 5"x5" steel pipe crucible,
                          what do you suggest?

                          Here's the list from the link.

                          -Todd

                          http://www.protanksupply.com/regulators.asp
                          Propane Regulator 100,000 btu Economy Regulator

                          Inexpensive, small capacity, low pressure regulator for use on grills
                          and small portable heaters. ...
                          (click for more)
                          Our Price: $13.28

                          Propane Regulator 160,000 BTU Horizontal Propane Regulator

                          Small integral 2 stage regulator with 9 o'clock vent for vertical
                          installations. 2 stage regulation ...
                          (click for more)
                          Our Price: $25.86

                          Propane Regulator 160,000 btu Integral Regulator

                          Small integral 2 stage regulator with 6 o'clock vent for vertical
                          installations. Meets requirements ...
                          (click for more)
                          Our Price: $20.69

                          Propane Regulator 250,000 btu Integral Regulator

                          Smaller integral two-stage regulator for RV and mobile home service. The
                          second stage is adjustable ...
                          (click for more)
                          Our Price: $46.82

                          Propane Regulator 275,000 btu Weed Burner / Turkey Fryer Regulator

                          Small replacement propane regulator for weed burners, turkey fryers,
                          fish fryers, and some camping ...
                          (click for more)
                          Our Price: $16.22

                          Propane Regulator 500,000 btu Integral Regulator

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
                            On Sep 10, 2009, at 8:48 AM, jer29_11_13 wrote:

                            > Jeshua I must be missing something or you have deeper pockets than me.
                            >
                            > For example the HighTempInc vendor on ebay that you referenced sells
                            > the ceramic fiber blanket for $55 but shipping is $49.55 which to me
                            > is outrageous. And their other products are equally priced and high.

                            Personally, I think if you were prepared to throw down $500 on that
                            kit, then 50 square feet of fiber blanket for $100 is a far better deal.

                            Grant it, it is much more material than you need, but, my point is you
                            can still come out ahead. If you just add a bag of refractory and that
                            blanket with a metal shell you already have, I think you would have a
                            better furnace for less money (and almost a full roll of fiber blanket
                            leftover - bet you could sell the remainder on ebay to get back most
                            of the cost).

                            If you don't want that much blanket (again I think it comes in handy
                            and I have always used up the roll even though I didn't think I needed
                            it when I ordered it), there are places that sell it by the foot on
                            eBay, and local pottery stores. But I suspect if you do the math, it
                            is worth it for the whole roll...

                            Best,

                            Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                            <http://OpenOSX.com>
                            phone: 208.462.4171
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
                              On Sep 10, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Todd Greenwood-Geer wrote:

                              > They happen to carry a brand of fiberblanket (not cheap tho, $21/ft
                              > incl. shipping):
                              >
                              > http://budgetcastingsupply.com/FiberFrax.php

                              I really like BCS (have ordered gloves and crucibles from them in the
                              past) but $21 a foot is outrageous to me. At that price they are
                              charging $525 a roll which about $100 (at wholesale even less).

                              For the cost of 5 feet you can buy a whole 25 foot roll on eBay
                              (shipped).

                              Best,

                              Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                              <http://OpenOSX.com>
                              phone: 208.462.4171
                            • jer29_11_13
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
                                Todd here are two other sites but maybe a little pricey.

                                http://www.tejassmokers.com/gasregulators.htm

                                http://www.cajunshoppe.com/combo.htm

                                Fred

                              • jbrennan3@austin.rr.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 10, 2009
                                  that ceramic supply place may have ALL your materials. I would have suggested you look there if I knew they were there.
                                  Check the laguna ceramics catalog for #90 oklahoma sand or # 70 ottawa (Illinois sand) I have been using a graded oklahoma sand and bentonite from local ceramics supply house. It has been a long time since I bought some ceramic blanket. the last time I looked the price had doubled but it was very much less than you say.

                                  jesse
                                  ---- Ron Thompson <barebooger@...> wrote:
                                  > To the original poster:
                                  > That place in Oviedo has fiber blanket on their web site. If you are
                                  > driving over, might as well check it out.
                                  > Not that it helps you, bur I drive through Oviedo on my way to work.<GRIN>
                                  >
                                  > Todd Greenwood-Geer wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > I have not used them, but many folks have recommended BCS:
                                  > >
                                  > > http://budgetcastingsupply.com/ <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/>
                                  > >
                                  > > They happen to carry a brand of fiberblanket (not cheap tho, $21/ft
                                  > > incl. shipping):
                                  > >
                                  > > http://budgetcastingsupply.com/FiberFrax.php
                                  > > <http://budgetcastingsupply.com/FiberFrax.php>
                                  > >
                                  > > -Todd
                                  > >
                                  > > jer29_11_13 wrote:
                                  > > >

                                  > > > Jeshua I must be missing something or you have deeper pockets than me.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > For example the HighTempInc vendor on ebay that you referenced sells the
                                  > > > ceramic fiber blanket for $55 but shipping is $49.55 which to me is
                                  > > > outrageous. And their other products are equally priced and high.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Am I missing something here?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Fred
                                  > > >

                                  > --
                                  >

                                  > Ron Thompson
                                  > Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
                                  > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast,
                                  > right beside the Kennedy Space Center,
                                  > USA
                                  >
                                  > http://www.plansandprojects.com
                                  > My hobby pages are here:
                                  > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
                                  >
                                  > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                                  > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/
                                  >
                                  > Add yourself to the member map here:
                                  > http://www.frappr.com/castinghobby
                                  >
                                  > Want to have some fun? The next time you're at McDonald's, wait until
                                  > the kid has your change ready and then say "Wait, I've got the two cents."
                                  > -Ron Thompson
                                • tjwal
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 11, 2009
                                    Todd
                                    You need an adjustable regulator. 150000+ BTUs.
                                    The pressure range depends on your burner. One that goes up to 30 psi would be more than adequate. After my first experience burning through a metal crucible I seldom go above 5 psi.

                                    JohnW

                                    But that is dependent on the burner--- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Todd Greenwood-Geer <t.greenwoodgeer@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > > > have found is about $25.

                                    > > <http://OpenOSX.com>>>
                                    > > > >

                                    > > > --
                                    > > >

                                    > > > Ron Thompson
                                    > > > Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster
                                    > > > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast,
                                    > > > right beside the Kennedy Space Center,
                                    > > > USA
                                    > > >
                                    > > > http://www.plansandprojects.com <http://www.plansandprojects.com>
                                    > > > My hobby pages are here:
                                    > > > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
                                    > > <http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/>
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                                    > > > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/
                                    > > <http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/>
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Add yourself to the member map here:
                                    > > > http://www.frappr.com/castinghobby <http://www.frappr.com/castinghobby>
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Want to have some fun? The next time you're at McDonald's, wait until
                                    > > > the kid has your change ready and then say "Wait, I've got the two

                                  • Carl
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 11, 2009
                                      http://www.anvilfire.com/sales/   Anvilfire sells 1 inch Kaowool for $7.95 per foot. It is 2 feet wide so that is less than $4 sq/ft. I assume they are fair on the shipping but check first. There is some useful info on their fourm about building a forge which also applies to furnaces. Carl