Need ideas for crucible lifting and pouring tongs

  • Lance
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
      Group,

      I would like design ideas for crucible lifting and pouring tongs.
      One man operation.
      A-shaped clay-graphite crucible, A20 size.
      Will be melting Al alloys.

      Is this an item that makes safety-sense to DIY or should I budget
      to buy new v used?

      If buying is recommended, can you provide sources ?

      Thanks

      lance
      ++++
    • James Sterner
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2009
        I've seen a homemade design somewhere that uses a sort of  "A" frame in the center of the shank.  The "A" frame has wheels on the bottom of it, and a piece of pipe on the top of it.  The pouring shank is a smaller pipe the fits inside the one on the top of the "A" frame part.  The handle end is a "T" shape off of the center pipe (that goes through the "A" frame pipe) and the "T" had two short hand grips welded on the ends.  The other end had some sort of clamping arrangement to hold the crucible.  It was meant to work with a split body furnace.
         In operation you melt the metal in the furnace, lift up the body when ready.  Wheel the shank over and clamp the crucible in.  Put some downward pressure on the handle side to lift the crucible off of the plinth block.  Now it can be wheeled to the mold, and poured via twisting the handle to tip the crucible over.  It makes the whole operation a one man job,and you can put the crucible right back in the furnace when your done.
        Jim

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
          Good Morning Lance,

          If you or someone you know is good at metalwork, perhaps a blacksmith, they can make one for you. A local community college that offers welding classes would be great. A good photo or two should be all they need to duplicate what you want. Well, they will also need the crucible to make sure there is a snug fit as they are making the tongs. Loose fitting tongs could be a disaster in the making.

          We will be making a few sets of tongs for ourselves. Tongs are a critical piece of equipment when it comes to safety. Whether you need to buy a set depends on the level of craftmanship that will be used to make the tongs. Keep in mind that loss of fingers, hands, feet, legs, spashes of liquid metal and damage to personal property are risks espicially with cheap equipment.

          Hope this helps.

          Jeff Price
          NW Alabama
        • Brian Fairey
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
            Imagine a pair of kitchen tongs? bend the ends down at right angles and
            give them a twist.
            Form each end into a semicircle so when you use them you can pick up
            round objects.
            Now scale this up 4 or 5 times.
            Brian.

            jp67jkhf wrote:
            > Good Morning Lance,
            >
            > If you or someone you know is good at metalwork, perhaps a blacksmith, they can make one for you. A local community college that offers welding classes would be great. A good photo or two should be all they need to duplicate what you want. Well, they will also need the crucible to make sure there is a snug fit as they are making the tongs. Loose fitting tongs could be a disaster in the making.
            >
            > We will be making a few sets of tongs for ourselves. Tongs are a critical piece of equipment when it comes to safety. Whether you need to buy a set depends on the level of craftmanship that will be used to make the tongs. Keep in mind that loss of fingers, hands, feet, legs, spashes of liquid metal and damage to personal property are risks espicially with cheap equipment.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Jeff Price
            > NW Alabama

            > List Owner:

          • Lance
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
              OK....can do.

              Where on the crucible height should the lift point be:
              1/3 from top
              1/4 from top
              just above halfway?

              With the A-shape there is no bulge.

              lance
              +++++

              On Jul 2, 2009, at 12:15 PM, Brian Fairey wrote:

              > Imagine a pair of kitchen tongs? bend the ends down at right angles
              > and
              > give them a twist.
              > Form each end into a semicircle so when you use them you can pick up
              > round objects.
              > Now scale this up 4 or 5 times.
              > Brian.
            • Dan Brewer
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
                Look at the budget casting site,
                http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/Tongs-Shanks.php , mifco
                http://www.mifco.com/cructong.htm
                books like this
                http://books.google.com/books?id=PsYCZG9sTgYC&pg=PA106&lpg=PA106&dq=pouing+tongs&source=bl&ots=Siv_jX4hJR&sig=fwe2lcsgxy0GnE3JLANkpQK6Vng&hl=en&ei=SWlNSoaAFs3ulAfQk-3GBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6
                or here
                http://www.mgstevens.com/index_files/Page1433.htm
                or
                http://books.google.com/books?id=yFccw_x4h5MC&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&dq=pouring+tongs&source=bl&ots=VOup5zva6X&sig=ozCkCBVYaKhIv47YsPe74EweEwA&hl=en&ei=5WlNSsLkGpWtlAe1i7S_BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9
                here is some bronze casting
                http://fredlyfx.com/bronze.htm
                or here
                http://books.google.com/books?id=S5_Uu4eti5cC&pg=PA108&lpg=PA108&dq=pouring+tongs&source=bl&ots=FBw5Yx4YGY&sig=bkDIGv2gMLQuZwE2X_TWEpQmyxE&hl=en&ei=12pNSublIcewlAfki4i_BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9

                ths should give you an idea

                Dan in Auburn