New Build Suggestions with These Parts...Pretty Pictures Inside

  • cartierusm2004
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 23, 2009
      So I've just started to do reading up on how to construct all this but I thought I'd say hi and introduce myself. I've always wanted to do this and now I actually have a need for it. Money is tight right now so it'll be slow going but I already have these parts and I think they might work, what say you hobbycasters?

      Here's a link to harbor freight of the device I have. It says it has a turbo boost so I assume that means full pressure? Can I just use adapters and screw the end into a regular air pressure gauge to test whether I'm getting at least 30 PIS with the propane on? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91033

      Here are some detailed pics of the one I already have. It seems as though the end already has a venturi type of thing could this be used as is and just thread the end of the air pipe? It also has the large tip, does this have any benefit for use or just set it aside?

      Here's links to the pics on my website.
      http://smokeproductions.com/nozzle.jpg
      http://smokeproductions.com/set.jpg
      http://smokeproductions.com/head.jpg
    • cartierusm2004
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2009
        Can I reply to my own post ;-). I still don't have a burner design but I'm sure I'll come up with something. I'm going to go big as I have quite a bit of property and can store it easily and who knows if I get the bug real bad and want to do some big casting it'll be good for that. I plan on using a 55 gallon steel drum or similar for the outside skin, 22" diameter and 24" high. The question is how much insulation do I need. I think if I'm using 3000F refractory I can get by with 2 1/2" wall thickness? that would cost me here in the bay area about $160 (4 bags of 55# @40 each) that would include the sides, top and botom. Is there anythingwrong with going big if I'm only going to do small aluminum batches in the beggining?

        Thanks for the help.

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "cartierusm2004" <htcustom@...> wrote:

        > So I've just started to do reading up on how to construct all this but I thought I'd say hi and introduce myself. I've always wanted to do this and now I actually have a need for it. Money is tight right now so it'll be slow going but I already have these parts and I think they might work, what say you hobbycasters?
        >
        > Here's a link to harbor freight of the device I have. It says it has a turbo boost so I assume that means full pressure? Can I just use adapters and screw the end into a regular air pressure gauge to test whether I'm getting at least 30 PIS with the propane on? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91033
        >
        > Here are some detailed pics of the one I already have. It seems as though the end already has a venturi type of thing could this be used as is and just thread the end of the air pipe? It also has the large tip, does this have any benefit for use or just set it aside?
        >
        > Here's links to the pics on my website.
        > http://smokeproductions.com/nozzle.jpg
        > http://smokeproductions.com/set.jpg
        > http://smokeproductions.com/head.jpg

      • JohnW
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 24, 2009
          I went small to begin with. My furnace was made out of a popcorn can. So far I haven't found a need for a bigger one although something that would handle a 10 lb crucible might be nice. Even if I build a bigger one I believe most of my pours will still be with the small one though.

          The bigger it is and the higher the temp refractory the more fuel you are going to have to burn. If you are going to only melt aluminum then a lower temperature refractory with a thin hardface will be more than adequate.

          Comments on your torch
          It doesn't have a regulator. The control is a simple needle valve which works fine as long as the supply pressure is constant. With propane this is not the case. The tank will cool as fuel is consumed and the pressure will drop.

          These torches are meant to warm up a large volume of air and are not meant to achieve high temperatures. Either a Porter design or one off Ron Riel's site will work much better. As a start the needle valve will work but getting a regulator should be high on your list.

          The orafice looks large in the picture, but it could easily be changed to a smaller size.

          The Riel burners can be found at http://www.abana.org/ronreil/design2.shtml

          The Porter designs are documented in his book
          http://www.bookmasters.com/skipjack/001.htm

          I don't use one of his burners but others highely recommend them.

          JohnW

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 24, 2009
            Thanks for the advice. Good to know. I figured I'd buy a differnt regulartor anyway as I want a longer hose. You know I'm glad you mentioned it. I already have the materials so I could always build a bigger one at any time, but right now money is tight, if I build a small one with parts I have I could get going sooner. I appreciate the input. I'll check those burners out too. In a small furnace such as the one you have how long does it take to melt let's say 2-3 pounds of aluminum?

          • postello@msu.edu
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 26, 2009
              2-3 pounds of aluminum is a quart or less. I'd figure 20-30 minutes,
              but the first melt takes longer, as you heat up the whole furnace.
              Maybe I should have used more insulation?

              http://www.abana.org/ronreil/design2.shtml%5b1]

              http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91033[3]

              >> as though the end already has a venturi type of thing could this
              be
              >> used as is and just thread the end of the air pipe? It also has
              the
              >> large tip, does this have any benefit for use or just set it
              aside?

              Links:
              ------
              [1] http://www.abana.org/ronreil/design2.shtml
              [2] http://www.bookmasters.com/skipjack/001.htm
              [3] http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91033
              [4] http://smokeproductions.com/nozzle.jpg
              [5] http://smokeproductions.com/set.jpg
              [6] http://smokeproductions.com/head.jpg
            • postello@msu.edu
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 26, 2009
                Those burners will definitely melt aluminum, but they are not very
                efficient. If you want to get started right away to try casting, buy
                one. You would be better off making or buying a burner. If you don't
                have the tools to make one (drill press, not sure what else), you can
                buy a working burner at www,frostic.com I bought two. Dan P.

                http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91033[1]

                >> Here are some detailed pics of the one I already have. It seems as

                >> though the end already has a venturi type of thing could this be
                >> used as is and just thread the end of the air pipe? It also has
                the
                >> large tip, does this have any benefit for use or just set it
                aside?

                >> Here's links to the pics on my website.
                >> http://smokeproductions.com/nozzle.jpg%5b2]
                >> http://smokeproductions.com/set.jpg%5b3]
                >> http://smokeproductions.com/head.jpg%5b4]

                Links:
                ------
                [1] http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91033
                [2] http://smokeproductions.com/nozzle.jpg
                [3] http://smokeproductions.com/set.jpg
                [4] http://smokeproductions.com/head.jpg
              • JohnW
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
                  I can melt 5 lbs in about 15 minutes from a cold start. I use this burner
                  http://ronreil.abana.org/burner.gif

                  I typically run with under 5 psi pressure.

                  My furnace is a popcorn can with perlite and furnace cement refractory so it is fairly efficient. the refractory isn't very pretty and not terribly robust but it works and is easy to patch.

                  JohnW

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 27, 2009
                    Thanks, this is the one I'm going to build except I'll add a .023" welding tip as I weld and have ton of them. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

                    So as I've said I'll be going with this burner and I'm going to use a Stainless steel container that's been lying out back for a while. It used to hold liquid oxygen for labratories. by the time it's cut down it'll be 14" in diameter and 14" high with lid. The top and bottom are domed so I might see if I can find something else.

                    Do you guys mean by popcorn tin, the large ones you get at Target with like 5 gallons of popcorn in it?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 28, 2009
                      Yes, that is the one.