So, anyone CAST anything lately?

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2009
      I keep coming here to look for casting chat... it's been awhile since I've seen any...
    • David Patterson
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2009
        Hopefully in the next week or so.I need to make a larger flask and upsets so I can cast a copper end cap for a steam boiler.
        Dave Patterson

        odd_kins@...

        http://home.comcast.net/~oddkins/foundry_home.html

        > chat... it's been awhile since I've seen any...

      • Richard Sparber
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2009
          I just finished making the Gingery metal shaper. Does that count? You
          can see it on YouTube if you search for rgsparber1. I also wrote 52
          articles on it on my website.

          Rick Sparber
          rgsparber@...
          rick.Sparber.org

          On Mar 4, 2009, at 6:27 PM, "Bill" <sandiego@...> wrote:

          > I keep coming here to look for casting chat... it's been awhile
          > since I've seen any...

          > List Owner:

        • Dennis Cranston
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2009
            Since you asked and I am bored with TV, I thought I would provide some
            thoughts.

            I do occasional casting using Petrobond and ZA-12 of fairly small pieces
            usually about 3 x 3 inches. I start with a cavity CNCed into machinable
            wax, then I cast resin into the cavity to make masters. Recently I put
            together a match plate type arrangement with eight masters, sprues,
            runners, etc. I was glumly contemplating the physical labor in pounding
            the sand into a 12 x 18 flask , both cope and drag and lifting it. I
            stopped to watch TV. Dirty Jobs was on with Mike Rowe in a foundry making
            molds for bronze shower grates. He was using a jolt squeeze machine to make
            the sand molds. It looked so easy, dump some sand in, jolt it a couple of
            times, add a follower board then squeeze the flask and you're done. No
            endless pounding with sand and still getting soft spots. I decided to see
            what I could do.

            I made a small flask about 4 x 4 inches with only one lift. No separate cope
            and drag flasks. The flask was a little deeper then normal. A single pattern
            was on a base that fit in the flask. I dropped the pattern board in and
            filled the flash with the sand. I put a heavy board on the bottom and
            holding the flask and board together, I banged the assemble on a table. It
            took two or three tries, but I was amazed how level the sand came out. I
            then put a follower board on top of the sand and put it under my arbor
            press. The result was a solid block of sand. I pushed it out of the flask
            and put it on a board. This constituted the drag portion of the mold. I did
            several more and lined them up side by side.
            I did the cope part of the mold the same way except the follow board had a
            hole that I could insert a tube to cut the sprue. After repeating several
            times, I was ready to pour.
            I put a steel bar on top of the molds to prevent cope floating and poured
            the metal. No flask needed during pouring! Good castings, and NO SAND
            POUNDING!

            Long, but you opened the door.

            Dennis in Houston

          • Rupert
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2009
              Hello Dennis,
              Interesting. What size is your arbor press? I'm trying to get an idea
              how much pressure you used to press the sand. Did you have any trouble
              removing the pattern board?

              Rupert

              yvt

              Rupert Wenig
              Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

              email: rwenig2@...

              http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
            • Dennis Cranston
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2009
                The arbor press weights about 60 pounds, I don't know how much pressure it
                produces, but I used the supplied handle at full length and 'leaned' on it.
                The density of the sand was almost what it would have been if I had beat it
                with a hammer. The jolt part of the cycle seemed to distribute the sand
                very evenly and got it into all of the crevices of the pattern. So the arbor
                press didn't have to move the sand around much.
                As for separating the pattern from the sand, no problem. The pattern was an
                old style railroad wheel with a dished front and a ribbed back. Plenty of
                draft on all vertical surfaces.

                Dennis in Houston.

                Suggestion

                > Hello Dennis,
                > Interesting. What size is your arbor press? I'm trying to get an
                idea
                > how much pressure you used to press the sand. Did you have any trouble
                > removing the pattern board?
                >
                > Rupert
                >
                > Dennis Cranston wrote:
                > > Since you asked and I am bored with TV, I thought I would provide some
                > > thoughts.
                > >
                > > I do occasional casting using Petrobond and ZA-12 of fairly small pieces
                > > usually about 3 x 3 inches. I start with a cavity CNCed into machinable
                > > wax, then I cast resin into the cavity to make masters. Recently I put
                > > together a match plate type arrangement with eight masters, sprues,
                > > runners, etc. I was glumly contemplating the physical labor in
                pounding
                > > the sand into a 12 x 18 flask , both cope and drag and lifting it. I
                > > stopped to watch TV. Dirty Jobs was on with Mike Rowe in a foundry
                making
                > > molds for bronze shower grates. He was using a jolt squeeze machine to
                make
                > > the sand molds. It looked so easy, dump some sand in, jolt it a couple
                of
                > > times, add a follower board then squeeze the flask and you're done. No
                > > endless pounding with sand and still getting soft spots. I decided to
                see
                > > what I could do.
                > >
                > > I made a small flask about 4 x 4 inches with only one lift. No separate
                cope
                > > and drag flasks. The flask was a little deeper then normal. A single
                pattern
                > > was on a base that fit in the flask. I dropped the pattern board in and
                > > filled the flash with the sand. I put a heavy board on the bottom and
                > > holding the flask and board together, I banged the assemble on a table.
                It
                > > took two or three tries, but I was amazed how level the sand came out.
                > > then put a follower board on top of the sand and put it under my arbor
                > > press. The result was a solid block of sand. I pushed it out of the
                flask
                > > and put it on a board. This constituted the drag portion of the mold. I
                did
                > > several more and lined them up side by side.
                > > I did the cope part of the mold the same way except the follow board had
                > > hole that I could insert a tube to cut the sprue. After repeating
                several
                > > times, I was ready to pour.
                > > I put a steel bar on top of the molds to prevent cope floating and
                poured
                > > the metal. No flask needed during pouring! Good castings, and NO SAND
                > > POUNDING!
                > >
                > > Long, but you opened the door.
                > >

                > > Dennis in Houston

                03/03/09
                > 16:09:00
                > >

                > --
                >
                > yvt
                >
                > Rupert Wenig
                > Camrose, Alberta, Canada.
                >
                > email: rwenig2@...
                >
                > http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/

                > List Owner:

              • Dick Morris
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 4, 2009
                  A friend had a low cost hydraulic press and a low cost air over
                  hydraulic jack that he was going to marry up so he could make the
                  press work a bit quicker with less work. I've thought that this set
                  up might be a good substitute for a jolt squeeze machine for smaller
                  flasks that could serve double duty as a press.

                  At 05:23 PM 3/4/2009, you wrote:

                  >I put a steel bar on top of the molds to prevent cope floating and poured
                  >the metal. No flask needed during pouring! Good castings, and NO SAND
                  >POUNDING!

                  Dick Morris
                  Anchorage, Alaska
                • Dennis Cranston
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 4, 2009
                    A hydraulic press would probably be even better then my arbor press. Less
                    work, which is my objective.

                    How hard to pack the sand seems to be a quantitative value in industry, but
                    a qualitative factor in hobby casting. Sand hardness is measured by how far
                    a steel ball is pressed into sand by a a spring with the amount of
                    depression measured by a dial indicator. It would be interesting to see a
                    home shop designed hardness tester that could be correlated to industrial
                    standards. From pictures, I have seen, that the amount of pressure is
                    reasonable. But I don't know what that amount is.

                    Two interesting points I observed was first, the jolt step was
                    really important. Industry uses a sand delivery system that delivers
                    'fluffed' sand. I used window screen to run the sand through to be sure
                    there were no clumps. The jolt step really leveled the sand in the flask.
                    Second point is the lack of need for flasks while pouring the metal.
                    There was a minor amount of flash, but no more then I normally get. I have
                    always been under the impression that each mold needed a flask when pouring.
                    There is the process of using jumping flasks where a tapered flask is move
                    from mold to mold when pouring. However, if the mold is weighted, then no
                    flask may be needed. Interesting possibilities for experimenting.

                    Dennis in Houston

                  • Dick Morris
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 4, 2009
                      I a gauge were fitted to the hydraulic side of the jack, it would be
                      easy to get repeatable, and hopefully predictable results.

                      Here is a bench top press that might work, although the stroke is a
                      bit short at 6-1/2".
                      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65330

                      At 07:17 PM 3/4/2009, you wrote:
                      >A hydraulic press would probably be even better then my arbor press. Less
                      >work, which is my objective.
                      >
                      >How hard to pack the sand seems to be a quantitative value in industry, but
                      >a qualitative factor in hobby casting.

                      Dick Morris
                      Anchorage, Alaska
                    • Jim Morton
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 5, 2009
                        Dennis:

                        I saw that very same episode & marvelled at how fast the employee (which showed Mike how to make up the mold) was.  Of course, when you are paid by the piece, you do become very fast at what you do over time - but this guy FLEW through the process!

                        I have been giving some thought to trying this myself - but I've had two bad habits to support get in the way - namely, eating and sleeping under a roof.  LOL

                        Seriously, how many tries did it take before you arrived at a consistent method/feel for the pressure confidence?  Does this method perform well enough to consider giving up "normal" pounding of the cope & drag (for small parts anyway)?

                        Thanks for the info!

                        Jim