New guy

  • michael_bt38c17
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2009
      I was on here awhile ago but lost my Yahoo ID/psw. So i had to rejoin
      Yahoo. At least this time i wrote it down. Anyway, i've recently
      bought a small casting setup with almost everything i need to get
      started. It is setup for a #6 size crucible. About the only thing i
      really need is a good pair of leather boots to hlep protect my feet.
      So to just get started, i'm going to try to melt some aluminum
      castings that i've had laying around, like a riding lawnmower trans
      housing, and some old detroit diesel blower parts. As i get some
      practice and 'confort' level for handling molten metal, i hope to move
      on to small hot rod things like sword handle for oil dipsticks and
      grenade knobs for gear shifters. But my first real casting is going to
      be a ramming tool. So, just to say hi, i'm Mike, and will be back
      again with questions as i get going with this new adventure.

      Mike
    • Lyle
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 29, 2009
        Do yourself a favor and make your rammer out of wood. If you ever hit
        your wood pattern with your cast rammer...
        LL
        PS sounds like good projects though.

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "michael_bt38c17"
        <michael_bt38c17@...> wrote:

        > I was on here awhile ago but lost my Yahoo ID/psw. So i had to
        rejoin
        > Yahoo. At least this time i wrote it down. Anyway, i've recently
        > bought a small casting setup with almost everything i need to get
        > started. It is setup for a #6 size crucible. About the only thing i
        > really need is a good pair of leather boots to hlep protect my
        feet.
        > So to just get started, i'm going to try to melt some aluminum
        > castings that i've had laying around, like a riding lawnmower trans
        > housing, and some old detroit diesel blower parts. As i get some
        > practice and 'confort' level for handling molten metal, i hope to
        move
        > on to small hot rod things like sword handle for oil dipsticks and
        > grenade knobs for gear shifters. But my first real casting is going
        > be a ramming tool. So, just to say hi, i'm Mike, and will be back
        > again with questions as i get going with this new adventure.
        >
        > Mike

      • michael_bt38c17
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009
          Thanks Lyle. I'm sure there is going to be a lot of 'never thought
          about that' replys. Any and all hints and experiences are greatly
          welcome.

          Question - to get practice melting, i've got a bunch of aluminum pop
          cans. What can i add to make the melt pour smoothly?

          Question - I've got a lot of those 'brass' plumbing fixtures, you
          know, facuets and valves. How can i tell the different kinds of brass
          apart? What about the areas where there is still some silver solder
          left? What will it do to the melt?

          Thanks

          Mike
        • postello@msu.edu
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009
            If you can, cash in the cans, or trade them for cast aluminum. If you
            can't, plan on a yield of about one half teaspoon of aluminum per can.
            A flux may or may noy help. Maybe use borax, or wood ash and salt
            as a flux.

            > Thanks Lyle. I'm sure there is going to be a lot of 'never thought
            > about that' replys. Any and all hints and experiences are greatly
            > welcome.
            >
            > Question - to get practice melting, i've got a bunch of aluminum
            pop
            > cans. What can i add to make the melt pour smoothly?
            >
            > Question - I've got a lot of those 'brass' plumbing fixtures, you
            > know, facuets and valves. How can i tell the different kinds of
            brass
            > apart? What about the areas where there is still some silver solder
            > left? What will it do to the melt?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Mike

          • James Buchanan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009
              Alloy 4 pounds of melted aluminum with 5.12 oz of short pieces of copper
              wire. melt the aluminum and drop in the copper wire and stir until the
              copper is dissolved.

              This works for cans and extruded aluminum.

              Jim

              James (Jim) Buchanan
              Lexington, Kentucky
              Climax Class B Locomotive Builder/Operator
              GE 44 Ton Industrial Switcher Builder/Operator
              Email: jambuch@...
              Web Page: http://jambuch.home.insightbb.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009
                On Jan 30, 2009, at 9:46 AM, michael_bt38c17 wrote:

                > Question - to get practice melting, i've got a bunch of aluminum pop
                > cans. What can i add to make the melt pour smoothly?

                Just be prepared - about half the volume will be slag. I prefer to
                shred them for thermite. ;)

                But the best method for melting them is to start out with a pool of
                aluminum from an ingot or cast pieces. Once you have a pool of molten
                aluminum - put the crushed cans in one at a time - pressing them to
                the bottom.

                This minimizes the chance for the aluminum to be exposed to oxygen and
                maximizes the amount of quality aluminum you can hope to get.

                Beware that cans with fluid in them can be dangerous - where safety
                gear (like a face visor is great) and make sure the cans are dry. I
                have had cans with water/soda/beer/etc. go in the crucible before and
                the water safely evaporated - but beware that an explosion is possible
                with cans that have any fluid in them.

                Cheers,

                Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                <http://OpenOSX.com>
                phone: 877.240.1364
              • Lyle
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
                  You won't need to stir them. They will completely dissolve without stirring and stirring
                  disrupts the protective skim coat.
                  LL