Re: [hobbicast] CASTing alluminum

  • Nick Andrews
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
      If it's extruded aluminum, you need to add some zinc to make a better alloy
      for machining, if you are going to need to machine it, that is. Throw some
      pennies into the melt...

      --
      Nick A

      "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
      single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

      deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
      of Pennsylvania, 1759

      "Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet."
      Anonymous

      "I believe that if you can't find something nice to say about somebody, then
      you must be talking about Hillary Clinton." Jeff Foxworthy

    • Rupert
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
        I add about 8% copper to my scrap melts of extruded aluminum. Adding
        zinc is would work too. Or, add about 80% zinc to make your own ZA alloy.

        Rupert

        Nick Andrews wrote:
        > If it's extruded aluminum, you need to add some zinc to make a better alloy
        > for machining, if you are going to need to machine it, that is. Throw some
        > pennies into the melt...
        >
        > On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:13 AM, J Harkness <juntius@...> wrote:
        >

        >> help for the noobie..
        >>
        >> Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
        >> i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to melt
        >> them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
        >>
        >> thanks
        >> :)

        yvt

        Rupert Wenig
        Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

        email: rwenig2@...

        http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
      • Lyle
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
          If you mix a little 356 (about half and half) your castings will come
          out better. You can make ingots with the extrusions but if you try to
          cast anything that's thin, the extruded alloy won't flow as good and be
          a duller color. I personally put in some 50/50 aluminum/silicon "master
          alloy" and try to shoot for about 5% silicon and it casts just as good
          as any certified alloy. The copper trick will work too. I try to avoid
          using alot of zinc.
          LL

          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "J Harkness" <juntius@...> wrote:

          > help for the noobie..
          >
          > Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
          > i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to melt
          > them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
          >
          > thanks
          > :)

        • Stone Tool
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
            Lyle:
            What happens if you use considerable zinc.... presumably the melting
            temp drops, and there is the zinc fume issue.... What about strength,
            machineability, and pourability? Pot metal (zamak) would seem to have
            a lot of advantages.... and a few disadvantages..... what about the
            intermediates.

            Howard

            Lyle wrote:
            > If you mix a little 356 (about half and half) your castings will come
            > out better. You can make ingots with the extrusions but if you try to
            > cast anything that's thin, the extruded alloy won't flow as good and be
            > a duller color. I personally put in some 50/50 aluminum/silicon "master
            > alloy" and try to shoot for about 5% silicon and it casts just as good
            > as any certified alloy. The copper trick will work too. I try to avoid
            > using alot of zinc.
            > LL
            >
            > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "J Harkness" <juntius@...> wrote:
            >> help for the noobie..
            >>
            >> Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
            >> i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to melt
            >> them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
            >>
            >> thanks
            >> :)

            > List Owner:

          • J Harkness
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
              Thanks for all the tips, i'm just planning on pouring some molds no
              machining. I'll try a few pennies.. and all this time i thought
              pennies were made out of copper!

              i'll take some photos for the group..

              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "J Harkness" <juntius@...> wrote:

              > help for the noobie..
              >
              > Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
              > i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to melt
              > them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
              >
              > thanks
              > :)

            • mary long
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
                After 1982 their zinc not copper

              • jbrennan3@austin.rr.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
                  pennies after 1982 are copper plated zinc.

                  ---- J Harkness <juntius@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks for all the tips, i'm just planning on pouring some molds no
                  > machining. I'll try a few pennies.. and all this time i thought
                  > pennies were made out of copper!
                  >
                  > i'll take some photos for the group..
                  >

                  > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "J Harkness" <juntius@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > help for the noobie..
                  > >
                  > > Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
                  > > i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to melt
                  > > them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
                  > >
                  > > thanks
                  > > :)

                • Lyle
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
                    I avoid zinc mainly because of the galvanic corrosion issue. I have
                    good luck adding either copper or silicon and the pourability is
                    real real good adding the silicon and machinability isn't too bad
                    either when you using a good tool at the right speed and lubrication.
                    There shouldn't be the zinc fume issue with making pot metal as it
                    dosen't fume like it does when adding it to copper to make brass but
                    that's not the reason I don't use it. Why pour pot metal when you can
                    pour a better aluminum alloy? Just my opinion as I know there's alot
                    of folks here sold on Zamac which is a specific tradename for a line
                    of alloys and not inclusive of all "pot metal" yet it's still a
                    Zinc/aluminum alloy to me.....
                    LL

                    --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:

                    > Lyle:
                    > What happens if you use considerable zinc.... presumably the
                    melting
                    > temp drops, and there is the zinc fume issue.... What about
                    strength,
                    > machineability, and pourability? Pot metal (zamak) would seem to
                    have
                    > a lot of advantages.... and a few disadvantages..... what about the
                    > intermediates.
                    >
                    > Howard
                    >
                    > Lyle wrote:
                    > > If you mix a little 356 (about half and half) your castings will
                    come
                    > > out better. You can make ingots with the extrusions but if you
                    try to
                    > > cast anything that's thin, the extruded alloy won't flow as good
                    and be
                    > > a duller color. I personally put in some 50/50
                    aluminum/silicon "master
                    > > alloy" and try to shoot for about 5% silicon and it casts just as
                    good
                    > > as any certified alloy. The copper trick will work too. I try to
                    avoid
                    > > using alot of zinc.
                    > > LL
                    > >
                    > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "J Harkness" <juntius@> wrote:
                    > >> help for the noobie..
                    > >>
                    > >> Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
                    > >> i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to
                    melt
                    > >> them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
                    > >>
                    > >> thanks
                    > >> :)

                    > > List Owner:
                    > > owly@...
                    > >
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Daniel C Postellon
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
                      copper? old motor windings work for me.

                      > help for the noobie..
                      >
                      > Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
                      > i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to melt
                      > them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
                      >
                      > thanks
                      > :)

                    • Lance
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 13, 2008
                        Group,

                        I would like to subscribe to a monthly magazine
                        that deals with home metal machining, metal spinning,
                        general metal work and metal casting.

                        If it has an "artsy" bent, more better.

                        Can you suggest a magazine that might fit?

                        Thanks

                        lance
                        ++++
                      • Ron Thompson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 13, 2008
                          http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/
                          --

                          Ron Thompson
                          Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster

                          http://www.plansandprojects.com
                          My hobby pages are here:

                          Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

                          Add yourself to the member map here:
                          http://www.frappr.com/castinghobby

                          Want to have some fun? The next time you're at McDonald's, wait until
                          the kid has your change ready and then say "Wait, I've got the two cents."
                          -Ron Thompson