CASTing alluminum

  • J Harkness
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
      help for the noobie..

      Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
      i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to melt
      them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?

      thanks
      :)
    • Nick Andrews
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
        If it's extruded aluminum, you need to add some zinc to make a better alloy
        for machining, if you are going to need to machine it, that is. Throw some
        pennies into the melt...

        --
        Nick A

        "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
        single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

        deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
        of Pennsylvania, 1759

        "Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet."
        Anonymous

        "I believe that if you can't find something nice to say about somebody, then
        you must be talking about Hillary Clinton." Jeff Foxworthy

      • Rupert
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
          I add about 8% copper to my scrap melts of extruded aluminum. Adding
          zinc is would work too. Or, add about 80% zinc to make your own ZA alloy.

          Rupert

          Nick Andrews wrote:
          > If it's extruded aluminum, you need to add some zinc to make a better alloy
          > for machining, if you are going to need to machine it, that is. Throw some
          > pennies into the melt...
          >
          > On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:13 AM, J Harkness <juntius@...> wrote:
          >

          >> help for the noobie..
          >>
          >> Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
          >> i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to melt
          >> them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
          >>
          >> thanks
          >> :)

          yvt

          Rupert Wenig
          Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

          email: rwenig2@...

          http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/
        • Lyle
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
            If you mix a little 356 (about half and half) your castings will come
            out better. You can make ingots with the extrusions but if you try to
            cast anything that's thin, the extruded alloy won't flow as good and be
            a duller color. I personally put in some 50/50 aluminum/silicon "master
            alloy" and try to shoot for about 5% silicon and it casts just as good
            as any certified alloy. The copper trick will work too. I try to avoid
            using alot of zinc.
            LL

            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "J Harkness" <juntius@...> wrote:

            > help for the noobie..
            >
            > Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
            > i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to melt
            > them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
            >
            > thanks
            > :)

          • Stone Tool
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
              Lyle:
              What happens if you use considerable zinc.... presumably the melting
              temp drops, and there is the zinc fume issue.... What about strength,
              machineability, and pourability? Pot metal (zamak) would seem to have
              a lot of advantages.... and a few disadvantages..... what about the
              intermediates.

              Howard

              Lyle wrote:
              > If you mix a little 356 (about half and half) your castings will come
              > out better. You can make ingots with the extrusions but if you try to
              > cast anything that's thin, the extruded alloy won't flow as good and be
              > a duller color. I personally put in some 50/50 aluminum/silicon "master
              > alloy" and try to shoot for about 5% silicon and it casts just as good
              > as any certified alloy. The copper trick will work too. I try to avoid
              > using alot of zinc.
              > LL
              >
              > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "J Harkness" <juntius@...> wrote:
              >> help for the noobie..
              >>
              >> Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
              >> i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to melt
              >> them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
              >>
              >> thanks
              >> :)

              > List Owner:

            • J Harkness
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
                Thanks for all the tips, i'm just planning on pouring some molds no
                machining. I'll try a few pennies.. and all this time i thought
                pennies were made out of copper!

                i'll take some photos for the group..

                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "J Harkness" <juntius@...> wrote:

                > help for the noobie..
                >
                > Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
                > i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to melt
                > them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
                >
                > thanks
                > :)

              • mary long
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
                  After 1982 their zinc not copper

                • jbrennan3@austin.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
                    pennies after 1982 are copper plated zinc.

                    ---- J Harkness <juntius@...> wrote:
                    > Thanks for all the tips, i'm just planning on pouring some molds no
                    > machining. I'll try a few pennies.. and all this time i thought
                    > pennies were made out of copper!
                    >
                    > i'll take some photos for the group..
                    >

                    > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "J Harkness" <juntius@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > help for the noobie..
                    > >
                    > > Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
                    > > i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to melt
                    > > them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
                    > >
                    > > thanks
                    > > :)

                  • Lyle
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
                      I avoid zinc mainly because of the galvanic corrosion issue. I have
                      good luck adding either copper or silicon and the pourability is
                      real real good adding the silicon and machinability isn't too bad
                      either when you using a good tool at the right speed and lubrication.
                      There shouldn't be the zinc fume issue with making pot metal as it
                      dosen't fume like it does when adding it to copper to make brass but
                      that's not the reason I don't use it. Why pour pot metal when you can
                      pour a better aluminum alloy? Just my opinion as I know there's alot
                      of folks here sold on Zamac which is a specific tradename for a line
                      of alloys and not inclusive of all "pot metal" yet it's still a
                      Zinc/aluminum alloy to me.....
                      LL

                      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:

                      > Lyle:
                      > What happens if you use considerable zinc.... presumably the
                      melting
                      > temp drops, and there is the zinc fume issue.... What about
                      strength,
                      > machineability, and pourability? Pot metal (zamak) would seem to
                      have
                      > a lot of advantages.... and a few disadvantages..... what about the
                      > intermediates.
                      >
                      > Howard
                      >
                      > Lyle wrote:
                      > > If you mix a little 356 (about half and half) your castings will
                      come
                      > > out better. You can make ingots with the extrusions but if you
                      try to
                      > > cast anything that's thin, the extruded alloy won't flow as good
                      and be
                      > > a duller color. I personally put in some 50/50
                      aluminum/silicon "master
                      > > alloy" and try to shoot for about 5% silicon and it casts just as
                      good
                      > > as any certified alloy. The copper trick will work too. I try to
                      avoid
                      > > using alot of zinc.
                      > > LL
                      > >
                      > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "J Harkness" <juntius@> wrote:
                      > >> help for the noobie..
                      > >>
                      > >> Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
                      > >> i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to
                      melt
                      > >> them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
                      > >>
                      > >> thanks
                      > >> :)

                      > > List Owner:
                      > > owly@...
                      > >
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Daniel C Postellon
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 10, 2008
                        copper? old motor windings work for me.

                        > help for the noobie..
                        >
                        > Does anyone add any amendments to "scrap" aluminum?
                        > i've got some old alum chairs, golf bag holders, etc and want to melt
                        > them down. Would you go as is, or add something to the melt?
                        >
                        > thanks
                        > :)

                      • Lance
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 13, 2008
                          Group,

                          I would like to subscribe to a monthly magazine
                          that deals with home metal machining, metal spinning,
                          general metal work and metal casting.

                          If it has an "artsy" bent, more better.

                          Can you suggest a magazine that might fit?

                          Thanks

                          lance
                          ++++
                        • Ron Thompson
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 13, 2008
                            http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/
                            --

                            Ron Thompson
                            Riding my '07 XL883C Sportster

                            http://www.plansandprojects.com
                            My hobby pages are here:

                            Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

                            Add yourself to the member map here:
                            http://www.frappr.com/castinghobby

                            Want to have some fun? The next time you're at McDonald's, wait until
                            the kid has your change ready and then say "Wait, I've got the two cents."
                            -Ron Thompson