Re: [hobbicast] Re: green sand homebrew

  • John
    Message 1 of 56 , Nov 17, 2008
      No cows or oil and ponds have plastic liners around us,
      But plenty of cats. Kitty litter is easier and cheaper so I went 'Lost Foam' and use dry 'Silver Sand' with 0.006 inch grains.
      Seems to work fine for me.
      John (UK)

    • John
      Message 56 of 56 , Nov 19, 2008
        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "oldstudentmsgt" <wmrmeyers@...>
        wrote:

        'John, I don't suppose you'd be willing to post photos of your
        setup? '
        Hi Bill,
        Just added a Photo album called Cabinet Furnace with a few
        photos of my set-up.
        First. The frame is 1 metre wide by 1 metre high and 500 mm
        front to back all made from aluminium extrusion. The sides and top
        are filled in with 1/16 alloy sheet and now there are two doors
        fitted to the front that when opened can form extra windshields at
        the sides.
        Second. The furnace top is lifted by a lever that is inside the
        cabinet and can easily be reached from the front. The lifting chain
        is at an angle so that when the lever is pulled down the angled chain
        pulls the top to one side (right in my case since I'm left handed,
        raising the lever allows the top to be lowered onto a convenient
        place on the framework. There is a vertical guide rod at the back
        with a block long enough not to jam on it when the top is lifted or
        lowered. The furnace opens using one hand only but to close the top
        it needs to be rotated back in line with the furnace by using one
        hand while the other controls the lever.
        Third. The casting bed or tray is to the left and is some 6
        inches deep sand. Pigs can be cast by making holes in it and pouring
        into them but these days I bury toilet roll tubes up to the end and
        pour into those. Since I do LF mostly the patterns are buried in old
        cans filled with fine sand and stand on or in the tray behind the
        front panel and away from my feet.
        Fourth. What it looks like when the furnace is opened. The top
        rests to one side and the top quarter of my pipe crucible stands
        clear of the furnace top. I made some side handled lifting tongs that
        grip just below the spout but will also reach down inside if I am
        using a shorter crucible.
        When I built it I tried to keep the hot metal inside this cabinet
        but of course if necessary the mould can be outside in a more
        conventional manner.
        Regarding your other 'comments' What is freely given cannot be
        stolen so if the idea helps anyone then that is a little bonus for me.
        John. (UK)