Re: lawn mower melt

  • Lyle
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 10, 2008
      I usually use a MIFCO B-16 furnace with a blower from a B-30 which
      allows me to melt cast iron. But the propane demand is pretty high. I
      can get dozens of melts pouring 6 molds for each melt from one 100 lb
      bottle but in winter moths I need to stick to aluminum as brass takes
      longer to heat and the propane valve will freeze up. It gets to -20
      and occationally to -30 or lower here for about 4 months out of the
      year. Code requires the propane bottles to be outside of the shop. If
      I do cast brass or iron in the winter I have to use one of my smaller
      furnaces. Going to a double regulator helps (as you can get the same
      volume but at less pressure) but dosen't totally solve the problem.
      Speaking of brass, it's now $5/lb in quantity where I'm getting it.
      What about you guys?
      LL

      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, David Patterson <odd_kins@...>
      wrote:

      > This might help to decide if it's too cold to melt.
      > http://www.flameengineering.com/Propane_Info.html
      >
      > Dave Patterson
      > odd_kins@...
      > http://home.comcast.net/~oddkins/foundry_home.html

      at

      > >> casting and

      > >> the

      right

      > >> into

      > >> it,

      > >> neutral),

      > > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hobbicast

      > > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/sandcrabs
      > > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Hobbicast1

      > > http://budgetcastin gsupply.com/
      > >
      > > List Owner:
      > > owly@ttc-cmc. net
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      10/8/2008 7:19 PM

      > --
      >
      > yvt
      >
      > Rupert Wenig
      > Camrose, Alberta, Canada.
      >
      > email: rwenig2@xplornet. com
      >
      > http://users. xplornet. com/~rwenig/ Home/

    • Chris Horne
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 10, 2008
        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, David Patterson <odd_kins@...> wrote:

        > This might help to decide if it's too cold to melt.
        > http://www.flameengineering.com/Propane_Info.html
        >
        > Dave Patterson
        > odd_kins@...
        > http://home.comcast.net/~oddkins/foundry_home.html

        That is really interesting !

        The difference between a full and part empty cylinder is far greater
        than I imagined!

        Moral, for a big melt, use a full cylinder, or save part used
        cylinders for the summer !
      • Nick Andrews
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 10, 2008

          > "It gets to -20 and occationally to -30 or lower here for about 4 months
          > out of the
          > year."

          Sounds to me like it's time to move south!
          --
          Nick A

          "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
          single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

          deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
          of Pennsylvania, 1759

          "Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet."
          Anonymous

          "I believe that if you can't find something nice to say about somebody, then
          you must be talking about Hillary Clinton." Jeff Foxworthy