Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: lawn mower melt

Expand Messages
  • Jack
    Well, I use a 3/4 inch downwind (upwind? - I ve forgotten) burner that will freeze some cylinders at 15 lb pressure, and not freeze others at up to 45 lbs
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 10, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      Well, I use a 3/4 inch 'downwind' (upwind? - I've forgotten) burner
      that will freeze some cylinders at 15 lb pressure, and not freeze
      others at up to 45 lbs pressure. At least a part of the problem seems
      to be in the outlet valve on the cylinder itself.

      If you get a cylinder that freezes, use it up and exchange it for
      another in the hope of getting something better. If you get a good
      one, get it refilled so you can keep it.
      Jack





      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Brewer" <danqualman@...> wrote:
      >
      > Rupert, I am in the Seattle area of Washington. It doesn't stay 0
      too long
      > here but even so The only time my tank has frozen is using a turkey
      fryer
      > all day. In the rain.
      >
      > Dan
      >
      > On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Rupert <rwenig2@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hello Dan,
      > > I think your forgetting that some of us live in cooler climates
      than
      > > Texas. :-( A 1 1/2" porter burner and other burners draw enough
      propane
      > > from a 100 lb bottle to freeze it up easily when the temp drops
      to -20C
      > > (0F to you).
      > > Rupert
      > >
      > >
      > > Dan Brewer wrote:
      > > > How big of a burner are you using? With my 1 1/2 inch porter
      style it
      > > > doesnt freez up at any time.
      > > >
      > > > Dan in Auburn
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Lyle
      <creepinogie@...<creepinogie%40yahoo.com>>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >> Personally, I'd rather use fuel oil for a foundry furnace. I
      fill a
      > > >> couple of 100 lb tanks every month or so and have them freeze
      up
      > > >> during the winter months if I try to cast bronze. This is even
      with a
      > > >> dual tank system. If anyone has a decent fuel oil burner
      design not
      > > >> involving pumps please let me know.
      > > >> LL
      > > >>
      > > >>
      > > >> --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com <hobbicast%
      40yahoogroups.com><hobbicast%
      > > 40yahoogroups.com>, Jeshua
      > >
      > > >> Lacock <jeshua@> wrote:
      > > >>
      > > >>> On Oct 8, 2008, at 3:10 PM, Rexarino wrote:
      > > >>>
      > > >>>
      > > >>>> The burner can be fired from a propane barbeque tank and a
      > > >>>>
      > > >> higher
      > > >>
      > > >>>> pressure
      > > >>>> regulator. We were using a 100 pound tank (in the
      background) at
      > > >>>> about 8
      > > >>>> psi. It costs me about $70 a year in propane to do all the
      > > >>>>
      > > >> casting and
      > > >>
      > > >>>> playing with fire at my house, and I'm not willing to deal
      with
      > > >>>>
      > > >> the
      > > >>
      > > >>>> mess of
      > > >>>> an oil fired unit for that
      > > >>>>
      > > >>> Hi there,
      > > >>>
      > > >>> I just pour 5 gallon containers (supplied from restaurants)
      right
      > > >>>
      > > >> into
      > > >>
      > > >>> my 55 gallon drum (through a window screen). Usually, I don't
      even
      > > >>> touch the oil. Once it is in my drum, I just use a gate to
      control
      > > >>>
      > > >> it,
      > > >>
      > > >>> again don't even touch it.
      > > >>>
      > > >>> 5 gallons of oil has the same amount of BTUs as 32.25 pounds
      of
      > > >>> propane. So at $3 per pound, 5 gallons of oil is worth
      $96.75. I
      > > >>> usually get about 6 containers at once which is the
      equivalent of
      > > >>> $580, which lasts me a long time! Personally I think that
      dumping
      > > >>>
      > > >> a
      > > >>
      > > >>> few containers into a bigger container is easily worth $580!
      > > >>>
      > > >>> Not to mention the additional benefits of oil include: it is
      non-
      > > >>> explosive (unlike propane), you don't have to worry about the
      tank
      > > >>> freezing up /petering out right when you are in the middle of
      a
      > > >>> project, is considered recycling by the EPA (it is carbon
      > > >>>
      > > >> neutral),
      > > >>
      > > >>> oil is non-toxic (propane is a carcinogen), and burns much
      cleaner
      > > >>> (less NOX - smells better too)...
      > > >>>
      > > >>>
      > > >>> Cheers,
      > > >>>
      > > >>> Jeshua Lacock, Owner
      > > >>> <http://OpenOSX.com>
      > > >>> phone: 877.240.1364
      > > >>>
      > > >>>
      > > >>
      > > >>
      > > >>
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > ------------------------------------
      > > >
      > > > For discussion of Metal Casting and related issues
      > > > this list does not accept attachments.
      > > >
      > > > Files area and list services are at:
      > > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hobbicast
      > > >
      > > > For additional files and photos and off topic discussions
      > > > check out these two affiliated sites:
      > > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sandcrabs
      > > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hobbicast1
      > > >
      > > > Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply
      > > > http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
      > > >
      > > > List Owner:
      > > > owly@... <owly%40ttc-cmc.net>
      > > >
      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > > >
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > ----------------------------------------------------------
      > > >
      > > >
      > > > No virus found in this incoming message.
      > > > Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
      > > > Version: 8.0.173 / Virus Database: 270.7.6/1715 - Release Date:
      10/8/2008
      > > 7:19 PM
      > > >
      > > >
      > >
      > > --
      > >
      > > yvt
      > >
      > > Rupert Wenig
      > > Camrose, Alberta, Canada.
      > >
      > > email: rwenig2@... <rwenig2%40xplornet.com>
      > >
      > >
      http://users.xplornet.com/~rwenig/Home/<http://users.xplornet.com/%
      7Erwenig/Home/>
      > >
      > >
      > >
      >
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
    • Lyle
      I usually use a MIFCO B-16 furnace with a blower from a B-30 which allows me to melt cast iron. But the propane demand is pretty high. I can get dozens of
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 10, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        I usually use a MIFCO B-16 furnace with a blower from a B-30 which
        allows me to melt cast iron. But the propane demand is pretty high. I
        can get dozens of melts pouring 6 molds for each melt from one 100 lb
        bottle but in winter moths I need to stick to aluminum as brass takes
        longer to heat and the propane valve will freeze up. It gets to -20
        and occationally to -30 or lower here for about 4 months out of the
        year. Code requires the propane bottles to be outside of the shop. If
        I do cast brass or iron in the winter I have to use one of my smaller
        furnaces. Going to a double regulator helps (as you can get the same
        volume but at less pressure) but dosen't totally solve the problem.
        Speaking of brass, it's now $5/lb in quantity where I'm getting it.
        What about you guys?
        LL

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, David Patterson <odd_kins@...>
        wrote:
        >
        > This might help to decide if it's too cold to melt.
        > http://www.flameengineering.com/Propane_Info.html
        >
        > Dave Patterson
        > odd_kins@...
        > http://home.comcast.net/~oddkins/foundry_home.html
        >
        > --- On Thu, 10/9/08, Rupert <rwenig2@...> wrote:
        >
        > From: Rupert <rwenig2@...>
        > Subject: Re: [hobbicast] Re: lawn mower melt
        > To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
        > Date: Thursday, October 9, 2008, 7:40 PM
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > Hello Dan,
        > I think your forgetting that some of us live in cooler climates
        than
        > Texas. :-( A 1 1/2" porter burner and other burners draw enough
        propane
        > from a 100 lb bottle to freeze it up easily when the temp drops to -
        20C
        > (0F to you).
        > Rupert
        >
        > Dan Brewer wrote:
        > > How big of a burner are you using? With my 1 1/2 inch porter
        style it
        > > doesnt freez up at any time.
        > >
        > > Dan in Auburn
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Lyle <creepinogie@ yahoo.com>
        wrote:
        > >
        > >
        > >> Personally, I'd rather use fuel oil for a foundry furnace. I
        fill a
        > >> couple of 100 lb tanks every month or so and have them freeze up
        > >> during the winter months if I try to cast bronze. This is even
        with a
        > >> dual tank system. If anyone has a decent fuel oil burner design
        not
        > >> involving pumps please let me know.
        > >> LL
        > >>
        > >>
        > >> --- In hobbicast@yahoogrou ps.com <hobbicast%40yahoog
        roups.com> , Jeshua
        > >> Lacock <jeshua@> wrote:
        > >>
        > >>> On Oct 8, 2008, at 3:10 PM, Rexarino wrote:
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>>> The burner can be fired from a propane barbeque tank and a
        > >>>>
        > >> higher
        > >>
        > >>>> pressure
        > >>>> regulator. We were using a 100 pound tank (in the background)
        at
        > >>>> about 8
        > >>>> psi. It costs me about $70 a year in propane to do all the
        > >>>>
        > >> casting and
        > >>
        > >>>> playing with fire at my house, and I'm not willing to deal with
        > >>>>
        > >> the
        > >>
        > >>>> mess of
        > >>>> an oil fired unit for that
        > >>>>
        > >>> Hi there,
        > >>>
        > >>> I just pour 5 gallon containers (supplied from restaurants)
        right
        > >>>
        > >> into
        > >>
        > >>> my 55 gallon drum (through a window screen). Usually, I don't
        even
        > >>> touch the oil. Once it is in my drum, I just use a gate to
        control
        > >>>
        > >> it,
        > >>
        > >>> again don't even touch it.
        > >>>
        > >>> 5 gallons of oil has the same amount of BTUs as 32.25 pounds of
        > >>> propane. So at $3 per pound, 5 gallons of oil is worth $96.75. I
        > >>> usually get about 6 containers at once which is the equivalent
        of
        > >>> $580, which lasts me a long time! Personally I think that
        dumping
        > >>>
        > >> a
        > >>
        > >>> few containers into a bigger container is easily worth $580!
        > >>>
        > >>> Not to mention the additional benefits of oil include: it is
        non-
        > >>> explosive (unlike propane), you don't have to worry about the
        tank
        > >>> freezing up /petering out right when you are in the middle of a
        > >>> project, is considered recycling by the EPA (it is carbon
        > >>>
        > >> neutral),
        > >>
        > >>> oil is non-toxic (propane is a carcinogen), and burns much
        cleaner
        > >>> (less NOX - smells better too)...
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>> Cheers,
        > >>>
        > >>> Jeshua Lacock, Owner
        > >>> <http://OpenOSX. com>
        > >>> phone: 877.240.1364
        > >>>
        > >>>
        > >>
        > >>
        > >>
        > >
        > >
        > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        > >
        > >
        > > ------------ --------- --------- ------
        > >
        > > For discussion of Metal Casting and related issues
        > > this list does not accept attachments.
        > >
        > > Files area and list services are at:
        > > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hobbicast
        > >
        > > For additional files and photos and off topic discussions
        > > check out these two affiliated sites:
        > > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/sandcrabs
        > > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Hobbicast1
        > >
        > > Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply
        > > http://budgetcastin gsupply.com/
        > >
        > > List Owner:
        > > owly@ttc-cmc. net
        > >
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -
        > >
        > >
        > > No virus found in this incoming message.
        > > Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com
        > > Version: 8.0.173 / Virus Database: 270.7.6/1715 - Release Date:
        10/8/2008 7:19 PM
        > >
        > >
        >
        > --
        >
        > yvt
        >
        > Rupert Wenig
        > Camrose, Alberta, Canada.
        >
        > email: rwenig2@xplornet. com
        >
        > http://users. xplornet. com/~rwenig/ Home/
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
      • Chris Horne
        ... That is really interesting ! The difference between a full and part empty cylinder is far greater than I imagined! Moral, for a big melt, use a full
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 10, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, David Patterson <odd_kins@...> wrote:
          >
          > This might help to decide if it's too cold to melt.
          > http://www.flameengineering.com/Propane_Info.html
          >
          > Dave Patterson
          > odd_kins@...
          > http://home.comcast.net/~oddkins/foundry_home.html

          That is really interesting !

          The difference between a full and part empty cylinder is far greater
          than I imagined!

          Moral, for a big melt, use a full cylinder, or save part used
          cylinders for the summer !
        • Nick Andrews
          ... Sounds to me like it s time to move south! -- Nick A You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 10, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            >
            > "It gets to -20 and occationally to -30 or lower here for about 4 months
            > out of the
            > year."
            >

            Sounds to me like it's time to move south!
            --
            Nick A

            "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a
            single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

            "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
            deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review
            of Pennsylvania, 1759

            "Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet."
            Anonymous

            "I believe that if you can't find something nice to say about somebody, then
            you must be talking about Hillary Clinton." Jeff Foxworthy


            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.