Re: [hobbicast] lawn mower melt WARNING

  • jbrennan3@austin.rr.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
      Be very careful with aluminum scrap so you don't attempt to melt magnesium !! test your scrap---Specifically some lawn mower parts will be magnesium .. it burns with a hot fire not extinguishable with water. in case of fire cover only with dry sand to slow the burning. Absolutely use no water.

      You can test with a drop of a 1 % solution of silver nitrate. applied to a freshly filed metal surface . Magnesium will immediately show a black stain . Aluminum will not change.

      You may be able to buy a dropper bottle of the test solution from a local pharmacy

      jesse
      ---- chucketn <chunk07@...> wrote:
      > I am in the process of tearing down three freebie lawnmowers for their
      > aluminum parts. Is there any special cleanup needed on the various
      > parts? such as the carbon on the head or piston? Or will melting to
      > ingots be enough?
      > On the first machine, even the gas tank is aluminum!I will flush it
      > with water and let it dry on the charcoal fire before forging.
      > I plan to heat the block pieces in a charcoal fire to aid in breaking
      > them into pieces to fit the crucible. Any other
      > suggestions/cautions/warnings?
      >
      > Chuck in E. Tennessee

    • Stone Tool
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
        You can hit it with the grinder and save the grindings..... and touch
        the grindings with the acetylene torch....... You'll get a white flash.
        Somebody tell me...... Isn't mag about double the weight of aluminum??
        Like pot metal, it looks like aluminum, but is considerably heavier I
        believe.

        Howard

        jbrennan3@... wrote:
        > Be very careful with aluminum scrap so you don't attempt to melt magnesium !! test your scrap---Specifically some lawn mower parts will be magnesium .. it burns with a hot fire not extinguishable with water. in case of fire cover only with dry sand to slow the burning. Absolutely use no water.
        >
        > You can test with a drop of a 1 % solution of silver nitrate. applied to a freshly filed metal surface . Magnesium will immediately show a black stain . Aluminum will not change.
        >
        > You may be able to buy a dropper bottle of the test solution from a local pharmacy
        >
        > jesse
        > ---- chucketn <chunk07@...> wrote:
        >> I am in the process of tearing down three freebie lawnmowers for their
        >> aluminum parts. Is there any special cleanup needed on the various
        >> parts? such as the carbon on the head or piston? Or will melting to
        >> ingots be enough?
        >> On the first machine, even the gas tank is aluminum!I will flush it
        >> with water and let it dry on the charcoal fire before forging.
        >> I plan to heat the block pieces in a charcoal fire to aid in breaking
        >> them into pieces to fit the crucible. Any other
        >> suggestions/cautions/warnings?
        >>
        >> Chuck in E. Tennessee

        > List Owner:

      • Gary Lekvold
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:

          > You can hit it with the grinder and save the grindings..... and touch
          > the grindings with the acetylene torch....... You'll get a white flash.
          > Somebody tell me...... Isn't mag about double the weight of aluminum??
          > Like pot metal, it looks like aluminum, but is considerably heavier I
          > believe.
          >
          > Howard
          Hi Howard
          I think you have things a bit turned around here. (happens to us older
          Montanans) Actually, I believe that magnesium is much lighter than
          aluminum. The specific gravity (sg) of magnesium is 1.74, and the sg
          for aluminum is 2.70. So-called "pot metal), usually zinc die casting
          alloys, is much heavier than aluminum.. I always use the silver
          nitrate solution to sort some of it out.

        • jbrennan3@austin.rr.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
            No aluminum is heavier ( denser) @v 2.7 grams /CC
            magnesium is 1.74 grams/cc.
            actual alloys will be a bit different.

            jesse
            ---- Gary Lekvold <lekvoldgl@...> wrote:
            > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > You can hit it with the grinder and save the grindings..... and touch
            > > the grindings with the acetylene torch....... You'll get a white flash.
            > > Somebody tell me...... Isn't mag about double the weight of aluminum??
            > > Like pot metal, it looks like aluminum, but is considerably heavier I
            > > believe.
            > >
            > > Howard
            > Hi Howard
            > I think you have things a bit turned around here. (happens to us older
            > Montanans) Actually, I believe that magnesium is much lighter than
            > aluminum. The specific gravity (sg) of magnesium is 1.74, and the sg
            > for aluminum is 2.70. So-called "pot metal), usually zinc die casting
            > alloys, is much heavier than aluminum.. I always use the silver
            > nitrate solution to sort some of it out.
            >
            > Gary> >
            > > >
            > > > For additional files and photos and off topic discussions
            > > > check out these two affiliated sites:
            > > >
            > > > Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply
            > > > http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
            > > >
            > > > List Owner:
            > > > owly@...
            > > >
            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Stone Tool
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
              Thanks Gary...... for straightening my muddled mind...... The torch
              test is far more fun for us pyro types!!!

              I spect I was actually thinking of titanium.... rather than mag as far
              as weight.

              You're down around Pasco or someplace aren't you??

              Howard

              Gary Lekvold wrote:
              > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:
              >> You can hit it with the grinder and save the grindings..... and touch
              >> the grindings with the acetylene torch....... You'll get a white flash.
              >> Somebody tell me...... Isn't mag about double the weight of aluminum??
              >> Like pot metal, it looks like aluminum, but is considerably heavier I
              >> believe.
              >>
              >> Howard
              > Hi Howard
              > I think you have things a bit turned around here. (happens to us older
              > Montanans) Actually, I believe that magnesium is much lighter than
              > aluminum. The specific gravity (sg) of magnesium is 1.74, and the sg
              > for aluminum is 2.70. So-called "pot metal), usually zinc die casting
              > alloys, is much heavier than aluminum.. I always use the silver
              > nitrate solution to sort some of it out.
              >
              > Gary> >
              >>>
              >>> For additional files and photos and off topic discussions
              >>> check out these two affiliated sites:
              >>>
              >>> Please visit our sponsor: Budget Casting Supply
              >>> http://budgetcastingsupply.com/
              >>>
              >>> List Owner:
              >>> owly@...
              >>>
              >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

              > List Owner:

            • Gary Lekvold
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Stone Tool <owly@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Gary...... for straightening my muddled mind...... The torch
                > test is far more fun for us pyro types!!!
                >
                > I spect I was actually thinking of titanium.... rather than mag as far
                > as weight.
                >
                > You're down around Pasco or someplace aren't you??
                >
                > Howard

                Hi Howard,
                Yep, down here in Pasco when I run across any fairly pure magnesium, I
                cut it up into nice sized chunks to add a little, "glow" to my outdoor
                firepit.

                Gary