Re: [hobbicast] fireclay

  • Daniel C Postellon
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2008
      Fireclay is often associated with coal seams in Western Pennsylvania. Maybe
      you can find a working mine? Might be one closer to you, as well, but I
      don't know the geology.

      > I will be traveling from E. Tennessee to North Bay, N.Y., Sidney, N.Y.
      > and then to Lake Harmony, PA., in about a week, for family visits and
      > reunion. Does anyone on the list live in these areas that would know
      > where to purchase fireclay in these areas? I can't find a local (less
      > than 80 mi) source in E. Tennessee.
      > Thanks,
      > Chuck

    • tom & janet
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
        >From: Daniel C Postellon <postello@...>
        >Date: 2008/08/31 Sun AM 09:37:21 CDT
        >To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [hobbicast] fireclay

        >Fireclay is often associated with coal seams in Western Pennsylvania. Maybe
        >you can find a working mine? Might be one closer to you, as well, but I
        >don't know the geology.
        >
        >> I will be traveling from E. Tennessee to North Bay, N.Y., Sidney, N.Y.
        >> and then to Lake Harmony, PA., in about a week, for family visits and
        >> reunion. Does anyone on the list live in these areas that would know
        >> where to purchase fireclay in these areas? I can't find a local (less
        >> than 80 mi) source in E. Tennessee.
        >> Thanks,
        >> Chuck
        >>
        > i live 10 miles south of pittsburgh. and our local builders supply stocks fire clay, kiefer coal and supply
        5088 w, library av
        bethel park pa 15102
        412 835 7900
        if you will be in the area, you might call first to make sure they aren't out of it for some reason. local brick masons use it for fire places, and i think it comes in 25lb, bags. used it to line my charcoal furnace. i mixed it 50/50 with portland cement. can't remember the price. hope this helps
        tom

      • giesser@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2008
          Try Porter Warner Industries in Chattanooga or Lancaster Foundry Supply in Lancaster, PA.

          Tom Cobett