Aluminum question

  • chucketn
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2008
      I am posting this to both the lath/machining groups and the casting
      groups to try to gather as much info/opinion as I can. As a computer
      tech, I often get dead hard drives which are a source for machineable
      aluminum. I am trying to make a milling attachment for my minilathe,
      patterned after Varmint Al's or GadgetBuilder's designs.
      That brings up 2 questions for those experienced in either machining or
      casting aluminum or both. If I go the angle plate route for the milling
      attachment, would an aluminum casting be strong enough? How about
      copying the topslide in aluminum? Would it be strong enough for milling
      small stuff, mostly aluminum? How much bigger in dimension would I have
      to make it for comparable strength?
    • Dan Brewer
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2008
        You need to increase the thickness by 1/4 that is if the original is 4
        quarters make it 5 quarters. Your finished product will mass less than a
        comparable steel or cast iron product. It should work just fine.

        Dan in Auburn