ferrous pull tabs

  • Daniel Postellon
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 17, 2008
      I have a question from some friends who do historical archaeology.
      What products come with a ferrous (magnetic, iron or steel, not
      aluminum) pull tab, with either a steel or aluminum lid? Not
      Campbell's soup, which has a steel lid and an aluminum pull tab. Any
      scrap melters out there with a ready answer?
      Dan Postellon
    • wbhinkle@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 17, 2008
        I think it was the tabs on older steel beer cans.
        bill hinkle
        in Oklahoma

        In a message dated 7/17/2008 6:06:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
        postello@... writes:

        I have a question from some friends who do historical archaeology.
        What products come with a ferrous (magnetic, iron or steel, not
        aluminum) pull tab, with either a steel or aluminum lid? Not
        Campbell's soup, which has a steel lid and an aluminum pull tab. Any
        scrap melters out there with a ready answer?
        Dan Postellon

        FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 17, 2008
          On Jul 17, 2008, at 5:16 PM, wbhinkle@... wrote:
          > I think it was the tabs on older steel beer cans.

          I would concur - I have seen them in historic sites rusting away...

          Regards,

          Jeshua Lacock, Owner
          <http://OpenOSX.com>
          phone: 877.240.1364
        • Lori Friese
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 17, 2008
            Hello,

            A while ago the fraudulent behavior of Merle Liess of Pyramid Products was listed on this list. He is now in Idaho and doing the same thing.

            If you would like his contact information please contact me.

            Thank you,

            Lori

          • Dennis Cranston
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 17, 2008
              Those of us of a certain age remember the transition from having to carry a
              'church key' to be able to get at the good stuff without assistance. There
              was a period when pull tabs were steel until they developed the techniques
              to roll the aluminum to get enough strength to handle the pull plus making
              the top thinner and scoring it to allow easier pulls. Early day memories,
              before the technique was perfected, of having a 6 pack with all the pull
              tabs pulled off and no church key still develops a good vocabulary.

              Dennis in Houston

            • Cliff. Johnston
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 17, 2008
                AH yes, the almighty church key - a right of passage when one learned that a can opener could be used for loftier purposes!

                Cliff. in Pearland
                "May the best you've ever seen,
                Be the worst you'll ever see;"
                from A Scots Toast by Allan Ramsay
                Those of us of a certain age remember the transition from having to carry a
                'church key' to be able to get at the good stuff without assistance. There
                was a period when pull tabs were steel until they developed the techniques
                to roll the aluminum to get enough strength to handle the pull plus making
                the top thinner and scoring it to allow easier pulls. Early day memories,
                before the technique was perfected, of having a 6 pack with all the pull
                tabs pulled off and no church key still develops a good vocabulary.

                Dennis in Houston

              • karl kean
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 18, 2008
                  Lori,
                  Would this be in regard to a defective product or not delivering what was ordered?
                  Karl

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 18, 2008
                    I remember in the early 60's we had steel beer cans that required an
                    opener...... Then they transitioned to a pull tab that you pulled and
                    threw on the ground (typically)...... I don't remember what the pull
                    tabs were made of though...... I was too young to be allowed to drink beer.

                    Howard

                    wbhinkle@... wrote:
                    > I think it was the tabs on older steel beer cans.
                    > bill hinkle
                    > in Oklahoma
                    >

                    > In a message dated 7/17/2008 6:06:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                    > postello@... writes:
                    >

                    > I have a question from some friends who do historical archaeology.
                    > What products come with a ferrous (magnetic, iron or steel, not
                    > aluminum) pull tab, with either a steel or aluminum lid? Not
                    > Campbell's soup, which has a steel lid and an aluminum pull tab. Any
                    > scrap melters out there with a ready answer?
                    > Dan Postellon
                    >

                    > **************Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for
                    > FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

                    > List Owner:

                  • Dan Fox
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 18, 2008
                      Ah, yes! Remember some of the ads created to instruct us on the new
                      technology? "Zip, tip, sip!" and IIRC there was some goofy cartoon guy
                      showing us how to open a Schlitz.

                      Oh for the days when all that was advertised during a football game
                      was razor blades and cigars.

                      --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Cranston" <dlcranston@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Those of us of a certain age remember the transition from having to
                      carry a
                      > 'church key' to be able to get at the good stuff without assistance.
                      There
                      > was a period when pull tabs were steel until they developed the
                      techniques
                      > to roll the aluminum to get enough strength to handle the pull plus
                      making
                      > the top thinner and scoring it to allow easier pulls. Early day
                      memories,
                      > before the technique was perfected, of having a 6 pack with all the
                      pull
                      > tabs pulled off and no church key still develops a good vocabulary.
                      >
                      > Dennis in Houston

                    • Lori Friese
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 18, 2008
                        For the people on the list it was stated that he took their orders and money and did not supply the products.

                        Lori
                        Would this be in regard to a defective product or not delivering what was ordered?
                        Karl
                        A while ago the fraudulent behavior of Merle Liess of Pyramid Products was listed on this list. He is now in Idaho and doing the same thing.

                        If you would like his contact information please contact me.

                        Thank you,

                        Lori

                        check out these two affiliated sites:

                        http://budgetcastingsupply.com/<http://budgetcastingsupply.com/>