Re: [hobbicast] Re: What aluminum alloy for SBC V8 intake manifold???

  • John Thornton
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2008
      356 and 319 are both good choices and I'd recommend 390 and 360 as well.
      If there are thin section 360 is very good for that. Better that the
      others listed in my opinion.
      771 needs no heat treatment for something like an intake manifold and
      polishes very nicely if you want a polished intake manifold.
      The intake manifolds I've made were mostly made using 360. You need
      cutting fluids and carbide to machine it but it's good stuff.
      Of the above 356 is the most likely to give you shrinkage problems and
      390 the least likely.
      If you're buying ingots get A319 rather than 319. The finish is better
      since 319's finish is generally iffy rather than good.

      John Thornton

      Lyle wrote:
      > My guess that 356 or maybe 319. Both flow real good, minimal shrinkage
      > where thickness varies, and are heat treatable. I pour many of my
      > castings in 356 even if they don't need heat treat just because it's so
      > forgiving.
      > LL
      >
      > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "fijord2005" <fijord2005@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Like what aluminum alloy is best for this application regarding
      >> conformity & longevity for this project? I'm planning on the "use
      >> once then destroy" baked sand mold with a vented "stepped gate" for
      >> rapid filling of the mold.
      >> Any body that I can "buddy" up with for info/tips that has been
      >> where I'm trying to get to? Really could use ALL the advise that you
      >> that have done it can send my way, like best gating system, venting,
      >> pre heating the mold, best temp to pour the medium etc. Quality
      >> advise saves a LOT of disappointment for those of us, like me, that
      >> are "greener" than an overly ripe avocado!
    • Lyle
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2008
        I think the real answer is whatever you choose, the end product will
        be a result of the gating/sprueing. I'd want a heat treatable alloy.
        Especially if threads need to be drilled and tappled. having said
        that, I cast several hundred air cleaner backing plates a year in
        scrap aluminum with threaded holes that are not heat treated. Maybe
        you should see what the foundry/pattern shop recommends?.