Re: [hobbicast] How to ... ?

  • Joe Hildreth
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 16, 2008
      Put them on a hot fire and watch for heat shortness. It will look like the
      AL is sweating and then bust it up with a hammer. A good hard wood fire and
      a little air will get you there in short order. Be safe.

      Regards,

      Joe Hildreth

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 16, 2008
        Lance
        Aluminium remains ductile all the way down to absolute zero. I used to design aluminium liquid helium dewars opperating at 4.6 K .

        Colin

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 16, 2008
          A couple of ways. Do you have a saws all? If so get a couple of long
          blades and start cutting. The next is to set up a cut down 55 gal drum
          lined wit an inch or so of castable refractory and a big porter style
          burner. St the make shift furnace up with a drain and have it drain into
          your ingot molds.

          Dan in Auburn

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 16, 2008
            --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Lance <gbof@...> wrote:

            I use a bandsaw as long as the pieces are not too big if they are i
            use a sledge hammer.
            I've heard of people useing a wood splitter for breaking up large
            pieces but have never tried it myself.a hydraulic press would probably
            work too.