How to ... ?

  • Lance
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 16, 2008
      I have a couple small engine blocks made from Al,
      roughly 2ft cube.

      I want to break them up for melting.

      I tried freezing and bashing.. HO HO NO GO !

      How do you guys break these up into bite sized
      chunks for the crucible? (#12)

      lance
      ++++
    • Joe Hildreth
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 16, 2008
        Put them on a hot fire and watch for heat shortness. It will look like the
        AL is sweating and then bust it up with a hammer. A good hard wood fire and
        a little air will get you there in short order. Be safe.

        Regards,

        Joe Hildreth

        >I have a couple small engine blocks made from Al,
        > roughly 2ft cube.
        >
        > I want to break them up for melting.
        >
        > I tried freezing and bashing.. HO HO NO GO !
        >
        > How do you guys break these up into bite sized
        > chunks for the crucible? (#12)
        >
        > lance
        > ++++

        > List Owner:

      • C.S.Johnson
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 16, 2008
          Lance
          Aluminium remains ductile all the way down to absolute zero. I used to design aluminium liquid helium dewars opperating at 4.6 K .

          Colin

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 16, 2008
            A couple of ways. Do you have a saws all? If so get a couple of long
            blades and start cutting. The next is to set up a cut down 55 gal drum
            lined wit an inch or so of castable refractory and a big porter style
            burner. St the make shift furnace up with a drain and have it drain into
            your ingot molds.

            Dan in Auburn

            _____

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 16, 2008
              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Lance <gbof@...> wrote:

              I use a bandsaw as long as the pieces are not too big if they are i
              use a sledge hammer.
              I've heard of people useing a wood splitter for breaking up large
              pieces but have never tried it myself.a hydraulic press would probably
              work too.