...using household fiberglass insulation on low temp kiln..?

  • sweetgumstudio
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 20, 2008
      I'm planning on using an old 200 gallon tank as a kiln for retrieving
      wax, et cetera. It will need to get 800 degrees max...

      Basically, I was planning on wrapping the OUTside of the tank with
      standard fiberglass insulation. Then, cover that with heavy aluminum
      foil, and foil tape to hold it together...

      Does this make sense..?
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 20, 2008
        On Feb 20, 2008, at 6:35 PM, sweetgumstudio wrote:

        > I'm planning on using an old 200 gallon tank as a kiln for retrieving
        > wax, et cetera. It will need to get 800 degrees max...
        >
        > Basically, I was planning on wrapping the OUTside of the tank with
        > standard fiberglass insulation. Then, cover that with heavy aluminum
        > foil, and foil tape to hold it together...
        >
        > Does this make sense..?

        Hello,

        I am not sure but I suspect that 800F will be too hot for standard
        fiberglass insulation.

        I would suggest looking at 2,000F ceramic blanket, something like
        Kaowool....

        Cheers,

        Jeshua Lacock, Owner
        <http://OpenOSX.com>
        phone: 877.240.1364
      • Dan Brewer
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 20, 2008
          To fire your investment you will need to hold 1100 deg F for 5 to 20 hours
          depending on the size of you burn out. I would go to Dan Hartman's site and
          look at what he did to make an electric furnace
          http://www.dansworkshop.com/Homebuilt%20Electric%20Melting%20Furnace.shtml .
          You will need a hole in the bottom and a pan inside to catch the meted wax
          and drain it out side the furnace. The long burn out time are to make sure
          that all of the wax is out of the mold and what is left is just ash. Also
          the investment must be fired to drive out all of the moisture and vitrify
          the investment.

          Dan in Auburn

          _____

          On Feb 20, 2008, at 6:35 PM, sweetgumstudio wrote:

          > I'm planning on using an old 200 gallon tank as a kiln for retrieving
          > wax, et cetera. It will need to get 800 degrees max...
          >
          > Basically, I was planning on wrapping the OUTside of the tank with
          > standard fiberglass insulation. Then, cover that with heavy aluminum
          > foil, and foil tape to hold it together...
          >
          > Does this make sense..?

          Hello,

          I am not sure but I suspect that 800F will be too hot for standard
          fiberglass insulation.

          I would suggest looking at 2,000F ceramic blanket, something like
          Kaowool....

          Cheers,

          Jeshua Lacock, Owner
          <http://OpenOSX. <http://OpenOSX.com> com>
          phone: 877.240.1364

        • Doug
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 20, 2008
            On Wednesday, February 20, 2008 21:52, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
            > On Feb 20, 2008, at 6:35 PM, sweetgumstudio wrote:
            > > I'm planning on using an old 200 gallon tank as a kiln for retrieving
            > > wax, et cetera. It will need to get 800 degrees max...
            > >
            > > Basically, I was planning on wrapping the OUTside of the tank with
            > > standard fiberglass insulation. Then, cover that with heavy aluminum
            > > foil, and foil tape to hold it together...
            > >
            > > Does this make sense..?
            >
            > Hello,
            >
            > I am not sure but I suspect that 800F will be too hot for standard
            > fiberglass insulation.
            >
            > I would suggest looking at 2,000F ceramic blanket, something like
            > Kaowool....
            >

            > Cheers,
            >
            > Jeshua Lacock, Owner
            > <http://OpenOSX.com>
            > phone: 877.240.1364

            According to the web site;
            <http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/insulation-temperatures-d_922.html> 800F
            isn't too much.

            My experience, when I've used fiberglass near hot surfaces like stove pipe,
            is that it does give off a odor when it gets really hot. If I remember
            correctly the yellow kind also turned white after was it hot. It seems to me
            that it must have some kind of dye or binder in it. I wouldn't use it in a
            closed space until it had been heated for a while.
          • Lance
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 20, 2008
              When I researched this, I found MP pink fiberglass,
              NO backing, listed as 1200 F.

              It deforms considerably near its MP.

              lance
              ++++

              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 20, 2008
                Take a look at this site.
                http://www.mcgillswarehouse.com/groupslist.aspx?CategoryID=109
                <http://www.mcgillswarehouse.com/groupslist.aspx?CategoryID=109&CN=FiberBoar
                d,Blanket,Paper> &CN=FiberBoard,Blanket,Paper They carry ceramic wool that
                will go in the furnace. It insulates real good . Coat the surface with ITC
                100 to seal the fibers in. What type of heat source are you trying to use?
                Ceramic fiber works well with gas or electric. It will not support the
                electric elements so you would need to figure that part out.

                Dan in Auburn

                _____

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 21, 2008
                  On Feb 20, 2008, at 10:02 PM, Lance wrote:

                  > When I researched this, I found MP pink fiberglass,
                  > NO backing, listed as 1200 F.

                  I suspect that it work for a while...

                  The temperatures involved are pretty close to its rating... and for
                  continuous times.

                  You can even get away with cement for a while, but it will after a
                  few firings will start to crumble and I suspect that fiberglass would
                  be similar.

                  I think that as affordable as fiber blanket is it would be worth it
                  and last a lot longer...

                  Just my 2¢,

                  Cheers,

                  Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                  <http://OpenOSX.com>
                  phone: 877.240.1364
                • sweetgumstudio
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 21, 2008
                    First, I'd like to thank everyone for chiming in, it's encouraging...

                    As for the insulation, I'll wait until I can afford the Kaowool.
                    Hopefully I can make it before summer...

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 21, 2008
                      On Feb 21, 2008, at 6:52 AM, sweetgumstudio wrote:

                      > First, I'd like to thank everyone for chiming in, it's encouraging...
                      >
                      > As for the insulation, I'll wait until I can afford the Kaowool.
                      > Hopefully I can make it before summer...

                      Hi,

                      I'm not sure how many square feet you need, but I have bought from
                      this place before (great service), and 50 square feet of 1" thick
                      2300F blanket is $49.88:

                      http://myworld.ebay.com/hightempinc/

                      1" could do, but 2" would be much more economical for fuel. Maybe you
                      could maybe start off with an 1" and add an 1" down the road...

                      Cheers,

                      Jeshua Lacock, Owner
                      <http://OpenOSX.com>
                      phone: 877.240.1364
                    • Rupert
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 21, 2008
                        Hi,
                        You might be able to find a cheap source of Kaowool in discarded hot
                        water tanks. I scraped a few commercial hot water tanks a couple of
                        years ago. They had a nice layer of what I think is 1/2" kaowool
                        surrounding the fire box area. Don't recall seeing any in domestic tanks.

                        Rupert

                        --
                        yvt

                        Rupert Wenig
                        Camrose, Alberta, Canada.

                        email: rwenig2@...

                        http://www3.telus.net/public/rwenig/
                      • Lance
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 22, 2008
                          Help Needed

                          I received shipment today of an antique cast iron post drill.
                          The top hand wheel was shattered. It's about 5" in diameter
                          and has a toothed gear on the underside and a center hub for a
                          spindle.

                          Would any of you who work cast iron be able to
                          pour me a replacement piece? I'd mail you the
                          pieces and a photo of what it's supposed to look like.

                          I'd need a price quote and a time estimate.

                          If you think brass or bronze would work better,
                          cast better detail of the teeth or wear better,
                          then I would entertain that.

                          Thanks for giving this some thought.

                          lance
                          ++++

                        • Rexarino
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 22, 2008
                            Lance, if you're near Portland, Oregon, we can prolly make one for you from
                            wheelium, while you watch. You bring the beer.

                            rexarino

                            On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Lance <gbof@...> wrote:

                            > Help Needed
                            >
                            > I received shipment today of an antique cast iron post drill.
                            > The top hand wheel was shattered. It's about 5" in diameter
                            > and has a toothed gear on the underside and a center hub for a
                            > spindle.
                            >
                            > Would any of you who work cast iron be able to
                            > pour me a replacement piece? I'd mail you the
                            > pieces and a photo of what it's supposed to look like.
                            >
                            > I'd need a price quote and a time estimate.
                            >
                            > If you think brass or bronze would work better,
                            > cast better detail of the teeth or wear better,
                            > then I would entertain that.
                            >
                            > Thanks for giving this some thought.
                            >
                            > lance
                            > ++++

                            > List Owner:

                          • Glen Fodale
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 23, 2008
                              Don't know if you'd be interested, or want to wait for May / June, but
                              there are two iron casting classes at the National Ornamental Metal
                              Museum on iron casting. You could learn iron casting with a cupola
                              furnace and make your part at the same time.
                              The classes are on the weekend.
                              http://www.metalmuseum.org/classes_cat/current_classes.php will take
                              you to their page for classes.
                              If you are interested, and have further questions of me, send them via
                              email, as I don't always have time to check the group.
                              (I took the class a few years ago, and cast my own fire pot for my forge.)

                              --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Lance <gbof@...> wrote:

                              > Help Needed
                              >
                              > I received shipment today of an antique cast iron post drill.
                              > The top hand wheel was shattered. It's about 5" in diameter
                              > and has a toothed gear on the underside and a center hub for a
                              > spindle.
                              >
                              > Would any of you who work cast iron be able to
                              > pour me a replacement piece? I'd mail you the
                              > pieces and a photo of what it's supposed to look like.
                              >
                              > I'd need a price quote and a time estimate.
                              >
                              > If you think brass or bronze would work better,
                              > cast better detail of the teeth or wear better,
                              > then I would entertain that.
                              >
                              > Thanks for giving this some thought.
                              >
                              > lance
                              > ++++

                            • jsrestore
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 24, 2008
                                Lance if your machine is a champion post drill i might have a
                                replacement for you , i have a post drill thatI have been harvesting
                                parts from, i would want $50 dollars plus shipping for it,i can send
                                you pics ,,let me know,,, Jon - In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, Lance
                                <gbof@...> wrote:

                                > Help Needed
                                >
                                > I received shipment today of an antique cast iron post drill.
                                > The top hand wheel was shattered. It's about 5" in diameter
                                > and has a toothed gear on the underside and a center hub for a
                                > spindle.
                                >
                                > Would any of you who work cast iron be able to
                                > pour me a replacement piece? I'd mail you the
                                > pieces and a photo of what it's supposed to look like.
                                >
                                > I'd need a price quote and a time estimate.
                                >
                                > If you think brass or bronze would work better,
                                > cast better detail of the teeth or wear better,
                                > then I would entertain that.
                                >
                                > Thanks for giving this some thought.
                                >
                                > lance
                                > ++++

                              • Lance
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 25, 2008
                                  Rexarino,

                                  I'm in Hamburg NY, 15 min south of Buffalo.
                                  I will be in LA at the end of March, so I looked up
                                  the flight costs to and from Portland to LA and Holy Crap
                                  it's expensive to fly to Portland !

                                  I can fly from Bflo to LA for a few bucks more.
                                  Doesn't Portland want tourists?

                                  How about if I mail you the pieces and a case of beer,
                                  can you make the part and drink the beer?

                                  lance
                                  ++++

                                  On Feb 22, 2008, at 6:19 PM, Rexarino wrote:

                                  > Lance, if you're near Portland, Oregon, we can prolly make one for
                                  > you from
                                  > wheelium, while you watch. You bring the beer.
                                  >
                                  > rexarino
                                  >
                                  > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Lance <gbof@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Help Needed
                                  > >
                                  > > I received shipment today of an antique cast iron post drill.
                                  > > The top hand wheel was shattered. It's about 5" in diameter
                                  > > and has a toothed gear on the underside and a center hub for a
                                  > > spindle.
                                  > >
                                  > > Would any of you who work cast iron be able to
                                  > > pour me a replacement piece? I'd mail you the
                                  > > pieces and a photo of what it's supposed to look like.
                                  > >
                                  > > I'd need a price quote and a time estimate.
                                  > >
                                  > > If you think brass or bronze would work better,
                                  > > cast better detail of the teeth or wear better,
                                  > > then I would entertain that.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for giving this some thought.
                                  > >
                                  > > lance
                                  > > ++++

                                  > > List Owner:
                                  > > owly@...
                                  > >

                                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Rexarino
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 26, 2008
                                    Lance, I'll be near LA in a week, so I'll look for the pieces while I'm
                                    there...., and yes Portland wants tourists, but the airlines don't know how
                                    to get here... <BG>

                                    Send a picture of the pieces, or post to the group, and give me a couple of
                                    weeks to respond as I'll be very busy until about March 18. Maybe Joe and I
                                    can do it, maybe not, but we'll look at the pictures and give you a FREE
                                    opinion.

                                    rexarino

                                  • Daniel C Postellon
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 27, 2008
                                      Are there any list members in Hawaii? I'll be visiting in May, and wouldn't
                                      mind an opportunity to see someone's setup. Dan Postellon