crucible recommendation for iron

  • Kirk
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 12, 2008
      I am looking to cast a few model locomotive wheels in cast iron. This will be a very small amount. Should I get carbon/graphite or silicon carbide crucible?

      Thanks

    • Lyle
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2008
        Either one.
        LL

        --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Kirk" <kirkbecnel@...> wrote:

        > I am looking to cast a few model locomotive wheels in cast iron. This
        will be a very small amount. Should I get carbon/graphite or silicon
        carbide crucible?

        > Thanks

      • Rod Evans
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 27, 2008
          --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle" <creepinogie@...> wrote:

          > Either one.
          > LL
          >
          > --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Kirk" <kirkbecnel@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am looking to cast a few model locomotive wheels in cast iron.
          This
          > will be a very small amount. Should I get carbon/graphite or
          silicon
          > carbide crucible?
          > >
          > > Thanks

          I would rethink that clay/graphite is the way to go for cast iron as
          will dissolve silicon carbide, I think, thats what I have heard and
          I'm sticking to it. Rod
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27, 2008
            On Feb 27, 2008, at 9:23 PM, Rod Evans wrote:

            > I would rethink that clay/graphite is the way to go for cast iron as
            > will dissolve silicon carbide, I think, thats what I have heard and

            Hello,

            It will readily adsorb graphite (carbon) too. Too much carbon can
            make iron unpourable. Nevertheless if one minimizes the amount of
            time the iron is in the crucible it can be used.

            Ciao,

            Jeshua Lacock, Owner
            <http://OpenOSX.com>
            phone: 877.240.1364
          • Dan Brewer
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 27, 2008
              If you use a clay graphite crucible it will only last a couple of melts at
              Iron temps. The silicone carbide will last a lot longer. Both of the
              crucibles will be eaten by the flux you use.

              Dan in Auburn

              _____

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28, 2008
                I heard the opposite and use clay graphite which seem to last. But am
                no expert. I don't use any flux for iron either.
                I used a silicon carbide this last year for the first time with
                aluminum, just to try it and it had some weird glaze on the outside
                that took a few melts for it to quit sweating. It'll be an
                interesting compairson to see how long it lasts.
                Lyle

                --- In hobbicast@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Brewer" <danqualman@...>
                wrote:

                > If you use a clay graphite crucible it will only last a couple of
                melts at
                > Iron temps. The silicone carbide will last a lot longer. Both of
                the
                > crucibles will be eaten by the flux you use.
                >
                > Dan in Auburn
                >

                > _____

                On Behalf
                > Of Rod Evans
                > Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:24 PM
                > To: hobbicast@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [hobbicast] Re: crucible recommendation for iron
                >

                > --- In hobbicast@yahoogrou <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com>
                ps.com,
                > "Lyle" <creepinogie@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Either one.
                > > LL
                > >
                > > --- In hobbicast@yahoogrou <mailto:hobbicast%40yahoogroups.com>
                ps.com,
                > "Kirk" <kirkbecnel@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I am looking to cast a few model locomotive wheels in cast
                iron.
                > This
                > > will be a very small amount. Should I get carbon/graphite or
                > silicon
                > > carbide crucible?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks

                > I would rethink that clay/graphite is the way to go for cast iron
                as
                > will dissolve silicon carbide, I think, thats what I have heard and
                > I'm sticking to it. Rod

              • dan manders
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 29, 2008
                  I'd read that silicon carbide crucibles aren't rated for iron melting
                  temperatures...I bought a clay graphite one, and after about 10 melts,
                  there's no appereciable deterioration. I've been trying glass as a
                  flux and it doesn't seem to do any damage either.